Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Weird font display Issue

greylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi everyone, I've been using Windows 10 for about a month after building my very first PC and I'm switching over from macOS. One issue I've had is that I've noticed some fonts just display really weird for me in Windows compared to macOS. The resolution on the PC is 1920x1080 and 1440x900 on my Macbook Pro. Here are some screenshot examples of the issue:

Pay attention to the username text

Windows

Mac

Here's the text issue on another website, and also a link to the website to compare yourself:

Windows

Mac

Another Windows PC that's not mine

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here. As far as I know I've got all my drivers updated. Thanks in advance.

retrometal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Could be the desktop scaling setting you are currently at.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

www.giantbomb.com/forums/bug-reporting-33/all-of-my-text-on-the-forums-is-bold-regardless-of-1804011/

Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Different OS and different browsers are usually going to display fonts differently regardless of what you do. Apple tends to lean towards more blurry / smooth fonts vs Windows with more defined lines.

That being said, you might wanna check out your Adjust ClearType text option of the Windows Control Panel.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Check out the adjust cleartype text in the windows control panel. Scaling in Windows 10 is shit right now so you may need to mess around with UI and text scaling a but via control panel to get everything looking right.

the_devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What browser are you using? I'd suggest try a different browser to see if you get the same problem. It'll tell you whether it is a browser or OS issue.

mrblarg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mrblarg  Online

I checked the style on that site and it looks like their first choice font-family is Helvetica Neue. Some versions of that font have issues on Windows. Did you install, say, Photoshop on your system?

Extra font fact: The Windows font subsystem replaces "Helvetica" with "Arial" (but not Neue), even if you have Helvetica installed. Word is the only program I've seen that's immune (including other Office 2016 programs like Publisher). You have to turn it off in the registry.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.