Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Why should I buy a PS3?

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By teh_destroyer

I have been a 360 user for just about 3 years now, been a full time employee at my day job for 3 years and as a result for that, in 3 months I will be getting a 80 hour bonus (which should be at least $720, and that does not include the $285 weekly paycheck that I will get along with that bonus). Right now on amazon they are going for $150-$200 with a 60gig hd I believe. Not only do I want the blue ray, but I also want Heavy Rain, Uncharted games, MGS4, Trash Panic, Kill Zone 2, and God of War 3 are a few reasons for me to want to own one. But are those enough of a reason to actually own the system and shell out a couple of hundred bucks for one?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond
    @teh_destroyer said:
    Not only do I want the blue ray, but I also want Heavy Rain, Uncharted games, MGS4, Trash Panic, Kill Zone 2, and God of War 3 are a few reasons for me to want to own one. But are those enough of a reason to actually own the system and shell out a couple of hundred bucks for one?
    Yes.
    Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Damien
    @teh_destroyer: Sounds like you got some pretty good reasons already.  Just be warned Trash Panic is very hard.
    JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By JokerClown88

I am also a 3 year 360 man, and I personally believe that the PS3 is finally getting the momentum that the PS2 had as a console.  I bought a PS3 with my first paycheck from my new job and have not regretted it in the slightest.  I have not turned on my 360 since I purchased my PS3.  With the wide range of exclusives comming out on it in the next year, FREE online, Blu-ray, It is THE best time to buy a PS3.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @Damien said:
    " @teh_destroyer: SOunds like you got some pretty good reason already.  Just be warned Trash Panic is very hard. "
    yeah serious, you named some great game syou want man.  

ps3 is an excellent console. 
    teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By teh_destroyer

I will have to think about it for a bit longer, and if the price drops a bit more by Christmas time, I may go for it. 
    Thanks for the feedback ;).

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64

Sure, especially if you want it for the blue ray.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#8  Edited By AgentJ

Be sure to add Valkyria Chronicles if you are dead set, but unless you already have a PS2 (and even if you do) I'd hold off until Sony smartens up about backwards compatability (which i've heard murmurs of)

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Bigandtasty

It's definitely a good time to buy.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By iam3green

i would say yes get it. there is also free online play so u can play online for free. there are also a lot of great games for it. u also get bluray, i have to say that bluray movies kick ass. i watched 40 year old virgin and shaun of the dead they just looked awesome. i have to say that bluray look better then real life.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By bonbolapti

If you have the money and ask others to tell you why you need one, maybe you should just get one anyway.
    Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By Siphillis

I got over Blu-ray after a few month of paying $3 extra for Netflix, only to get the disc late, damaged, and only playable on the loudest speaker system in the house. But I aligned with Sony this generation because of my dissatisfaction with the quality of games worth buying on 360, and the quantity of games worth buying on Wii.  It really is the one-stop-shop for maximum entertainment, hosting a similar game library as Xbox 360, but holding a slight edge on exclusives.

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By unclejohnny79

some good exclusives, it also has some nice multimedia abiiliies

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I sold my 360 for a PS3 almost two years ago now and it was not a mistake, I love it : D

belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By belaraphon

blu-ray is pretty nice as well as a game playing machine. i own all the "current gen" consoles and don't regret any of the purchases.

Lost_In_Gaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lost_In_Gaming

I use my PS3 to play Fringe season 1 on Blu-Ray, at the moment (I LOVE THAT SHOW!).  Otherwise, I should probably finish MGS 4.  Then, I'd like to start the Uncharted series.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

Man I need a good reason too ... and $300

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By Undeadpool
    @teh_destroyer:

Don't forget inFamous! And the inevitable Twisted Metal game. I bought a PS3 for the few exclusives it would have. Blu Ray is a nice addition as is free online play.

DVombatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DVombatus

If I were you, I'd totally buy a PS3 to play games and watch blu ray movies.  But you could use it as a doorstop, foot rest, paper weight...Whatever you wanted really.

najaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By najaf

If blu-ray is up your alley, then by all means. I personally enjoy HD movies through online services and don't see a need for a disc based player in the future. I personally have not gone for the PS3 because I can't justify a purchase on a just a few games.  

Uncharted 2 and MGS4 are the only releases that I would be interested in purchasing that are exclusive to the platform.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hamz
    @teh_destroyer: I spent the last 10 years gaming on only a PC. I bought a PS3 some weeks ago, a very worth while investment if I do say so myself. I think you've probably realised there is a lot of games on the PS3 you want to play. But likely you want some assurance that it is worth trying to play them. If that is what you're looking for, then consider me giving it to you now. Buy a PS3 and you won't be disappointed :)
    Avatar image for altered_confusion
    Altered_Confusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 264

It plays Blu-Rays, and is upgradable in the Blu-Ray firmware

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Venatio

Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 2: Among thieves, there is your biggest reasons 

Also InFamous

chichibanu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By chichibanu

I am a 360 owner about to by a PS3, however it'll be my mum or dad who are visiting the US for thanksgiving who'll be making the purchase for me and I know they will need strict instructions as to where/what to buy ('coz they are stoopid)

In Ireland most retailers offer some sort of deal like 2 games and an extra controller for like €100 extra. Are there any US retailers doing anything similar. I am hoping to get my PS3 plus a controller and 2/3 (Uncharted 2 + R&C Future + AN OTHER) games for $400/$450. Any tips?

