Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

New PS4, What Should I Play?

JonRambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JonRambo

So I finally got a PS4. At the start of this generation I went XB1 bc that's what my friends were getting. Not long ago I also got a XB1S and had one in our living room and one in my game room. I did that initially so I wouldn't have to rebuy any games. Then tons of interesting games have been coming out for PS4. So I sold the og XB and got a nice white PS4 Pro. I picked up Horizon ZD, Nier Automata, and Uncharted 4. What one should I play through first?

Also, what other games should I check out? I will definitely be getting God of War. I'm not big into JRPGs but Persona 5 is on my radar just bc it looks so cool. It's got styyyyyyyyle. And especially, what are some shorter games that aren't 40+ hours that I can play between these long ones?

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk about which game to play through first, but it sounds like you like 3rd person action games, so I'd definitely recommend Bloodborne. I think the new Deus Ex game is still free with PS Plus too, if you're into that sort of thing.

JonRambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea, Bloodborne does look good. I enjoyed Dark Souls 3 but the world of Bloodborne looks a little more interesting from what I've seen. Similar, but something about it just looks a little cooler to me. I haven't joined PS Plus yet but probably will soon. I want to play Hellblade and saw that was on a pretty decent sale right now ($20 with PSPlus).

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NTM

Did you play The Last of Us?

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yakuza 0

Yakuza Kiwami

Bloodborne

Uncharted: Lost Legacy

Gravity Rush 2

Nioh

The Last Guardian

Shadow of the Colossus remake

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If we're talking exclusives, the three that immediately comes to mind are Horizon: Zero Dawn, Bloodborne and the two Uncharted games, all of those are great. If you missed the PS3, you should also play The Last of Us and Journey. Seriously. If you haven't played it, or haven't seen full playthroughs of it, Journey should be a top priority.

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

I’ll second The Last Guardian as a shorter game you can slot in between larger titles. Requires some patience but it is pretty distinct and the highs are rather majestic.

Darknorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 5 is also great.

HeelBill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HeelBill

I'll echo The Last Guardian and Persona 5.

Horizon ZD was my favorite game of last year but people seem to have a love it or hate it reaction with it. I would try it first and see if it hooks you though. It takes a good 5 hours or so for things to really get going with it I feel.

JonRambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JonRambo

@jonrambo said:
    @ntm said:

Did you play The Last of Us?

Yes! Played it on PS3 and I loved it. I'd like to play the remaster before TLoU2 comes out since I never played the DLC.

I have not played Journey so I'll take a look at that. Glad to see some love for The Last Guardian too. I'm def interesting in that but it seemed to have mixed reviews. Looks really unique. I also never played Shadow of the Colossus and the remake is looking nice.

@heelbill said:

Horizon ZD was my favorite game of last year but people seem to have a love it or hate it reaction with it. I would try it first and see if it hooks you though. It takes a good 5 hours or so for things to really get going with it I feel.

I've played Horizon ZD to the point where I'm about to head out into the open world. I've really liked it so far. Played the beginning of Nier Automata too and that seems awesome too. Still not sure which one I wanna really dive into first. Will probably break the two up with a shorter (not open world) game in between. Lots of good games to play.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Grab the Horizon DLC if you haven't already.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bloodborne, uncharted 4,nioh, let it die(its free!), Warframe(its also free!), Yakuza(i haven't personally played either ps4 games yet but Yakuza is dope), furi(never beat it but its a good game imo).

I cant personally vouch for persona 5, neir, horizon, or final fantasy but those seem like some games to check out.

JonRambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock said:

Grab the Horizon DLC if you haven't already.

Got the complete edition!

I see a few people have mentioned Yakuza. I do want to play Yakuza 0 and go from there, heard a lot of talk about Yakuza on Giant Bomb this year.

Bloodborne, uncharted 4,nioh, let it die(its free!), Warframe(its also free!), Yakuza(i haven't personally played either ps4 games yet but Yakuza is dope), furi(never beat it but its a good game imo).

I cant personally vouch for persona 5, neir, horizon, or final fantasy but those seem like some games to check out.

