Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 2

Platform »

Sony's PlayStation 2 is the second home video game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment Incorporated, and to date is the best-selling home console of all time, with an install base of 150 million units since its launch.

PlayStation 2 Slim The Best Version of a Console Ever Made!?

• 67 results
    falconpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By falconpunch

nuh uh

darkedhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By darkedhunter

I'm sitting in the gamecube camp. Awesome.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#53  Edited By nightriff

I still love the N64, more for nostalgia at this point but I think it is a cool looking console

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By ripelivejam

i just love that little purple purse (well, black for me)

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By PillClinton

@JazGalaxy: I was more referring to the arrogance they had with the launch of the PS3, its absurd price and ridiculously complicated cell proc that wasn't truly figured out by 3rd party devs for a couple years. They rode on the huge success they had with the PS2, which they undisputedly 'won' last gen with in terms of sales and install base, right up to this gen where they've struggled with underdog status for most of the generation because of missteps they made at launch.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By Ben_H
    @Turambar said:

@Rafaelfc said:

No, son

the Snes

Are you kidding me? The plastic in the SNES would turn color over time. We're not talking about the games.

Only certain SNESes would turn yellow. Later models of the big SNES had different plastic that didn't yellow. Heck, here's mine (A newer SNES) for reference, look at that perfect light grey colour: 
    No Caption Provided
    Also, yes the big SNES is my favourite looking console. NES is a close second but I hated that stupid pop-up design cartridge loader . Ours got so knackered that it barely works now. This SNES I got on the other hand works flawlessly.

My least favourite trend in consoles is them being shiny. No matter how much I dust my Wii off, it still looks dusty while my white old-style Xbox which sits right beside it looks just fine.
    myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57  Edited By myke_tuna

@Ben_H said:

@Turambar said:

@Rafaelfc said:

No, son

the Snes

Are you kidding me? The plastic in the SNES would turn color over time. We're not talking about the games.

Only certain SNESes would turn yellow. Later models of the big SNES had different plastic that didn't yellow. Heck, here's mine (A newer SNES) for reference, look at that perfect light grey colour:
    No Caption Provided
    Also, yes the big SNES is my favourite looking console. NES is a close second but I hated that stupid pop-up design cartridge loader . Ours got so knackered that it barely works now. This SNES I got on the other hand works flawlessly. My least favourite trend in consoles is them being shiny. No matter how much I dust my Wii off, it still looks dusty while my white old-style Xbox which sits right beside it looks just fine.

Mine looks exactly like yours. Pristine (ok, dust from time to time) to this day. I will say though, overall design goes to the Super Famicom. I like the Grey on dark grey on even darker grey scheme better than purple and grey. Either one though is built to last.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#58  Edited By DarthOrange

PS-One is the nicest system ever, followed by the PS3 Slim, then the Super NES that had the on/off switch and reset button.

MaxOpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#59  Edited By MaxOpower

@ShinjiEx: Giantbomb is not a imageboard.

Ocean_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By Ocean_H

@psylah said:

@AuthenticM said:

@Ocean_H said:

PS2 phat, I just hate the power brick that the PS2 slim has.

Latter revisions of the PS2 slim (the one I currently have) had the power supply integrated to the console. Best looking console IMO.

You've got to be shitting me, Where did they find the space?!

Wikipedia says it's model number SCPH-90000, I'll have to find one of these...

Where can we find one?! I don't see any major retailers still carrying PS2s... I freaking hate that power brick.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Mirado
    No contest.
    No contest.

Anyone that says the PS2 slim was a more significant upgrade either doesn't remember or never experienced what it was like to try and get a NES game to work on a original system, especially one that was old, overused or battered. In a way, I kind of miss the rain dance that it took to get a game to work; your reward (the game) felt significant in some way (unless the game was crap, in which case you were twice as pissed). But seriously; blowing on the cart, blowing on the system, wedging another game on top, holding the loader in place, sticking a vhs tape on top...all thanks to that fucking spring loader.

Fuck, never mind. Thank god we've moved on.

The NES 101 was a million times more reliable and it did it while significantly shrinking the console down. You could clean the contacts without taking it apart, the authentication chip was removed (both eliminating the reset loop and allowing you to play unlicensed games, not that you'd really bother), the controller was redesigned to be closer to a SNES hence more ergonomic (if you didn't like it, you could just plug your old pads in there), and it did it all for about $50. The price point was huge for me; I'd moved onto a SNES some years before but still enjoyed NES games now and then, but I loathed dragging out my NES and fiddling with it for 20 minutes before I could start playing Mach Rider or whatever. Without backwards compatibility, the Top Loader became the next best thing as it was priced low enough to practically reopen my entire NES library for the cost of one SNES game.

You could make the GBA SP argument as that backlit screen was a revelation, but eventually the DS took over its duties as my primary GBA player. Without the Top Loader, I'd still be holding down the spring arm and watching the reset light blink every time I'm feeling nostalgic, no matter how infrequently.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#62  Edited By isomeri

I can't think of a strong counter-argument. So sure, why not.

ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#63  Edited By ShinjiEx
    @MaxOpower said:

@ShinjiEx: Giantbomb is not a imageboard.

Lay off the weed dude...
    tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By tyxja

I think I agree with this. I love my PS2 slim.

Plus, it's one of the later models, so there's no external power brick. :3

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By kindgineer

I think it's hard (for me) to compliment the manufacturer for "getting it right" several times after the initial launch. Not to say there is no "bravo" for them to do so, but I would rather this sort of thing be the first generation instead of one of the last. Kind of like how Xbox 360's are now. Thanks Microsoft, for fucking me over and having me shell out more money for something I already have so I don't lie awake at night in fear of the red rings.

Thanks.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#66  Edited By dichemstys

If we're talking aesthetics, I personally disagree.

I never liked any of the slim Sony products until the first slim PS3.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#67  Edited By JoeyRavn

@ShinjiEx said:

GameBoy is not a console...

Handheld consoles are still consoles. Deal with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.