Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

What motherboard should I get for current PC

darkness625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By darkness625

I'd like to upgrade my motherboard so it can be compatible with ryzen 5 cpu. My PC isn't self built, it's a pre built cyberpowerpc desktop, just have some parts changed.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229618

Current parts:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home

RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1600 (4GB x2)

Storage: 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5 GHz

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB OC DirectX 12 VR Ready

PSU: RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB 3 6.0

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

You'll be upgrading half of your computer then. The AM4 socket is completely different, so old CPUs aren't compatible. Also, Ryzen mobos take DDR4 RAM.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By OurSin_360

Windows looks at motherboard upgrades as getting a new computer so make sure you dont have an oem license or you will also have to buy a new copy.

darkness625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just realized i wrote cpu twice and updated that. So basically I should upgrade the mobo, ram, and cpu right? Still would like to know some recommended parts.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@darkness625: Ryzen is still really new. You'll have to search around the web for mobo reviews. Any well reviewed DDR4 RAM will do so long as it's supported by the mobo.

darkness625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By darkness625
    Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I've read that ryzen's performance is tied very strongly to RAM speed, so you'll probably want a MB that is capable of using 3200 DDR4.

I've build around 30 computers over the last 10 years for work and I've only ever used ASUS motherboards, never had a problem with any of them.

This is the one I'm probably going to go with when i do my next build https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-PRO/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.