Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 Pro Really Loud. Experiences?

chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By chan05

Disclaimer: Don't get me wrong I believe that most people have a perfectly quiet PS4 Pro but it seems like some people got bad units. I don't want to start a war here. Regarding noise levels, this videos is very similar to my experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm9hq5Bt3OA&t .

So I finally bought a PS4 Pro yesterday and was eager to try all my games and to see how they look and play on the new hardware. Sadly already the first game got me kind of scared that I purchased a bad unit:

1. Ghost Recon Wildlands: fans spin up so loud already in the menus that I was seriously worried that something is wrong. For reference, I don't hear too well and I'm not sensitive about that kind of stuff but even sitting 5m from the TV I was worried about the noise that thing made. Deactivated boost mode, which I thought wouldn't even make a difference for pro enabled games. However, this dropped the noise down significantly. Cannot explain why that is. But still the fans are annoyingly loud.

2. Batman Arkham Knight in Boost Mode: Completely silent. No noise at all.

3. Horizon Zero Dawn (no Boost Mode on): Even louder than Ghost Recon. Switching to Performance instead of Resolution Mode makes it a bit less noisy but still too loud to enjoy playing it in a quiet living room.

4. Persona 5 (in Boost Mode): Completely Silent. No noise at all

5. Titanfall 2: Incredibly loud. In the training parcour at the beginning of the game simply looking at the fountain in the middle of the room made the fans go crazy. In one of the first level with actual geometry and enemies it was even worse.

So the pattern seems to be that Pro Enabled games are really loud while "classic" games are no problem at all even though I run them in boost mode. I consider returning it tomorrow. However, from reading up online I'm worried it comes down to luck whether you are getting a silent PS4 Pro or a noisy one.

So was someone able to "fix" this issue one their own? Did someone have the same problem and managed to return if for a quieter device? Would really love some advice on how to move forward. 400 Euros leads to some serious buyers remorse...

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Are you running these games on disc? I had the same issue you were having a while back and it turned out that when I played the same games digitally it was as cool as a cucumber.

chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@katpottz: Yes all the games that are really loud are on disc. But it clearly isn't the disc drive that is causing the noise. However, it could be that the disc somehow reduces its cooling capabilities..idk

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Is the temp in the room high? Does the room have good airflow? Does the system have enough clearance around it so it has good airflow?

retrometal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

All PS4 games install on to the hard drive, so the disc is only spun up at the launch to check DRM.

@katpottz said:

Are you running these games on disc? I had the same issue you were having a while back and it turned out that when I played the same games digitally it was as cool as a cucumber.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Something to note about the PS4 Pro is that it is basically two PS4's together, and older non-pro games basically shut off half of the console for compatibility, and i believe boost mode still shuts off half the console, but runs in an overclocked state. While the pro enabled games use all the horsepower of the entire system, which would make it run hotter.

I know some games make my regular PS4 fans work real hard, so it might just be those games specifically. Metal Gear Solid 5 being the best example, i think it was every time you where in the chopper messing with menus it got concerningly loud, but i believe everyone had that happen in that same spot. And also the temperature if you are in a house without AC, the fans will kick in a higher gear understandably when it gets hot in my house.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7  Edited By GERALTITUDE

If you just bought your PS4 Pro, I might recommend you replace it asap, regardless of whether it is a real issue or not. Will just save you the pain of wishing you had done so later (when you can't). And worst case, if the new PS4 is the same, well.... you're in the same position.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For whatever reason, I've found the first few minutes of playing a new game off the disc make something inside it get real loud before it drops back down to real quiet. Guess it's something to do with installation or something? I'm no tech wizard. Think the longest one I experienced was 30 minutes or so for Bloodborne.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If it's anything like the video you posted, that's a faulty unit.

My Pro's definitely noticeably louder than my standard PS4 when it comes to the fans, especially when you've got a game pushing the hardware, but it's nowhere near that bad.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By LeStephan

That sounds really weird to me as well, I replaced my regular ps4 with a pro because it was so goddamn loud I could literally not properly hear my games trough it(loudest console I own by far). My pro is even more silent than the goshdarn psvr box by itself, I unplug it when I stop playing vr because i can than enjoy how silent the pro is. Only sound that is audible through gameplay for me with the pro is the spinning of the discdrive. And yes MOST games only use the drive when starting the game but theres definitely some that do seem to need to read the disc midgame, it even happens when not playing sometimes (The discdrive always spins for little when an update just got installed for example)

@dave_tacitus said:

If it's anything like the video you posted, that's a faulty unit.

My Pro's definitely noticeably louder than my standard PS4 when it comes to the fans, especially when you've got a game pushing the hardware, but it's nowhere near that bad.

Anyways, the OP should definitely bring it back for replacement. Worst case senario its the same.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I can't use the PS4 anymore since the noise levels sound dangerous, both disc and digital. It's been keeping me from investing in a PS4 Pro since I assume they didn't care about noise during production.

chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Update: So I've scheduled it for a replacement unit with the Sony support. However, before that the Sony hotline told me to go into safe mode and rebuild the database. For whatever reason this helped to reduce the noise by quit a large amount. It's still not normal but it's really surprising that things like this can have an impact on fan noise...Really strange.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Mine gets loud at times, I've been playing Nioh digitally. And I am wondering.

I will consider that rebuild database approach, I have heard something like that before.

wapostyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I know this is a very old thread but I have a recent experience with this. I picked up a used Pro and it was so loud I needed noise cancelling headphones to use it. It would also throw messages that it was too hot and would crash.

I went through the standard videos and articles that basically said "clean the fan". This did not work or help in the slightest. I got brave enough to pull the whole thing apart and found the true issue.

Whoever put the thermal paste on these things did it completely wrong. The paste was smeared all around the CPU with nothing on it. I ordered some new paste and put it on properly and every noise issue was resolved. I think it may even be quieter than the PS4 Slim now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.