Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Is your PC lit?

• 102 results
    isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

Edited By isomeri

Poll Is your PC lit? (386 votes)

Yes 44%
    No 53%
    I don't own a PC 3%

Recently I've been looking into upgrading some components in my PC and adding some extra cooling to the case. More specifically, adding 140mm fans to the top of the case. What's bummed me out is that I've found some good deals on great looking fans, but all of them include bright LED lights.

My last PC had a big window on the side, through which one could stare at all the pretty components whirling around doing their work. After a quick novelty period wore off, I became extremely irritated at all of the lights emanating out from inside the case. My current rig only has a single blue LED on the top indicating that it's turned on, and even that I often try to cover up with something. I'm really not a fan of bright, especially blinking, lights anywhere near my monitors when I want to concentrate on a game or movie or whatever.

So I guess I just want to know if other users prefer to add LED lights to their PC, or in other ways show off the components inside. Or if you're like me and would rather have the PC be as invisible as possible.

"Oh, its lit"

• 
    isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS: I fucked up and forgot to add this to the PC forums. I'm sorry.

Sysyphus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yee man, smoke e'ry day :)

Seriously though , yes it is. I've got LEDs on the front of the case and a nice big window on the left hand side of the case so you can see the lights on the inside too. I like it, it gives the pc some character rather than just being another bland black box!

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I - like the OP - prefer my black box bland. So many blinding blue power LEDs these days I find myself covering them all up with electrical tape.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I hate the LEDs with a passion! I have a completely covered black shell (no logos) but still ended up with a tiny LED ring around the on switch to indicate when the PC is on... which mildly bugs me. If the light isn't used for troubleshooting issues, then I don't want it.

Same dislike for lighting on keyboards and mice too.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixavd said:

Same dislike for lighting on keyboards and mice too.

I actually quite enjoy having lights on my keyboard. I'm still using a very old Logitech G15 (the one with the flip-screen). Even though I've got all the basic keys in muscle memory at this point, it's reassuring to be able to quickly find an F8 for example in the dark when I need to.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@dixavd: You could just disconnect the PWR LED connector from the header on the board to not have that power light.

My new video card lights up but it's not super bright so it gives just enough light to see all the components through the window

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yep, I've got one of these:

Loading Video...

It's been sitting on static blue for the last six months, however, same with my RGB keyboard and mouse.

Don't think I'll be travelling this path again. ;)

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By brandondryrock

My 980 and CPU water cooler give off a faint white light, which is enough to see the components inside. I actually kind of enjoy it. I think for my next build I want to do lit up closed loop water cooling, so it will be even more lit.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@musclerider:I know I could do that. I could systematically go through and figure out which power connectors are LEDs and unclip them - but that's a step I'm not comfortable with getting right (I'm also lazy). While it is my gaming PC, and I have been upgrading it, I didn't originally put it together (just bought the parts with a friend and helped him put it together) so I'm not used to what all the parts do other than the commonly replaceable parts. Essentially, I'm too lazy and nervous to mess with it at the moment. Maybe when I eventually have to change the processor or motherboard, I'll look into it. So far I've only had to change Hard Drives, Graphics Cards and RAM.

@isomeri: I can see how it would be useful, but it just adds sources of light to reflect on things into my eyes. I much prefer ones with varying button shapes/textures to find things in low-light rooms. Only Kayboards I genuinely prefer with lights are the musical instruments so that I can easily tell which modifiers are active (and on what keys).

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Fuck no. The last thing I want is obnoxious LEDs illuminating a dark room when I'm trying to play a game.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My PC doesn't need fancy lights to be lit. But no, it doesn't have any. Apart from maybe some neutral looking ones to show what's inside if you have a window, I think it looks dumb. I even disconnected my power/HDD lights on the case.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#12  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I've got enough lighting with the orange LED on the back indicating motherboard power, the blinking green network activity LED and the blue power LED on front of the case.

I also really don't like blue LED's. The light from those is really distracting.

If they had the warm yellowish glow that my old Electribe has, I'd probably be more into it though.

I've never really been interested in gamer PC cases or anything of that sort. Ever since I started building PC's in the 90's I've just gone with cheap, functional cases. Had beige desktop cases for as long as they were available, my last couple of ones have been black towers since that's all you can get these days.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

People still put lights in their PCs? I used to do that back in 2003 when Fast and the Furious and Need For Speed Underground made neon lights super hot. I've not used lights in over a decade.

twitterlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda sorta. I didn't go through the effort to setup a hot fuckin sickass lighting rig but my liquid cooler lights up and so does the Windforce logo on my GPU.

Quantical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who turned out the lights?

If it was practical mine would be lit up like the spaceship from Close Encounters.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I try to turn off as many lights as possible when the parts I buy have them. They just kind of look tacky and remind me too much of the grimy LAN shop experience.

Picky_Bugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My PC case is a Fractal Design R5, it's pretty sweet. I chose it partly because it doesn't look like a 'gaming' case so it's very understated for a PC case. Sadly there are a few blue lights but they turn off when the PC is off, unlike the previous case I had. Bright lights on PCs are fucking lame.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I could have my way my PC would look like a 90's tower. All cream all the way baby.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cloudymusic
    @picky_bugger said:

My PC case is a Fractal Design R5, it's pretty sweet. I chose it partly because it doesn't look like a 'gaming' case so it's very understated for a PC case. Sadly there are a few blue lights but they turn off when the PC is off, unlike the previous case I had. Bright lights on PCs are fucking lame.