I'd forgotten about Let it Die!. Grim reaper on a skateboard, I will be downloading that game.

iam16bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resident Evil 7 and FFXV

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonrambo: Yeah, play Shadow of the Colossus. It is all about finding the colossus and taking them down, but going from one colossi to the next isn't dull despite it being the only thing you do more or less. The world is desolate and makes you feel something and perhaps allows you to imagine what that world is about, or what it is was about. The soundtrack is also phenomenal. There's not much to dislike in the game in my opinion, but I've always found it hard to replay it again. I've played it a quarter to halfway through several times, but only once all the way through. It has never held my interest enough to give it another full go, but I will with the remake.

Yeah, The Last Guardian is mixed. It's great if you don't mind the camera view, frame rate or Trico's inconsistent A.I. The frame rate of the three is the worst aspect in my opinion, and there is at least one moment near the very end where a glitch can present itself which results in the frame rate going lower and lower into single digits, so you'll have to save and quit the game to fix it. Trico's A.I. is a mixed bag, as it can either do what you want, do more than you expect, or not do enough. It does help make Trico feel like an animal, but people don't like games wasting their time which is understandable. I never had much of an issue with it.

I watched my brother play through it just before Christmas last year when I was about to go through it again: I instead watched him. The camera view I simultaneously like and dislike; it adds to the experience in some ways I feel, but can also slightly detract from it. If it gets too close to you and a wall, you'll disappear or the game outright goes black which can make you think the game stopped working. It also makes it hard to control in those cases. It doesn't ruin the experience, but it's an unfortunate occurrence. I like the setting, I think the soundtrack is really great (albeit it could use more tracks because some are recycled a bit much), and the story isn't very deep but is endearing. Trico, despite sometimes having issues, is great. The controls aren't terrible, but you might have to get used to them.

HeelBill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HeelBill

I liked that Trico controlled like an animal but I can see it pissing people off.

I played it on ps4 pro and was able to mostly fix the framerate issues by setting my ps4 to output at 1080p instead of 4k, so that's an option if you have a pro. Kinda dumb you have to fix it by setting the resolution in the system settings but that's what Digital Foundry found to work.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yakuza 0 and Uncharted: Lost Legacy, for sure. I would recommend playing Horizon Zero Dawn sooner rather than later. I loved it, and I know the GBs fell off of it after they stopped playing it, its a VERY good game. Its a great intro into the PS4 I think at this point.

JonRambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JonRambo

@maxszy said:

Yakuza 0 and Uncharted: Lost Legacy, for sure. I would recommend playing Horizon Zero Dawn sooner rather than later. I loved it, and I know the GBs fell off of it after they stopped playing it, its a VERY good game. Its a great intro into the PS4 I think at this point.

Thanks! I will be picking up Lost Legacy some time after I play Uncharted 4. I really like those games. So I'm def gonna check out Yakuza 0 after hearing about it on the podcasts so much and now all the recommendations. If I play that will I be good going into Yakuza 6? I guess I can always read a wiki or watch a video to catch up on plot stuff if I need to. I do think I'm going to still with Horizon ZD first and then play through Nier Automata. I really like the beginnings of both, but Horizon seems like a great new system type of game. We also just got a new TV around black Friday so the 4k & HDR look real nice.

Seems like I have a good amount of games to play through now. I also want to check out Until Dawn when I see a good deal on it bc I love slasher type horror movies that follow or sometimes play with the horror movie tropes.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By BoboBones

My top 3 PS4 games.

1. Hohokum

2. Bloodborne

3. Nioh

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see Uncharted 4 on your list, but have you played the original 3? (The Uncharted Collection is superb of you haven't) as well as the Lost Legacy. Also, the newest Ratchet and Clank is great

Nian0014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Everybody's Golf is a good game for "I have 45 minutes to burn and wanna jump into something quick"

JonRambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atastyslurpee said:

I see Uncharted 4 on your list, but have you played the original 3? (The Uncharted Collection is superb of you haven't) as well as the Lost Legacy. Also, the newest Ratchet and Clank is great

I never played the first Uncharted but I did play Uncharted 2 & 3. I LOVED 2. I remember skipping a day of classes in college so that I could finish it. I was too close and too into the story to go away from it until I beat it, haha.

