Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

As a pc gamer with good pc, which PS4 should I buy just as a side console for exclusives only? (please read 1st post)

HiCZoK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll As a pc gamer with good pc, which PS4 should I buy just as a side console for exclusives only? (please read 1st post) (62 votes)

PS4 Slim 50%
    PS4 Pro 50%

Hey everyone!

Last gen I was a 360 gamer(love that freaking console, gow games, The Darkness1 and many more) and I did not got any console this gen as of yet. But raising number of exclusives makes me think about picking up ps4.

I have pretty alright pc(gtx 1060, 1080p, 240hz gsync 240hz monitor) and huge steam library btw. It has hdmi port for the taking. Pc is connected to display port.

I am used to playing on console and I never had a problem with 360 framerates even though I am a pc gamer for 20 years now. Whatever fps it is, it mostly feels right with analog sticks. With mouse, anything below 60 is a nightmare, so when I cannot do 60, I was locking to 30 (before I had gsync monitor) and played with controller.

I am thinking about picking up PS4 just for exclusives like: Bloodborne (Souls fan), Last Guardian (Colossus fan), Killzone, Infamus, Last of Us and not sure what else this year.. Maybe UC games but I think I would not like them too much. Next year I could pick RDR2, God of War, Shadow of the Colossus remake, Days Gone and some time in the future probably Death Stranding (I bet it's ps4 exclusive). I don't see any of those coming to PC unfortunately.

I want the console to stand vertically on my desk just next to the PC. I will be playing it at my desk on a monitor as I always did with 360. I could never get into TV couch gaming for some reason. My pc is silent, so maybe SLIM is the right choice too? It's 50% cheaper than Pro here in Poland and should be quiet. But Pro is probably more future proof, can achieve better framerate/IQ in some games and probably is much louder/hot.

This is my setup and I want to put PS4 right there( There us 7cm of space there) ->

No Caption Provided

• 
    OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I think if performance is not an issue then the slim is a much better looking console, i only have an old fat model so not sure if it stands vertically on it's own or needs a stand though. Obviously the pro is a better console but since you are 1080p and don't care about frames it probably won't benefit you that much (not much benefit to frames anyway but some games get improvements)

Unrelated note, do you use those Mackie Cr's just for gaming or are you doing any audio mixing? I'm looking at some cheaper monitor speakers for some decent mixing but not sure if they would be worth the price for that purpose. If you are just using them for games how is the sound?

HiCZoK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By HiCZoK

Hey thanks. I am using Mackie cr3 for gaming, movies and general desktop use. I totally love them. I was expecting bass to be lacking but it's totally fine and these speakers punch much above their weight. One thing that is poor is headphones out in the front which gives a little bit of static. But I use e10k for headphones anyway

alphanull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By alphanull

i have used the mackie cr4's in a few different situations, i can say that nearly any speaker capable of pushing sound will do just fine for gaming.

gaming does not require accuracy or high resolving audio. gaming needs a subwoofer. if you can't use a sub for whatever reason (there many), then get headphones, don't get lost in audiophile garbage, if you aren't mastering (not mixing) then the cheapest solution is usually the sanest one. cr4's are cheap, but there's cheaper which will very likely sound identical to you.

ideally for mixing, i wouldnt recommend the cr4's, i find their tone to be lacking that mid punch which makes mixing so much easier, just keep in mind you will still need to keep an eye on your spectrograph regardless, there are many frequencies you will not be able to hear with just a pair of stereo monitors that could really mess up a mix.

realistically, you absolutely could mix on anything. it's all in your skill as an engineer to wrangle anything out of whatever tools you have available.

on topic: if you're used to 60fps+ for every game at 1080p+, get a pro. it's just too painful to go back. BUT if you play at lower settings with lower framerates and thats what youre used to, get a slim.

edit: i also wouldnt recommend putting your ps4 right next to your pc. they need ample separation otherwise the heat of one will raise the temperature of the other and the effect will snowball very quickly.

HiCZoK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ps4 will not be on the same time as pc

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

If you can afford it, why not get the pro and be the most future proof possible?

HiCZoK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the pro much louder than slim?

Keep in mind that it will be close to me on top od the desk

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alphanull: Thanks for the input, i use a pair of AKG and Sony MDR headphones for mixing at the moment but i only have my creative surround speakers i've used since 02 so i'm in a position for an upgrade. I would probably use them for both gaming and audio mixing (but audio mixing is the priority) but i'm thinking of just saving up and getting a 300$ pair. Real reason is my speakers are finally starting to pop a little bit with sub sounds(i also have a sub as well which is still fine).

HiCZoK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the help. Ive bought the slim.

Even though there is reason to buy a pro, i dont think its worth spending twice as much for a console that is not my main system.

cliffordbanes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By cliffordbanes

The PS4 Pro CPU only being 30% faster really holds the PS4 pro back which means most games target the same frame rate regardless of SKU. Both the slim and the pro does HDR. Some people say they notice the jump from SDR to HDR more than going from 1080p to 2160p. Many PS4 Pro versions of games run at 1440p or 1800p which makes the gap between the two SKUs even smaller.

They haven't released a PS4 Pro patch for Bloodborne yet and probably never will. Same deal with Driveclub.

CornThatLefty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking at the picture you posted, you want to position the console vertically. I've heard rumors of the solder on the CPU in the PS4 slim melting and the CPU sliding off when the console is vertical. Possibly just a rumor, but you do have to consider placing the console on its side does block an entire heat vent.

Wookii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

probably the pro (but if you dont want to blow ur cash just get the slim)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.