Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 auto download doesn't work for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-587b6acd5d124
    deactivated-587b6acd5d124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was wondering if someone could explain why the Playstation store's auto download never works correctly for me.

I've pre ordered 3 games on PSN for conveniences sake in the last year, and each one of those times the auto download option I selected for pre load did not work correctly.

It was kind of a bummer coming home from work, expecting to be able to play Bloodborne, but instead having to watch Sony's slow download speeds crawl across the screen.

I checked my MGS V pre order to see if it had the same problem, low and behold, it wasn't working as advertised.

Anyone else have this problem or know why it hasn't worked for me?

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hit and miss I guess. I booted up my PS4 to check and see if MGSV preload had started and I don't know if me turning on the ps4 to check started it or not but when I tried to start the download it said that it had already begun downloading but it seems like the download started moments before I hit the download button. I guess you have to stay on top of it and not just assume the PS4 is gonna do it properly. which sucks. but at least its preloading now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z: Started the download from my phone, (which is amazing in and of itself) and I just can't help but think how great a digital only console could be. Sony just consistently proves they aren't there yet.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Devil240Z

@drmantistabogganmd said:

@devil240z: Started the download from my phone, (which is amazing in and of itself) and I just can't help but think how great a digital only console could be. Sony just consistently proves they aren't there yet.

Yeah. Really though this gen is just the proof of concept for that future. But its not here yet for sure.

Also holy balls when it first started downloading the game was like 5 gigs and then after that finished it began download the "application data" which is 26 gigs!

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z: The application data is the entire game. It initially downloads the 5GB to let you launch it, then it downloads the other 21GB in the background.

I know when I preload games I have to go into my Library and check the auto-download option. Just letting it go won't always work.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I've never had it work. Sleep mode downloads turned on, all power saving settings set so it can turn itself on from sleep mode, can connect to the internet in sleep mode, and whenever I download from the PSN store on a PC it will go into my "Download Queue" but never starts downloading until I go home and boot up my PS4.

No idea what the point of the feature is if it never works.

ian280291

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Never had a problem with it myself. The other day I "purchased" the CoD BO2 beta from my phone and when I got home it was waiting for me on the dashboard.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ian280291: could the difference be that you didn't pre order the beta? When I download from my phone to the PS4 it always works. But when I pre order a game it never auto downloads.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

My problem usually is that I actually have to manually start the download, even if it says it will auto-download. Also, if there is a day one patch, I actually have to be logged in to have it update. None of this works from Rest Mode usually. I would say there are only one or two times it all worked correctly and I've purchased probably about 10 games using the system. I prefer having the digital copy of the game because it seems to have shorter load times and it runs more smoothly. But the whole pre-load thing is trash. If they are going to make us manually pre-load they should allow us to do so far in advance like XBOX ONE does.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@drmantistabogganmd: hey duder, real quick question: is your PS4 in standby mode or is it on when you want to start a download?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l4wd0g: I have it set to rest mode when I power down, But I also have the 'Enable turning on PS4 from network' setting enabled under 'power save settings'

I havnt tried to auto download anything since MGSV because it's been so unreliable. They could have sorted this out in the last 5 months.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@drmantistabogganmd: Enable Turning On of PS4 from Network is the problem I had. Did you turn it on under power saving options-> Functions available in rest mode -> Connect to the Internet?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l4wd0g: Yep. Far as I know that's the only way I could get it to run when I was at work. It would never auto download on its own, even in rest mode.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.