Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Playstation Year in Review Emails - Share Your Shame!

shinofkod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

PS4 owners who haven't opted out of receiving Sony's marketing emails probably got the 2017 year in review email from Sony. Among the details listed in it are your total hours played for the year. The average PS4 user played 218 hours..... I played 902 (egads!) (141 hours of just Rocket League).

Needless to say the hours total was shocking for me. I figured I was putting in no more than about 500 total. But between just 3 games, Rocket League (141), Destiny 2 (136) and Horizon: Zero Dawn (130) I had over 400 hours on just those titles.

I'd like to hear what some other GB users totals were and their 3 most played games so please share!

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Hmm I think I opted out, but is there a way to see this anyways? I bet my Destiny 2 hours would number 100 or so.

shinofkod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By shinofkod
    marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#4 marino  Staff

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

Darn! Didn’t get an email and logging in won’t show.

I wish Sony would allow access to this info at the console level. Especially since it’s data they are tracking.

shinofkod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightyduck: Yeah they have some real deep hooks in there. I remember during my time playing Horizon I got an email about specific things I had done during the game that weren't tied to any sort of trophy. I'm guessing that's the sort of data they scrape to determine what to do in sequels? Either way I'm just really curious as to what all we don't know they are observing about player habits.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By shiftygism

I wish they hadn't sent me mine, I kinda want to game less now....but considering how high it was it's no wonder my television backlog grew so large last year.

1232hrs played over 37 titles with 159hrs in October.

589 trophies earned, including six platinums....but it says the first of those was Saints Row 4, when that was actually my most recent.

Top three games...

1. WWE2K17 - 352hrs
    2. WWE2K18 - 207hrs
    3. Saints Row 4: Re-Elected - 85hrs

Most played online game - Star Wars: Battlefront II ....but that won by default as I just signed up for Playstation Plus.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By Nodima

Well, first of all, it's cool to learn this year was the tenth anniversary of my having a Playstation Network account. Anyway, I love stats, so I'm just going to share everything.

FIRST STOP: NBA 2K17, on January 2nd. Apparently I had no time for gaming on New Year's Day.

TOAL TIME PLAYED: 1,490 hours (untrustworthy; I let games idle a lot while I read articles or rewind to watch a prescient part of a Giant Bomb/Desus & Mero video)

TOTAL GAMES PLAYED: 27

MOST "PRODUCTIVE" MONTH: April, with 179 hours played (this was likely MLB The Show's Diamond Dynasty exclusively)

TOP 3 GAMES PLAYED (BY HOURS): MLB THE SHOW 17: 869 hours; Destiny 2: 163 hours (and I only played this for a month and a half...); NBA 2K18: 146 hours

MY TOP GENRE: Sports

TOTAL TROPHIES EARNED: 214 (170 bronze, 27 silver, 16 gold, 1 platinum...the first season of Telltale's Batman...) which puts me in the 90th percentile of trophy earners for 2017 (honestly shocked to learn that)

MOST PRODUCTIVE MONTH, TROPHY EDITION: November, with 64 trophies (that's 30% of all the trophies I earned this year in one month!)

AND YET, COMPARED TO 2016...: 214 trophies in 2017, 377 trophies in 2016...a 43% regression in "productivity". Weird, since I basically took gaming off for half the year last year in pursuit of a relationship...

OH YEAH, I HAVE PLAYSTATION PLUS...: I added 18 free games to my library this year, but only saved a paltry $16.00 in discounts. I blame it on having to move out and the bars and whatnot.

MOST PLAYED ONLINE GAME: MLB THE SHOW 17

ESOTERICA: I streamed one hour of music on Playstation Music.

(For those who opted out of the marketing, let me drop some of the community stats here)

TOP 3 GAMES PLAYED (BY HOURS) ACROSS PLAYSTATION NETWORK: Grand Theft Auto V: 1.13 billion hours; NBA 2K17: 767 million hours; Call of Duty: Black Ops III: 519m hours

AVERAGE PLAYSTATION GAMER'S HOURS PER MONTH: 218 hours (I...I don't think I'm understanding this statistic correctly...is it the kids?)

MOST ACTIVE MONTH FOR PLAYSTATION: July, with 1.13 billion total gaming hours

MOST PLAYED ONLINE GAME: Grand Theft Auto V

@mightyduck I don't want to risk giving away something about my account, but if you or someone you know is good at sussing out URLs, this is the base of the more in-depth webpage they offer you in the course of the email. Maybe you can find your information there? https://www.playstation.com/en-us/campaigns/2017/wrap-up

shinofkod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima said:
    AVERAGE PLAYSTATION GAMER'S HOURS PER MONTH: 218 hours (I...I don't think I'm understanding this statistic correctly...is it the kids?)
    As far as I can tell, that is the average users playtime for a year. Didn't see anything referring to that being monthly in the descriptor.
    MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I played a total of 1040 hours last year over 58 different games and earned 375 trophies. The most surprising thing to learn was that I spent more time playing on my PSTV than pretty much everything I did on PS4.

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hadn't notice this email, found it on my trash now that you mentioned.

Total of 425 hours.

Top 3: Persona 5 (120h), Horizon Zero Dawn (44h) and Mass Effect 2 (32 h)

297 Trophies (top 10% it says)

Pretty cool! Curious if this counts the vita, maybe I didn't play my vita as much as I thought I did.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sign in isn't working for me and I never got an email. Is this a US only thing? Anyone from the EU get one?

WillyOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@jesus_phish: Looks like if you've opted out of marketing emails you can't get this one retroactively, or not that I've seen. Bummer!

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ballsleon: I do get marketing emails though! Shame.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By notnert427

I'm on Xbox, but they sent a similar email and I had to know...

• 406 hours total (Xbox gamers in the US averaged 219 hours).
    • Top 3 games played: HITMAN, Forza Horizon 3, Battlefield 1.
    • May was the month in which I played the most games.
    • 86th percentile in gamerscore.
    • 88th percentile in achievements.
    • 81st percentile in hours played.

I don't know whether to be proud or ashamed of all of this.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Here is my link for those curious.

Kinda shocked Battlefield 4 was my 3rd most played game. And it also beat out Destiny 2 in most played online multiplayer somehow, which was my most played game of the year. So they must be collecting and looking fairly deep into the data if they know i haven't been playing "online" in D2 that much.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

man I didn't get one either. Bummer

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wish this information was available at any time and to anyone (I'm not in the US so didn't get one and the website link doesn't work). I'm a sucker for stats like this and it's obviously being tracked so why not just make it available even if it's as a perk for PS Plus members.

stolige

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

74 hours of Persona 3 Portable

65 hours of Persona 5

21 hours of Destiny 2

211 hours overall

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.