Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Platform Exclusive

Concept »

Third-party developers and publishers occasionally engage in the practice of releasing a title or piece of DLC on only one platform for any number of reasons. Sometimes these are permanent while others are only platform exclusive for a certain window of time.

Is It Wrong For Developers To Openly Dislike Certain Consoles?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

Sup fools,

I was at a diner this morning with a friend of mine who is hella into Gears, and he has been playing the new one over XBL because XBL works.  Anyways, he was talking about how he'd love to see Epic make more PS3 games or even PC games.  That got me thinking, EPIC is third party yet they prefer making Xbox games.  Square Enix is third party, but Nomura prefers Sony....and has openly stated he will never make games for Xbox.  Kojima did the same thing during the early days of the PS3, an there was some Xbox game that came out ages ago when the dev team said they would never make PS3 games.  

So, with that said...is really that wrong for top-tier developers to openly dislike consoles and not want multi-platform?  If it lets them use their team and the console to it's highest potential for a better experience, then what's wrong with that?

Let's use MGS4 as an example, if that game was made for both 360 and PS3...who knows how many changes would be made for better or worse?  Or what about Versus XIII, in which rumors are going around the game will be on 2 BDs...how would that even work on the 360s DVD limitations?  Or even EPIC and their preference towards the Xbox...how much would have changed if Gears was on both consoles?

If their bias means a better game for a single platform, is it that big of a deal?  If they can inspire you to spend the money for buying another console...isn't that a win for everyone? 
    WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

It might not be the most diplomatic of stances, but is perfectly reasonable for a developer to have a preference for what platforms they use.  Some of the best games of this generation are console exclusives, that approach allows them to maximise their  proficiency with the hardware.

Certain developers will likely feel limited by what they can do in different scenarios, the 360 when it was often mentioned as being easier to develop for comes to mind.

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, Dead Space 2 being a great game with little if any differences between both versions.
    Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Aronman789

It isn't wrong at all, if they want the money they might get for it, then they will go multi-platform, but if they don't want to, they don't have to.

I know some people who are trying to start up a game company, and have said multiple times that they will never make anything on consoles.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Vinny_Says

The guys said it best, at one point everyone might work for anyone so it's best to just respect other platforms.

bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By bravetoaster
    @Aronman789 said:
    " It isn't wrong at all, if they want the money they might get for it, then they will go multi-platform, but if they don't want to, they don't have to.

"
    Exactly. 
    EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By EuanDewar

It gets a little weird when their public hate is suddenley put behind them for no reason (and for no reason I mean cold hard cash). That whole thing with Gabe Newell of "Yeah remember in the past when I said the PS3 is bullshit and pointless to develop for? Uhh just forget that cause its actually pretty awesome!"

Although considering those recent events Valve are probably a tad annoyed right now the PS3.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By I_smell

It's hard to make a game for a load of seperate consoles. Team Meat said that Wiiware is totally dumb and crazy cos they don't allow games over 50MB.

Developers only ever hate consoles cos they're hard to make games for.

EDIT^^^ It is way harder for an independant developer to get a game on consoles than it is to get one on PC. So that also makes sense.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By TheHBK

No, would you fault a developer for hating the Ngage?

But the thing is that Epic doesn't hate the PS3, hell they showed off Unreal Engine 3 running on the PS3 to show off what it could do at E3 2005.  But developers like Kojima and whoever the fuck makes FF are retards.  The Xbox is out there, people buy games for it and play on Live.  Too bad Japan is way behind the curb on online stuff still.  Sure, a game can sell well enough on one console but to have some personal vendetta against a console that is viable is dumb.  And then to assume sacrifices have to be made to get a game on a certain console is fucking retarded.  What sacrifices to get MGS4 on the 360?  What maybe we wouldn't have those retarded snake smoking install screens?  Or there would be more gameplay because there isn't as much room on DVDs for all that fucking cutscene crap?
    And the thing about Gears is that MS pushed for that.  What changes? How does Call of Duty suffer from being on both systems?
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I think it's fine, if the choice is legitimately done to benefit the games. 

