Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

RAM - i = FAIL lol

DeadlyPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By DeadlyPain

3x1GB sticks All failed lmao!
    1 causes a blue screen - 1 causes the RAM beeping sound to indicate a problem and the last one works but failed the memory tests (WMDT - Windows memory diagnostic tests)

Now my concern is not that i've lost 2 sticks and 1 is damaged enough to conk out sooner or later but rather, is it something in my system that has caused it?
    Could it be the motherboard is dodgy and causing it?

its not a huge problem for me as i plan to build anougher system soon - but i'd like to know if there is something i could do now to test my system too see if it is dodgy and causing RAM errors to the extent they are failing :S
    im buying 4GB 2x2gb next week and i really don't wanna end up losing them too.

the only info i can give is that the RAM modules are Crucial ballistix, and amazingly they went tits-up not long after the warrent expired, Oh how fricking marvalous lol
    i hardly doubt all 3 modules were faulty, and im not judging crucials standards as they make really nice ram, they was fully stable and working, they just suddenly took a turn for the worst....i would personally assume something happened in my system which did this, i don't recall any power cuts or system failers but they can't be excluded........

the only other alternate is PSU - i've using a 550w to power my system and a seperate 500w to power my g-card (i had the 500w spare, no point in buying a new psu when i don't need to :P) - i know it works as i can play games just fine, so its obvious that the card is getting the power it needs.
    the PSU shouldn't be a problem doing this, as 550w minus the need to power a g-card is More then enough to run my system fully stable, so we can safely rule out PSU
    (Keep in mind please that this...psu fix as i call it, didn't cause the RAM problems, i already lost 1 stick before i did this)

Any help is very much appreciated, info on software to test my system, what i can manually do to help my system prehaps, or just general Q&A stuff that we can talk about to help find the cause of the problem.
    like i say, the chances of 3 seperate sticks all faulty? whats the odds in that right?

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By bjorno

what modules were they?

DeadlyPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DeadlyPain
    bjorno said:
    "what modules were they?"
    3x 1GB sticks at 800Mhz DDr2
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By keyhunter

There's a helpful artical about this at halflife2.zoy.nimp.org
    Also, reformat. And you might want to try deleting Windows\System

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bjorno

that link to last measure wont work.

DeadlyPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DeadlyPain
    keyhunter said:
    "There's a helpful artical about this at halflife2.zoy.nimp.org
    Also, reformat. And you might want to try deleting Windows\System"

o_O whats half life got to do with ram issues? - as far as im aware i've not played any half life games in awhile - and that address, wtf? looks dodgy :P
    my system has been reformated, and reformated quite afew times both before and after the ram issues accord so i can't remember what i had installed.....
    i don't deleted anything under windows folder, please explain how that would be helpfull? - Treat me like as a complete nub to all this :P
    agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By agent_lost

well it do my best, since we don't know what type of MoBo you have, but i that having 3 sticks was the problem. Most Motherboard can take 1, 2 and 4 stick config. Also if you check the manual they also says were to place the RAM and what type you need also. if all else Fail, then you might want to change the MoBo.

DeadlyPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DeadlyPain
    Agent_Lost said:
    "well it do my best, since we don't know what type of MoBo you have, but i that having 3 sticks was the problem. Most Motherboard can take 1, 2 and 4 stick config. Also if you check the manual they also says were to place the RAM and what type you need also. if all else Fail, then you might want to change the MoBo."

its a 680i - hmm, i'll have a look at that 3 stick thing.....might have caused the problem, since i recall i didn't have any problems with 2 sticks, i got the 3rd knowing 4gbs would be wasted on a x32 system.......it could be the reason.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.