Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Issue upgrading my tertiary hard drive

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
    deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have a very strange issue right now trying to upgrade my hard drive. So far no one has any explanations.

So right now I have 3 hard drives. A nvme, a ssd, and a hdd. All 3 have no issues.

Because I don't have room for 2 hdd I'm replacing the old one.

If I just plug in the new hdd using the cables for the old one it does not format or anything.

If I use the cables that are in my ssd(just as an experiment) it works.

I have also tried plugging it into a different sata port and it still does not work.

Also if it helps the ports that are in question are SATA ports 4(hdd) and 6(ssd) . Not sure that would make a difference since again all the drives work other than this new one in port 4. Another note is I DO have a 3080, so I don't know if it's a power draw issue? Didn't think the new drive would have a significantly higher power draw, if higher at all(new WD Black 7200 vs a Seagate(I don't remember if it was a cuda or anything).

The last configuration I tried was SSD using old HDD cables, and new HDD with SSD cables. That also does NOT work.

Literally the only configuration that works is old HDD + new HDD. It does not seems to like both the SSD and new HDD, which is the only reason I could think it could POSSIBLY be a power issue.

Needless to say, I am at a loss, and so is everyone I've asked. HALP!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.