But look at developers like Itagaki or Nomura.  Neither of these developers have chosen to make games solely for one platform to maximise the hardware, they've both openly admitted that they simply hate certain systems, and in the case of Nomura, I think he's actually hurting the franchise by doing this.  The Final Fantasy fanbase expands far beyond the Playstation brand and everything he's doing seems to be based purely on spiting the Xbox.  (filling a game full of two blu-rays worth of CG video is not a legitimate design choice).

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By mracoon

I have no problem if a developer decides to not develop on a platform because they don't like it. What I do have a problem with is when a developer does develop for multiple platforms but does a bad job on the non-lead platform versions. If they're doing mulitplatform development they should do it right.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Marz

Correct me if i'm wrong, Microsoft owns the publishing rights of the Gears of War games.   Which is why it's not going to PS3 any time soon.  Epic and PCF developed Bulletstorm cross platform so it's not like they are neglecting development towards an  xbox bias.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Marz: Microsoft have published all of the games on the Xbox, but they have no control over the series what so ever.  If Epic wanted to, Sony or someone else could publish all the Gears games on the PS3.  Hell, there's nothing to stop Wii ports from being released.
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SomeJerk

I have no problem if a developer decides to not develop for a certain platform if they give a good reason.

Not enough staff and experience? Fine
    The hardware doesn't support what's necessary? Fine
    Moneyhats from the other party? Not fine, get out of the industry, you are a drop of fuel in the gas tank of a bus heading towards a crash

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

LOOK AT ME I'M GABE NEWELL I HATE SONY

Oh, here's a exclusive PS3 Portal deal...

Hmm money!

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Marz
    @WinterSnowblind: For the first three games it'd have to be under a different name, so yes a  GOW: Trilogy product could be released.   But i'm sure Microsoft has invested copious amounts of money to Epic to be sure that doesn't happen.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By napalm

No.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By MooseyMcMan

There's nothing wrong with making games exclusives to particular systems (especially in the case of the PS3, since PS3 exclusives tend to appear to be more technically impressive than 360 games (stuff like Uncharted, Killzone, God of War)), but it seems kinda ass-y to say they don't want to make games for a system "just because." 

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Fallen189

I like it because I'm grown up. If I was a kid, and I could only afford like, a 360 and a candy bar once a week, I'd hate it.

With certain developers pandering towards a certain console, I'm indifferent, because it's all the same shit. They do it because they want to.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Spoonman671

Does Epic have a preference for the 360?  I never got that impression from them, but maybe I'm forgetting something.  I'm pretty sure Gears of War is only exclusive because Microsoft pays for it.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vexxan

If developers only wanna focus on one console at the time I'm totally fine with that. Better to make one great game for one console than one decent game for two consoles. As someone previously stated money probably plays a big role in all of it as well...

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By salad10203

Valve did it to the PS3 and now they are best friends.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Depends on the intent. Nomura and Itagaki being pro-PS3 and 360 respectively just for... well... just because is pretty dumb and narrow minded. I'm positive certain development studios prefer to work on certain platforms, but that doesn't mean they'll leave money on the table. Unless, of course, a platform holder is giving them a hell of a lot of money in its stead.

Gears of War is paid for by Microsoft. You're never going to see Gears go multi-platform. That doesn't mean Epic hates the PC or PS3 platform. Hell, Unreal Tournament 3 was a PS3 exclusive for some time, if I remember correctly.

As for Gabe Newell's about-face on the PS3 - I think it had less to do with Sony giving Valve cold hard cash and more to do with them opening up the PS3 to Steamworks. Microsoft would never do that, so Valve went with the platform that would allow them to advertise and use their own platform for updates, DLC packs, and all of that other stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.