Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Is it worth it?

DeadlyPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By DeadlyPain
    VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By VACkillers

it depends on what your wanting to do with it.... quad core cpus you still dont even need yet, its good for stuff like video editing and video capture, but there is still a very limitation of games that actually use the full quad cores yet.... You could just keep your e8600 chip and upgrade just the graphics card to a gtx280 on your high end machine..... but you can always just upgrade the graphics card later anyway, the g260 is still a very good card.

Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Maru

Well if you have the spare money yeah.

But are you gonna do Tri SLI (780i, 790i thats what they are good for) ?  or use DDR3 ?  because I personally think they are not worth it unless your a hardware enthusiast  with lots of money.

DeadlyPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DeadlyPain
    Maru said:
    "Well if you have the spare money yeah.

But are you gonna do Tri SLI (780i, 790i thats what they are good for) ?  or use DDR3 ?  because I personally think they are not worth it unless your a hardware enthusiast  with lots of money.
    well, ddr3 would be future proofing tbh....
    i wasn't thinking of going tri maybe sli though not sure, but with that mobo and a 850w power, i could if i wanted too.

i would like to future proof myself, but as my system at the moment can play crysis with all eye candy at max with....fair framerate, the upgrade to the "high end" would be enough
    but at the rate games are evolving, it might not be enough for future proofing and i'll end up making the wrong choice and should have gone for the Top of the range......im just not sure :(

i suppose i could wait, theres not any demanding games coming out till what....summer 09?
    Vlademir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Vlademir

Top of the line stuff means you wont need to upgrade for a little longer and prices may also go down by xmas.

SimpleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SimpleBear

It's kind of hard to tell what you're upgrading from... want to list out what you currently have? You might want to say what resolution you plan on running as well... example: if you're only running 1680 x 1050, you might be fine with just a 4850 or even whatever you currently have.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Gunner

get the cheaper one.. DDR3 isnt worth it right now. in about a year, if the prices drop and it becomes faster with better timings, it would only be another 100 bucks for the memory and a new mobo.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

You dont need DDR3, or a quad core. The high end rig is just fine.

Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Maru
    DeadlyPain said:
    "Maru said:
    "Well if you have the spare money yeah.

well, ddr3 would be future proofing tbh....
    i wasn't thinking of going tri maybe sli though not sure, but with that mobo and a 850w power, i could if i wanted too.

i would like to future proof myself, but as my system at the moment can play crysis with all eye candy at max with....fair framerate, the upgrade to the "high end" would be enough
    but at the rate games are evolving, it might not be enough for future proofing and i'll end up making the wrong choice and should have gone for the Top of the range......im just not sure :(

i suppose i could wait, theres not any demanding games coming out till what....summer 09?"

If you can play crysis at fair framerate with maxed out settings..... I would just wait, because the increase would be minimal.

save up your money and go crazy on the next generation hardware ( when they come out).  

I'm dying to upgrade my crappy non overclockable Asus 680i (stuck at 3.0Ghz on my q6600), but will wait,  because all the game are running flawlessly for now.

But you know it's your choice... just giving you my opnion.

StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By StressedOutCat

if you getting a computer to play games..  DDR3 and DDR2 make almost no real noticeable difference.. the amount you have does.. like 8GB is better than 4GB ( specially in vista 64bit )
    in some games having a dual core CPU or a quad core CPU does make a difference ... big example is world in conflict.
    the videocard(s) you want to get depends on your screen and the resolution you play games... if you only have a 22" screen and your resolution you play games is 1680 x 1050 .. one single mid/high-end card is enough...
    multi sli/crossfire is more useful when your screen is bigger like 24"to 30" and at higher resolution  example1920 x 1200 / 2560 x 1600

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By SSbabel

Might aswell spend that little extra to buy the top of the range PC, its gonna be with you that little longer than the high end.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.