My top 3 PS4 games.

1. Hohokum

2. Bloodborne

3. Nioh

Hohokum looks interesting. What would you recommend on Bloodborne vs Nioh. I'm guessing Bloodborne since it's at #2 on your list. I played Dark Souls 3 on XB1, and really liked it but I never got gud at it so those games take me a while and some trial & error to get through.

JonRambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best part of coming late to the party is that there are a lot of good games around $20 now! Picked up Uncharted 4 for $12 used.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1momosauky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ratchet and clank

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Giant_Gamer

Bloodborne

The best Souls game this gen and the coolest so far.

In Bloodborne you don't shoot down your enemies because that is overdone, instead you shoot at their mele weapons right before they hit you and then you finish them off with your mele weapon.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BoboBones

@jonrambo: Bloodborne has better atmosphere, and enemy design, but Nioh has more focused combat. It's almost like a samurai fighting game with loot.

Even though I think Bloodborne is a "better" game, I would rather play through Nioh again then Bloodborne. Nioh also has 60FPS vs Resolution option which I greatly appreciated.

JonRambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rigas said:

I'll sign up for it again at some point. Right now I just have 3 single player games so I'm in no rush unless they put some really good free games on there soon.

ilserpente

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonrambo: if you liked Dark Souls 3 and the world of Bloodborne looks interesting to you, I'd be willing to bet you'll like Bloodborne a whole lot. It's my favorite PS4 exclusive, and it's DLC is great as well.

Horizon is probably my second-favorite exclusive on the system.

Wipeout is a wonderful Probably showcase and a very good racing game.

Don't sleep on all the great indie titles, either. Salt and Sanctuary and Axiom Verge are two of my favs.

ilserpente

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, and Furi is dope! It was one of my favorite games of 2016.

The Last Guardian is worth checking out, but if you do, make sure you change your PS4's output resolution to 1080p in the system's display settings. It's the only way to play it at an acceptable framerate, and the game doesn't allow you to change the settings in-game.

I liked Nioh but it gets a little repetitive. It's still worth playing if you like the souls series.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I would say the Senran Kagura games, but this is Giant Bomb, so just go with what other people are saying since I would endorse most of those recommendations as well.

JonRambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome, thanks for the recommendations everyone. Right now I'm playing Horizon ZD. Next I think I'll play Uncharted 4 and then Nier. Figured I'd break up the open world type games with a more linear story game. I also downloaded Let it Die.

I'm definitely going to get Bloodborne. I enjoyed Dark Souls 3 and the setting for Bloodborne looks cooler to me. Might try to pick up Bloodborne, Shadow of the Colossus, and Uncharted Lost Legacy when someon has a B2G1 deal. Journey looks great, so I'm going to check that out. We'll see where I'm at in April because I'll probably pick up God of War the day it comes out.

So many games!

theuprightman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yakuza 0, Yakuza 0, Yakuza 0, Yakuza 0, Yakuza 0

I have never played a Yakuza game till the past few weeks, this game is really something.

JonRambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JonRambo

@heelbill said:

Just finished Horizon ZD and I loved it. I got pretty into the story and did a healthy number of the sidequests. I liked that it have enough sidequests, but not an endless number of trivial side things like some open world games do. I liked the story and the world. Very good story, especially for an open world game. And I loved finding out more and more about the world of HZD. I haven't gotten into the Frozen Wilds at all yet and am going to take a break to play something else and then come back and do the DLC.

I'm surprised it wasn't talked about much during GOTY. I guess BotW probably knocked a lot of people off of HZD. Having to look for specific climbing spots and sometimes skyriming my way up mountains was annoying/silly after having played BotW where Link just scales anything.

lkpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yakuza: 0

Yakuza: Kiwami

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Counterspy

Uncharted: Lost Legacy

Wookii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonrambo: final fanasty xv, fortnite, rainbow seige, cod wwii

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.