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By rjayb89

It's better than the 360 in every way. LOLOLOL

The PS3 is great for fighting games, system-exclusives, sport games and driving games in my experience due to the controller's design and layout.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DCFGS3

My position is that the Xbox is now beginning to show its age, and developers are now exploiting the PS3 to its full potential. It is a dam good time to buy one, and I would advise all future console buyers to buy a PS3 over an Xbox.

Pepsicolaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Pepsicolaboy
    @teh_destroyer said:
    " I have been a 360 user for just about 3 years now, been a full time employee at my day job for 3 years and as a result for that, in 3 months I will be getting a 80 hour bonus (which should be at least $720, and that does not include the $285 weekly paycheck that I will get along with that bonus). Right now on amazon they are going for $150-$200 with a 60gig hd I believe. Not only do I want the blue ray, but I also want Heavy Rain, Uncharted games, MGS4, Trash Panic, Kill Zone 2, and God of War 3 are a few reasons for me to want to own one. But are those enough of a reason to actually own the system and shell out a couple of hundred bucks for one? "
    Yes x2.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By eroticfishcake

@teh_destroyer: It's been a month now since you asked so have you decided yet? I would give my reasons but just like the user above me said. Yes X2. There's a lot of games now for the PS3 so it's justifiable to buy one now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know why everybody should buy a PS3?

SO WE DON'T HAVE THE SAME GODDAMN THREAD SEVERAL TIMES  A MONTH WHERE PEOPLE ASK WHY THEY SHOULD BUY IT AND THE SAME COMMENTS FROM THE USUALLY SAME GAGGLE OF POSTERS REGURGITATING THAT UNCHARTED 2 AND MGS ¤ ARE ACE AND THAT HEAVY RAIN AND GOD OF WAR  WILL BE AWESOME!

On that note, it has Uncharted 2. Buy one!

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By raddevon
    @AgentJ said:
    "...unless you already have a PS2 (and even if you do) I'd hold off until Sony smartens up about backwards compatability (which i've heard murmurs of) "
    While I certainly hope for this, I have a feeling backwards compatibility is never coming back.
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Kohe321

It's a great game system with great games on it, with more great ones coming, it's the best blu-ray player, it's awesome at media streaming over LAN, and it just had a price drop to the point where no one really has an excuse anymore. Did I mention Uncharted 2?

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By guiseppe

If you really want bluray and those games, go for it.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#35  Edited By Crono
    I made a list about this you may or may not agree with.  I only put games that are released on it and that I have played that is why there is no God of War 3 on there yet as well as some other notables like the recent Ratchet and Clank.

There are quite a few other reasons for the PS3.  It has built-in wireless which by comparison to Xbox's 100 bucks you have to spend for a wireless adapter (soon to be a steal at 80, oh wow!).  

Every system has a hard drive as well and this allows developers to make use of a lot of features that they have to cut out for the Xbox since they don't all have a hard drive.  You don't have to use a proprietary headset (if you use one at all) with multiplayer, you can use just about any blutooth headset to connect to the PS3 (though I would highly recommend the Sony brand headset if you don't have a blutooth headset but intend to buy one).  It has an actual, functioning web-browser.  It has nearly every feature that Xbox does, except you won't have to pay any monthly/yearly fee to take advantage of these features.   There is so much more too, but this post would become far longer than it already is.

Really the PS3 offers a lot more than the Xbox does, the Xbox just, quite simply, was better priced early in the "war."  Now that the systems are on equal fitting, the choice should be obvious.
    isaiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By isaiah

ummm you should buy one because you want to.  If you don't want to buy one you shouldn't. 

Seems pretty simple to me
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Afroman269

BUY IT OR I WILL SHOOT THIS DOG!
     BUY IT OR I WILL SHOOT THIS DOG!
    tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#38  Edited By tearhead

Two words, "mon-tage":

AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ

reason:
    - Christina Lee
    - Gran Turismo 5
    - Final Fantasy 13 versus
    - God of War 3
    - Metal Gear 4
    - Uncharted 2
    - Resistance 2
    - Killzone 2 
    - Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 motion sensing melons
    - Christina Lee
    - Christina Lee

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By essaregee
    ShiningMyDuggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By ShiningMyDuggy
    @teh_destroyer said:
    " I will have to think about it for a bit longer, and if the price drops a bit more by Christmas time, I may go for it. Thanks for the feedback ;). "
    Good thinking bro, but also make sure to keep tabs on good deals on the net for (new) PS3s. A good site like Cheapassgamer.com would be an ideal choise as it has a great community and frequent updates on a variety of deals posted by fellow gamers all over the world. Good luck and good hunting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.