I have the R4 I think, but I got it primarily because of its sound-muffling properties (along with some other stuff like the user-friendly drive bays). I'm super happy with it!

I used to have a ~sick gamer rig~ with ~sick gamer lights~ in my PC like 15 years ago, but now I just want it to be hard-to-see and quiet (while still packing a punch inside, of course).

Picky_Bugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloudymusic: Yeah that's exactly where I'm at, the sound thing was a plus for me as well. It's a nice case especially if you don't want it to be the center of your room.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Player1

When I was a child, I always imagined my rig to have a bunch of flashing lights. So I bought a bunch of dumb LED fans for the thing and I couldn't be happier. Oh, it's lit alright.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Yes, my PC is lit fam.

It also happens to have some lights in it. Not all that many though, and they're pretty dim.

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Tyrrael

Nope, never touch the stuff. Can't stand it. In fact, I even have the LEDs on my mouse turned off. I have the Corsair 550D case (great case, I highly recommend), and it has no windows on it at all. It is simply a black box all the way around with a silver panel in the front where the different front ports and power button are. It's beautiful. *wipes away tear*

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ezekiel

No. I pulled out all the LED cables from the system panel (only leaving the power switch cable), turned off my mouse LED through the downloadable software and turned off the power light for my monitor. The only light is one for the fan at the bottom-front of my case, which I don't think can be turned off. I hate LEDs, especially when I'm trying to sleep or not be distracted.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

The first PC I built had about 10 extra lights in it. The tenth PC I built has zero lights in it.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

PC lighting is goofy. Had a lot on a past rig and figured out how to turn it off. My new one has a power light and that's it.

CouldbeRolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, except for a dimly lit power button, my PC is a black monolithic full tower (Corsair D700)

Dayve86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, but I'd prefer if it wasn't. The case I have came with bright LEDed fans. I cut the power to most of the LEDs but there's still a couple that are wired in such a way that I don't trust cutting any of them. I also black sharpied over the power/hdd lights because they're too bright. Next case I get is definitely going to be a boring black case that only has a dim LED for power and no window.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pyrodactyl

Bro it is LIIIIIIIT!!!!&$#

Not really

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my old PC had big led lit fans in the front that were ridiculously bright but it never actually bothered me too much.

My new PC has a window on the side and my video card has a light or two on it. I guess if the lights are on then the fan is off and if the lights are off then the fan is on. Or something so I guess its kind of practical. and its not crazy bright but I like a little lighting at night so I don't have to use any of my house lights.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
    deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just slightly lit. My case also came with illuminated fans.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

My computer has blue LED lights around the 3 fans. 2 in the front and 1 in the back with a huge window on the side. I love this machine.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i have some fan lights, but it's more out of laziness than anything. doesn't bother me really and i don't feel the need to go out of my way to "fix" it.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've got lights up the ass. My PC is within a custom drawer that has red LEDs around the perimeter. The fans on the outside are all red as well. The glass on the top really lights up the room, but I don't mind. I can find ways to sleep regardless of the light levels.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If my computer were completely fucking invisible I would be so so happy

And while we're at it completely dead silent, too

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So lit, brah

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

There's one LED on the power button and it's so fucking ridiculously bright. I would've removed it long ago if I kept my PC on during nights more often, but it's such a rare issue now that I'm too lazy.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These days the only thing I like lit up is my keyboard and even that I'll turn off sometimes. I used to LED all of my cases and looked for cases with windows but I just find them tacky and garish these days. Now all I want are clean lines, performance, and easy access to internal components.

Also really like cases that won't shred my hands when I'm working on them.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bdead said:

Just slightly lit. My case also came with illuminated fans.

That's me also. I have 3 lit case fans that really do not over-present. I even would not mind having an interior light as long as it was not bright.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Da ba dee da ba daa...
    Da ba dee da ba daa...

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@dave_tacitus: Yo that looks DOOOOOOPE. I'm only interested in white light in my PC, but that thing offers SO MANY OPTIONS.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. My PC builds are designed to be quiet, not blinky.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falconer: It looks better at night, but here's mine in action:

Loading Video...

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Built my PC last week and yes sir it is. I don't really care if it wasn't but I like the black/red combo (was a fan of Jafar as a kid) in life and so that is what my PC is

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have red LED fans and somw old blue cold cathode lights but they aren't turned on right now since my PC is on the floor *gasp!*

If you want lighting, just get one of NXZT's HUE system. RGB LEDS in a mountable strip. Waaay better than the old cold cathode sticks we used to use back in the day. RGB LEDs are the new hotness!

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: yup that's usually how all of this works!

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some people get real uptight about other people using lights and side panel windows. I had white LED fans for a while to light up the inside of my case without being super bright. Now the only lights are on the ones built into my motherboard and GPU. I can go either way. We time hiding cables and stuff. Nothing wrong with someone wanting to light up their build. If you're going that route, you need some kind of order and a plan. Throwing stuff like lights in at random is when it starts to look tacky. There are some real nice looking builds with lights and windows. There's a fine line between a clean build with LED and one that looks like a 16 year old's Honda Civic in 2002.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falconer: If you just want white, you'd be better off with something like this.

Thing is, I started off with something like that and ended up with a HUE+ six months later. It's a rabbit hole...

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure when I was 20. I feel it just looks tacky now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.