Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Would you say the PS4 Pro is worth it under these conditions?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Would you say the PS4 Pro is worth it under these conditions? (47 votes)

Yeah, seems fine. 26%
    No, it's still not worth getting. 51%
    ... I don't know. 23%

This is more of a 'what would you do?' kind of thing, more than it is giving me real advice, because I'll probably choose on my own and talk to my brother about it to really decide (though suggestions may have some effect, but I want to be honest). So, I've had the original model of the PS4 since the end of 2013, and with the PS4 Pro coming, I am not sure I want it, but the thing is, if I got one, I would most likely (if my brother was up to it) go in on half, so we'd both pay around $215 more or less; then we could give the one we currently have to my other brother so they can play multiplayer if they wanted to, as he only owns an Xbox One. Another good reason is that it could be future proofing for 4K, even though that's not really on my mind. I know the updates for 1080p might be marginal; I don't know, but I kind of want it, and was wondering what others would do under these conditions. I'm also interested in Xbox Scorpio. I am not that into the whole couple/few year new iteration of console, but it does just come down to price more than anything, second is room in my house for stuff like that.

• 
    Dayve86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you still have a 1080p TV I wouldn't bother. I might get a pro eventually but imo the TV comes first as by the time I upgrade my TV and receiver the pro is either going to be cheaper or there will be a PS5 or whatever they do next.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Do you plan to get a 4k TV or VR headset I the future? Of the answer to that is no the there is literally no point in getting a PS pro. And if you want to future proof for 4k the Xbox Scorpio will probably be a safer bet because it actually had a 4k blu ray drive and 4k games will be thin on the gtound

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Without a 4K TV I don't see the point.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in a similar situation where I want to get one because then I could give my current launch PS4 to my younger sister (did the same thing with my PS3 when the third slim came out). But like others have said here my main dilemma is that Sony really hasn't given me a reason to get this thing unless I have a 4K TV, which I have no interest in getting anytime soon since I upgraded my TV the same time I got a PS4. So unless Sony comes out and gives a reason to people out there who aren't upgrading their sets anytime soon I think the Pro is a no for me. I will say that before hey had the Pro event I was all in for this new device but not so much now.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ericjasonwade: Totally feel the same about it.

@yesiamaduck: 4K, most likely, just not in the near future. VR I am less excited for (or, perhaps not, but it has more to prove), so no to VR right now either.

@marcsman: Not even for the reasons I mentioned? Basically half price, my brother will get a free PS4 so my brothers can play multiplayer together (I am not a fan of playing MP, so I exclude myself, and they like playing together), as well as just future proofing it in case I do get one, but future proofing is less likely a reason since there is, and will be other choices in the future that will probably be better.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hunkulese

Trying to future proof is always a bad idea since there's always something better and/or cheaper just around the corner.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I'd wait till it's actually out to see what it actually does first.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.