Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Phantasy Star Online 2

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 04, 2012

Phantasy Star Online 2 is a Japanese free-to-play online action-RPG which was released for PC in July 2012, and Vita in Feb 2013. The game was finally announced for a US release during E3 2019, for Xbox One and PC in 2020.

What is the appeal of this game?

lxXShiroXxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lxXShiroXxl

I'm just wondering how you find this game interesting/fun.

I personally have never liked any of the Phantasy Star games, and I never get a straight answer as to why others do.

Avatar image for deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc
    deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I'm in for character design and cute girl NPCs, after that it's probably friends and loots who drives me forward

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By M_Shini

It's the combat system for me, it plays like an action adventure games, 'when i hit the button it does something', I'm not just hitting the attack or auto attack button with my sword or gun i actually have to run up and aim with what I'm doing, its kinda why i was semi excited for Tera but they're combat wasn't quite that.

I've never played through and completed a PS, mainly cuz they're not on psn to download for my Vita and all the rest are kinda old and dated for the most part, the visual style can be appealing sometimes and then sometimes feels a bit overboard but i do kind of dislike the whole fantasy settings for more general mmo's so maybe that's why i like it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nostalgia, PSO was the first online console game (I think) it had a great community and it was fun back in the day. I’m not sure how we PSO 2 holds ups, I’ve seen a few videos and it looks dated.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By StrikeALight

@JustKamToo said:

I’m not sure how we PSO 2 holds ups, I’ve seen a few videos and it looks dated.

It is..kinda. At least the whole concept is. But then again, so is Diablo 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc
    deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@M_Shini said:

It's the combat system for me, it plays like an action adventure games, 'when i hit the button it does something', I'm not just hitting the attack or auto attack button with my sword or gun i actually have to run up and aim with what I'm doing, its kinda why i was semi excited for Tera but they're combat wasn't quite that.

I've never played through and completed a PS, mainly cuz they're not on psn to download for my Vita and all the rest are kinda old and dated for the most part, the visual style can be appealing sometimes and then sometimes feels a bit overboard but i do kind of dislike the whole fantasy settings for more general mmo's so maybe that's why i like it.

now that you mentioned it, all the "proton arts" are kinda cool. one of them for rocket launcher even let's you ride on it and charge at the mobs!

you can shoot and hold mobs in midair if some hunter in your party swing them up first, that reminds me a lot of devil may cry :D

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By doobie

ive never understood the appeal of oranges

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CaLe

City of Heroes is more fun and I know because I played this and then played City of Heroes right after it. The fun was much more intense and biting with City of Heroes. The fun gained from playing Phantasy Star could be described as 'fleshy wisdom'. I hope this helps you decide which game is for you.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#9  Edited By jacksukeru

@doobie said:

ive never understood the appeal of oranges

It's the colour.

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Cubical

And i think mortal kombat is a crap fight game that dont hold a candle to street fighter or vitrtua fighter hell even killer instinct and console noobish first person shooters on the fucking xbox and ps3 sucks balls and controls like ass with a slow ass analog stick what is your point?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Turambar
    @lxXShiroXxl said:

I'm just wondering how you find this game interesting/fun.

I personally have never liked any of the Phantasy Star games, and I never get a straight answer as to why others do.

Action RPG with an online mmo-esque hook.  Does that really need further explanation?
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Turambar
    @CaLe said:

City of Heroes is more fun and I know because I played this and then played City of Heroes right after it. The fun was much more intense and biting with City of Heroes. The fun gained from playing Phantasy Star could be described as 'fleshy wisdom'. I hope this helps you decide which game is for you.

Definitely not City of Heroes.  My feelings are actually pretty ambivalent instead of negative towards it, but if I had to choose between the two, only one lets me earn meseta as a Caseal.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Driadon

LOOT! DUNGEON EXPLORATION! LOOT! VARIED QUESTS! LOOT!

Basically, those things.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CaLe

@Turambar said:

@CaLe said:

Definitely not City of Heroes. My feelings are actually pretty ambivalent instead of negative towards it, but if I had to choose between the two, only one lets me earn meseta as a Caseal.

But the thing is, we didn't do the exact same things while playing CoH. Maybe I did something fun and it makes me think it was fun and you did something mundane, making you think it was mundane. What I'm saying is, there is no slicing action to split the coconut. It's all brute force and if you don't like the result, you only have your wasted energy to blame. Now saying that, we could certainly conclude that Phantasy Star Online 2 is the more superior game, in terms of raw input to output fun potential. The question still remains though: What is the appeal of this game?

