Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Need Help Building New Gaming PC

Ghostwa1ker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As title says, need help building a gaming PC. I have a budget around $1,400 more or less. This is the build i am thinking about, but feel free to give suggestions and or make changes to the build.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZDKr6R

I have no case on their as i am looking for one with good airflow so that is why i haven't added one yet.

PS: Was thinking of going with AMD, but someone said not too as Ryzen chip Motherboard BIOSEs are Garbage. As i said, noob here so don't know anything about it. Here is exactly what he said:

Personally, I would avoid the RYZENS at this stage. Im a big AMD CPU fan but the RYZEN chip Motherboard BIOSEs are Garbage. AMD implemented PCIE Gen4 and has been having to disable that now. Then each version of the chip requires a different AEGIS (something like that) version. This means they cannot make a Unified BIOS due to limited space and you have to really researh which BIOS is needed for the Ryzen generation...right now 1.0.0.3 abba is for the Ryzen 3xxx but not all motherboard have it. The Ryzen 2xxx needs an older BIOS but the AEGIS numbers are not in numerical order, so it might be like a 1.0.0.8 (just example) so the BIOS does not tell you anything other than 1.0.0.3 abba and a lot of people update the bios like they do their drivers and create yet another issue.

Ghostwa1ker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Ghostwa1ker

I asked if I could get help building a new PC, but maybe I should ask if by upgrading mine it would still be solid. I have a i5 4690K with a 1080 FTW GPU and 8 GB of RAM, but the MB will need to be replaced as two channels for my RAM have stopped working.

If you do not think upgrading my PC would make it solid again, would you all recommend building a new PC i take it?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I asked if I could get help building a new PC, but maybe I should ask if by upgrading mine it would still be solid. I have a i5 4690K with a 1080 FTW GPU and 8 GB of RAM, but the MB will need to be replaced as two channels for my RAM have stopped working.

If you do not think upgrading my PC would make it solid again, would you all recommend building a new PC i take it?

What issues are you having with that pc? I probably can't help to much as I am still running an i5 6600k and a 1080 FTW and haven't kept up with the new stuff since I don't have any issues with my current setup. (still get 60fps at 1440p on most everything I play)

I think you could probably upgrade your gpu and be good, or keep the gpu and just upgrade your motherboard and cpu, ram etc. I think either would give you a boost.

I guess it depends on what you're looking to upgrade for.

Ghostwa1ker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: I play games online, but one game that seems not to get good FPS is World of tanks. I can't play that in HD version, i have to use the SD version. Not sure if it is my PC or what.

I do need a new MB for sure because two RAM slots burned out.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
    RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RalphMoustaccio

@ghostwa1ker: If I was in your situation, I would definitely be considering a new processor (and corresponding motherboard and ram, since those would be needed even if you stayed with Intel), but I would probably consider holding off on replacing your GPU at this point, unless you specifically are trying to play at 4K... or really just want to see the few games that use ray tracing well do their thing. The 2070 Super is certainly a stronger card than a 1080, but for 1080p and 1440p, a 1080 can still do pretty well on almost everything. The talk of the next-gen Nvidia cards is starting to heat up, with word that the 3080 release occurring around June of next year. You could save $500 bucks on your planned build now and set that away for a brand new card next year and have more headroom for future-proofing, as well as almost assuredly improved ray tracing performance over the current RTX cards.

You should also be able to reuse some items from your current build, such as storage drives, the PSU, and optical drive if you have one.

All that said, I wouldn't buy anything between now and Black Friday, because there's a good chance some items on your build list (or comparable ones) will go on sale.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: I play games online, but one game that seems not to get good FPS is World of tanks. I can't play that in HD version, i have to use the SD version. Not sure if it is my PC or what.

I do need a new MB for sure because two RAM slots burned out.

Never played but when I did a quick google search it looks like you aren't the only one having issues with it. If it's just for one game, definitely do your research and see how others are running it on the hardware you are thinking of getting.

IMO I would just update the motherboard/ram/cpu and leave the 1080 and maybe save up for a 2080 super or TI.

Ghostwa1ker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ghostwa1ker

@ralphmoustaccio said:

@ghostwa1ker: If I was in your situation, I would definitely be considering a new processor (and corresponding motherboard and ram, since those would be needed even if you stayed with Intel), but I would probably consider holding off on replacing your GPU at this point, unless you specifically are trying to play at 4K... or really just want to see the few games that use ray tracing well do their thing. The 2070 Super is certainly a stronger card than a 1080, but for 1080p and 1440p, a 1080 can still do pretty well on almost everything. The talk of the next-gen Nvidia cards is starting to heat up, with word that the 3080 release occurring around June of next year. You could save $500 bucks on your planned build now and set that away for a brand new card next year and have more headroom for future-proofing, as well as almost assuredly improved ray tracing performance over the current RTX cards.

You should also be able to reuse some items from your current build, such as storage drives, the PSU, and optical drive if you have one.

All that said, I wouldn't buy anything between now and Black Friday, because there's a good chance some items on your build list (or comparable ones) will go on sale.

The reason i am asking questions about a build is so i can be ready for black Friday. I want to see what to go with and hopefully score some good deals on the components.

As for the rest of what you said, it seems to be the consensus from everyone else that has given me advice in other forums as well. On other hand i could build a new PC and sell this one that i have to make back some of the money.

If i do just upgrade some of the components, Any suggestions for a good case with good airflow?

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
    RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostwa1ker: The Fractal Design Meshify C generally is considered a good high airflow case, since the entire front is wire mesh. I've also heard good things about the Be Quiet Pure Base line, despite the front being having a large solid panel. It seems like it's far enough forward from the fans that the mesh panels on each side can pull in good air from the front, and there's plenty of venting options on the top and back. The link is to the 500, but all of them have the same basic design, the higher numbers are just bigger. I think. Unfortunately, neither has a 5.25" bay for an optical drive. Including that will limit options pretty considerably these days, especially in the mid-size range. Generally, I'd just suggest something without a lot of glass on the front of the case, as it generally seems that most of those panels are too close to the fans and badly restrict inflow of air.

Ghostwa1ker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ralphmoustaccio: That Fractal is one of the cases i was looking at these past few days.

Ghostwa1ker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bBdgb8

Settled on that build. Any suggestions? Speak now or forever hold your peace lol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.