Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

How many staff members will complete Persona 5 by the end of the year?

• 70 results
    golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Listening to both podcasts it sounds like a good portion of the staff is not playing Persona 5. Those that are playing (Vinny and Alex) might not finish the game before the end of the year. I am fairly confident that Ben is on his way to beat the game this month, but we may be looking at a situation where a single person will have completed the game by GOTY deliberation time.

Is anyone else on staff going to beat the game?

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Alex will. you can always count on Alex to finish games others won't. :b

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By redwing42

I'm pretty sure Alex will finish it as well. He said he is at the 5th Palace, so I think even if he is losing a bit of steam, he will finish it by the end of the year. He did say his girlfriend was a driving force in him playing it, so that is significant motivation. I doubt Vinny will get anywhere close, though. Will be tough competition this year in any case. It will certainly be in the discussion for Style and Music, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is some debate on it even making the top 10. I'm definitely enjoying it, but with it having some minor issues, it has gone from being highly anticipated to being slightly disappointing for many people.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By vortextk

Just Alex, and now Ben. I doubt anyone else will even try to get far. Jason plays long Japanese games but usually actiony. Vinny and Jeff have a thing for p4 obviously but this is a long ass game and the whole point of the first endurance run is to play it at work because they couldn't otherwise. Brad sounds interested in hearing about it. Dan probably won't play it or much. Righto?

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Trilogy

Alex and Ben. Maaaaaybe Vinny, although I could see him playing it next year or not at all.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see anyone not currently playing through it picking it up as we get further away, and it would be a very hard game to catch up on layer for goty purposes.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Justin258

Ben probably will.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, didn't Alex say that he wasn't in the pilot's seat on his P5 playthrough? His girlfriend is? So I think he'll finish it.

A maybe on whether Vinny will finish it.

Based

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably just Alex and Ben.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheFlamingo352

@justin258: I think he said he's playing dungeons and his girlfriend's playing social life and dialogue choices? For sure him and Ben both finish it though.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Zero, nada, ziltch, nil, naught, nix, zip, nobody, no one, never.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just Alex and Ben, but it's not like many other games in their GOTY discussions are played extensively by more than 2 people.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I would agree with the consensus so far. And with at least alex and ben experiencing it, I feel the game will get at the very least a fair shake during goty.

ToySoldier83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will be finished by Ben and Alex only. But neither will fight for it for to be ob the top 10 GOTY for 2017.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher III got plenty of awards, don't worry.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Two - Alex and Ben.

Vinny won't get there (as someone who also has two young kids, I'll be lucky to finish it myself)

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

alex and ben, and that's okay. please don't make this another witcher 3 badgerthon.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Alex and Ben both sound like they're quite far, so I think there's a decent chance of them finishing it. Anyone else? No, nope, absolutely not.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By OurSin_360

This is another reason endurance must be run!

Seriously though i dont think not finishing a game will keep it from goty lists, they are always busy and i have seen games on the list before they hadnt finished but still loved(i believe i have anyway).

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Alex and Ben will. Vinny might but I doubt anyone else will even play it sadly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I don't think Vinny will. I've heard from multiple people how the game doesn't respect the player's time and how the story beats aren't very satisfying. With Vinny's busy life I bet these things will push him away from finishing.

Ben obviously will. Alex depends on if his girlfriend will want to finish it so who knows.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Ben: definitely
    Alex: probably
    Vinny: unlikely

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Giant Bomb is not a website that covers or likes many RPGs really. Don't expect it.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like it'll just be Alex and Ben otherwise it would have just been Alex

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's plenty of time in the rest of the year for Persona 5. I think the early months this year have been rough because of how many quality games were coming out. I don't see many other "must have" games coming out for a while this year, so maybe a lull will pull some interest.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alex and Ben only. Vinny will make it a third of the way through tops. At this point, I'm curious what Jeff and Vinny think about it as the original ER crew since it's so different from 4 in terms of its tone and story, but I have a feeling that if either or both of them finish it, the game will take the Destiny award for being on both the Top 10 and Most Disappointing lists given their outspoken feelings on 4.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this doesnt turn into another Witcher 3 where the site hounded the guys into playing it.

I figure Ben and Alex will probably finish, not sure anyone else cares enough to pick it up.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Dan definitely will. It seems like his type of game and during the last few podcasts, he's been talking about how much he wants to make time for it.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a feeling this will be the game to get robbed come GOTY time.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pyrodactyl

With the increased variety of games (now is the best time to be playing video games TM) GotY lists have become less and less relevant. I still like the podcast debates but the actual GotY list is so insane at this point. To many genres, to many games that have no business being compared to one another.

That being said, I feel like specific categories in GotY are where the real debates should take place. Persona 5 is a shoe in for best style and best music. It's a serious contender for 2 best moments. It could get robbed of those awards for sure by lesser instances that more people on staff played. Listening to Alex and Ben on podcasts, they don't even really articulate why they even like the game at all or why the played it for upward of 40-70 hours. This doesn't bode well for end of year talks AT ALL.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alex, because his girlfriend likes it so it's probably a cool thing to just chill and play.