I shall have to ponder further.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Turambar
    @CaLe said:

@Turambar said:

@CaLe said:

Definitely not City of Heroes. My feelings are actually pretty ambivalent instead of negative towards it, but if I had to choose between the two, only one lets me earn meseta as a Caseal.

But the thing is, we didn't do the exact same things while playing CoH. Maybe, I did something fun and it makes me think it was fun and you did something mundane, making you think it was mundane. What I'm saying is, there is no slicing action to split the coconut. It's all brute force and if you don't like the result, you only have your wasted energy to blame. Now saying that, we could certainly conclude that Phantasy Star Online 2 is the more superior game, in terms of raw input to output fun potential. The question still remains though: What is the appeal of this game?

The appeal of the game is a combat and progression system that's fun along with an aesthetic I like.  CoH had a combat and progression system that was decent and an aesthetic that was boring. 
    CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CaLe

@Turambar said:

@CaLe said:

@Turambar said:

@CaLe said:

But the thing is, we didn't do the exact same things while playing CoH. Maybe, I did something fun and it makes me think it was fun and you did something mundane, making you think it was mundane. What I'm saying is, there is no slicing action to split the coconut. It's all brute force and if you don't like the result, you only have your wasted energy to blame. Now saying that, we could certainly conclude that Phantasy Star Online 2 is the more superior game, in terms of raw input to output fun potential. The question still remains though: What is the appeal of this game?

The appeal of the game is a combat and progression system that's fun along with an aesthetic I like. CoH had a combat and progression system that was decent and an aesthetic that was boring.

You could have just told me you are a slicing action kind of guy and I would have understood you from the beginning. We have gone about this in a very round about kind of way and I feel I played my part in that to a certain extent. Thank the Jolly Rancher that we have this choice in the first place! I know I'm grateful.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Vorbis

At the very basic level It's a third person ARPG like Diablo.

Ask people why they enjoy Diablo.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CaLe

@Vorbis said:

At the very basic level It's a third person ARPG like Diablo.

Ask people why they enjoy Diablo.

I'll tell you exactly why people like Diablo and here they are because I'll list them: Core tenets, gameplay aspects, and fundamentals. Some people would argue that core tenets and fundamentals are the same thing. Poppycock I say to them. The difference is in the gameplay aspects which draws from both of these wells. I've thrown together a diagram to demonstrate what I mean by this and here it is:

No Caption Provided

As you can see from the diagram. The gameplay aspects draws from both wells.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By fattony12000
    No Caption Provided
    EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EchoEcho

Only played a very small amount of the original PSO, but I played PSU for a while with my girlfriend and her friends. Neither of us particularly enjoyed it, but they wanted her to play with them so badly they payed for her subscription, so she felt obligated. And I played so she could have someone to commiserate with about how insultingly terrible we both found the game to be. Why her friends liked it so much, I will never understand. I don't remember my impressions of the original PSO being that bad, but then again, PSO is an old fucking game, whereas PSU felt like an old fucking game that was released years later than it should have been. Maybe they've made some significant improvements to PSO2, but nothing I've seen of it so far has me convinced that's the case.

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mpgeist

Boob slider, loot, good times with weapons with friends.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Phatmac

I just like to feed my mag.

Alexandru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Alexandru

there always has to be some guy asking that

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Turambar
    @mpgeist said:
    Boob slider, loot, good times with weapons with friends.
    You know, when I really think about it, while PSO2 (and PSU by extension) has sexualized aspects of character creators like boobsliders, they are also one of the very few games not afraid to let you make a female character that is fat instead of "bigger but still have a perfect figure" (I'm looking at you Old Republic).
    thaumogenesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thaumogenesis

I like the timing based actiony combat. Maybe that is just the mechanics, systems, and presentation creating the "action game feel" illusion, but it hits me in a sweet spot. The loot train and varied weapons and skills keep me from getting bored to quickly because I can always switch it up to an extent. I dig the sci-fi design and prefer it greatly to the dozens upon hundreds of mmo games that are a variation on medieval fantasy/Tolkien/Swords and Sorcery stuff. I like the sound effects, I like the enemies, and I personally find it extremely rewarding to play with a friend or two who can compliment my play style. PSO2 also has some innovative stuff in there that, while not perfectly implemented, should be commended and hopefully copied/expanded upon. The third person shooter mode, weak points on enemies, new combos opening up after you started another combo (poorly explained I know, but you probably understand what I mean, if not, watch the Quick Look) and the MAGs scratch a deep Pokemon/Neopets itch that is really satisfying. I think that about covers my personal love for PSO.

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xbob42

It's Diablo, but an action game.

AP3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AP3

I'm not in the beta, so I cannot confirm or deny the existence of red boxes, but...

Red boxes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.