Ben already seems a good way through it, so him too.

Maybe Vinny?

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

@burncoat: We still have Red Dead Redemption 2, Shadow of War, and Mario Odyssey this year.

I think GotY is mostly going to have 1-3 staff max finishing each game, with the possible exception of Zelda.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff will for sure give up, i reckon he will get to about July in game.

Vinny will never find enough hours to finish it.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Regardless of how many finish it, if it doesn't win Best Styyyyyyyyyle I'm gonna riot.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#34  Edited By mike

@pompouspizza said:

Is it really getting "robbed" if half of the crew doesn't finish the game because it didn't grab them in a way that warranted finishing it? That right there means the game wasn't good enough for them to include on, or put at the top of, their lists.

Novis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Novis

If they haven't finished it by now, the game ain't going to be finished at all. Persona 4 was a "right place, right time" thing for the crew and the magic was not recaptured for them.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I think Jeff will get back to it before the end of the year.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Ah, so the "Soulsborne snub" thread now extends to Persona.

Did you realize it was by the same user when you posted this, or did you just get lucky

drilbey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By drilbey

@dudeglove: Hopefully the Life is Cringe one as well

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alex and Ben and that's it. And Alex suggested he is mostly still playing because its something his partner is enjoying. It was obvious enough that interest in the game was middling at best from the crew beford it was even released. And equally obvious that people who misunderstand the goty top ten are going to call it this years snub.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Outside of Ben and Alex, I doubt anyone else will have finished P5 by the time GotY rolls around. That said, I wouldn't use that fact to discount the game from a top 10 placement. I believe it was the 2012 discussions where Jeff said that Persona 4 Golden was likely the best game of that year despite never playing it for any significant portion of time. Following that line of thought, I can see Jeff supporting the Persona 5 caucus this year in giving it a relatively high list placement.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alex and Ben. That's it.

And while it sounds like it could definitely end up on both their top 10's, it doesn't sound like either of them love it quite enough to fight for it tooth and nail in the overall top 10. It's almost a tradition at this point, that a great game gets the 11th spot (will never forget Bloodborne..) so that's probably where it'll end up.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell, even if they all finished it (which they won't) I don't think it would make the groups combined Top 10. Game has some issues in a lot of areas and doesn't have half the charm as P4. Was enjoyable to play through but it doesn't break my own Top 10 list for this year, compared to the amazing stuff we've had so far.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

Probably Ben

Maybe Alex

Probably not Vinny

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: I see your point, I can't really argue with that.

simplySY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl All great points. It should at least win best style and or best music. But yeah feel it may slip out of the staffs top ten which would seem a little crazy to me but then again its the staffs top ten.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way Ben has talked about P5 on the bombcast leads me to believe that it will struggle to make it on the collective Top 10 list. Brad, Jeff, Dan, and Jason will most likely have no problem leaving it off unless Ben or Alex really start liking it. Alex is obviously enjoying it and could certainly make a case, but my guess is he'll fight harder for Nier when it comes down to it. It's hard to say if Vinny will have the time to play much more or even dig it enough to fight for it.

Regardless, it's a great game and deserves recognition, but a list of 10 games that 8 people form from the games they liked the most this year is not the place to seek it.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Outside of Ben and Alex, I doubt anyone else will have finished P5 by the time GotY rolls around. That said, I wouldn't use that fact to discount the game from a top 10 placement. I believe it was the 2012 discussions where Jeff said that Persona 4 Golden was likely the best game of that year despite never playing it for any significant portion of time. Following that line of thought, I can see Jeff supporting the Persona 5 caucus this year in giving it a relatively high list placement.

You're right, but this was a unique case. Persona 4 Golden was just an expansion on Persona 4, which Jeff already loved (I think in that video he describes Persona 4 as one of the greatest experiences with games he's ever had or something similar). Persona 5 is a completely separate game and so different from 4 that there's no way he or anyone else could possibly make that argument without playing through a significant amount of the game and loving it.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm only raising eyebrows if it gets left out of Best Styyyyyyyyyyyyle.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@afabs515 said:
    @darth_navster said:

You're right, but this was a unique case. Persona 4 Golden was just an expansion on Persona 4, which Jeff already loved (I think in that video he describes Persona 4 as one of the greatest experiences with games he's ever had or something similar). Persona 5 is a completely separate game and so different from 4 that there's no way he or anyone else could possibly make that argument without playing through a significant amount of the game and loving it.

I've remained spoiler free so I'm not sure how long the game is (the calendar is probably a good gauge), but I've already put in over 110 hours and I still don't have all the party members. It's easy to see how the time commitment would simply stop people from even getting into it. You can probably finish around 5 triple A games that came out this year in the time it will take to finish Persona 5.

It's not really an issue for me as I play Persona games over the course of several months. I feel no need to rush. I'm sure the crew feels the pressure to finish as many games as possible once GOTY discussions get closer. You for sure can't rush Persona 5 and I wouldn't even call 20 hours a significant amount of the game. 20 hours is probably 1 Palace completed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.