Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

GTX/RTX 20XX Series Unveiled Tomorrow!

• 87 results
    Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sanity

Anyone else looking forward to seeing what the gains are with these? Im thinking about getting one just depends on price. I got a 3440x1440 monitor last fall and my 1070 works ok for most things but i would like to see more consistent frame rates. I might actually be stupid and get a 2080ti if there around 800 just to be good for 2-3 years. By then i can upgrade my 5820k to something better. Still curious about ray tracing though, dont know much about it and i hope its not another Physx or hairworks gimmick.

Anyone else looking at upgrading?

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm very content with being in the 1080p mid-range with a Haswell i5 and Strix 1060, but I am curious to see how well these new cards bench when I see a 21:9 monitor that I like.

bobdude1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, really looking forward to to the 2080ti, I have put off getting a videocard and I think it will be worth the wait. Got an 8700k, so like you I'm hoping to be good for 2-3 years.

Price doesn't really matter to me, I currently have enough disposable income.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By chrjz

The more information that leaks about these cards, the less interested I am. I was looking forward to starting my 4K journey but now I think I'll wait for HDMI 2.1 TVs to be released first, since these cards won't even support it.

With the only information not available yet being price, they could really only win me over by being cheap... and that's not going to happen.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chrjz: @chrjz: Yea, if you want to use a TV it sucks, Be nice if TV manufactures would add a display port in the mean time to fill the gap this gen but i doubt it with licensing fees. I imagine the Nvidia BFGD will have it but its also going to be crazy money.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanity: Those BFGDs do look cool but even they won't be able to handle 4K 120hz HDR without chroma subsampling. I'd be fine with 98hz and full 4:4:4 but, yeah, those things are going to be expensive and huge; 65" is too big for me.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

@sanity: Crap, I was planning on getting one of these with a 4k TV purchase in the near future as well. That isn't even something I considered. So what does this mean? Will PC still output 4k on TV just at a low refresh rate or what?

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

i'm looking forward to the information seeing as my Strix gtx 970 died earlier this year, right in the middle of the graphics card price hike. Dunno if i'll be grabbing the new cards at their inevitable high price or if i'm hoping the older cards will drop in price. Built in ray-tracing sounds significant from what i can tell.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really interested in the whole announcement debacle i haven't been able to be psyched about a card in years. I look forward to seeing it reviewers hands though, see how they perform.

xamon0288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just made the move to 4K so I am interested in upgrading to this new generation of card but early reports show that the 2080 cost around $750-850 and the 2080Ti $1000-1100 so its a hard pass for me on these ones, will probably get the RTX2070 if it is around $500. I cannot justify buying a card above $600 even if I can afford it.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cmblasko

So excited for real time ray tracing in games. Especially if it frees up cycles to do other stuff with. And make it easier for graphics programmers.

More importantly though... does this mean I will be able to get a 1070 for cheap sometime soon?

blakey1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By blakey1985

so ive just banged a preorder down for a 2080ti not sure how i feel about the price tag

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New cards unveiled along with release date and pricing.

RTX 2070 - $499

RTX 2080 - $699

RTX 2080ti - $999

Releasing on September 20th.

Those prices though. Woof.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Did they talk about at all about what can we expect from these cards? $999 is a lot of money....

blakey1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By blakey1985

1100 after tax on the uk site

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu said:

Did they talk about at all about what can we expect from these cards? $999 is a lot of money....

No, we won't know performance before reviewers get them in their hands. They just kept throwing around the skewed performance of the Ray Tracing part compared to previous gen cards. Saying the 2080 is x times faster then a 1080 in Ray Trace means nothing right now.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meierthered: Ya...I'm holding out on benchmarks/reviews before preordering. You make an excellent point that they're referring to ray tracing power here which is just another nVidia gameworks feature that will only be leveraged by a handful of games (and might tank performance if it's anything like their other gameworks features).

4k performance for non RTX games is what I'm mostly intrigued about.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It's weird that they didn't even touch on non-raytracing performance.

Ljb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is this raytracing by nVidia another proprietary feature that no games on console will use and a handful of games ported over PC will only later adopt. The prices are pretty crazy, I would skip this gen if I already have 1070/1080.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, fuck that. (not that i'm surprised)

blakey1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

aye its dear as fuck shall have my finger over the cancel button when the benchmarks roll in. might sting less after i sell my 1070

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By conmulligan

@ljb said:

So is this raytracing by nVidia another proprietary feature that no games on console will use and a handful of games ported over PC will only later adopt. The prices are pretty crazy, I would skip this gen if I already have 1070/1080.

It's a bit of both. RTX cards use the DirectX Raytracing (DXR) pipeline (and eventually Vulkan) but NVIDIA have also developed a set of raytracing-powered GameWorks components for things like reflections and shadows. Assuming developers opt not to use the GameWorks SDK, their work should theoretically carry over to any future raytracing-equipped AMD cards and consoles, but it's unclear how far along AMD are with equivalent hardware support for realtime raytracing and if it'll make it into next-gen console architectures.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

We could have a tax battle all night long I guess, but yeah, the 2080 Ti looks to be retailing starting at 1300 euros in Finland. That's more than I've ever spent on a PC.

Ray tracing sure seems interesting, but I still see no reason to upgrade from a 1060. Especially not at these prices.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By chrjz

@big_denim said:

@sanity: Crap, I was planning on getting one of these with a 4k TV purchase in the near future as well. That isn't even something I considered. So what does this mean? Will PC still output 4k on TV just at a low refresh rate or what?

HDMI 2.0 doesn't have the bandwidth to do 4K 60hz and HDR without chroma subsampling (which makes text on PCs look blurry). This isn't a big deal if you aren't using a TV as a PC monitor or you don't want HDR.

For those of us that do, it's a bummer. DisplayPort can do it and HDMI 2.1 which will probably be available some time next year.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I wish I was on the same cycle of many of you others. Saying I'm holding on to my 10XX would sound real good right now, considering the prices.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By chrjz
    @bybeach said:

Man, I wish I was on the same cycle of many of you others. Saying I'm holding on to my 10XX would sound real good right now, considering the prices.

Yeah, I got my 1070 two years ago for $350 after taxes ($450 Canadian)... Still pretty happy with that. If you're looking to upgrade I would wait for these cards to come out and then try to find a good deal on a 1080 Ti.

Barthez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They did very briefly during the Infiltrator UE4 demo. I think it works out to about 30% increase in FPS between the 1080 Ti and 2080 Ti.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chrjz: I did a bit of digging on this, and sorry I'm a bit slow here (since when did TVs become more freaking complicated than anything else PC related???). So HDMI 2.0 can support EITHER 4:4:4 Chroma Subsampling (to create clear text on PC) OR HDR, but it can't do both?

If that's the case, then yes that is really stupid. Given, most games on PC don't support HDR at this time, though I expect it to become more and more prevalent in the next year or so now that most console-released games support HDR.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Laughter but also crying.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barthez said:

@conmulligan said:

They did very briefly during the Infiltrator UE4 demo. I think it works out to about 30% increase in FPS between the 1080 Ti and 2080 Ti.

Oh, right, I forgot about that. Although, even that wasn't a like-for-like comparison, with the 1080 Ti demo using TAA and the 2080 Ti demo using Turing's DLSS.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By chrjz

@big_denim: Yeah, that's correct. To even further complicate things, you can enable HDR by lowering the colour depth from 10-bit to 8-bit which then uses dithering to create an imitation HDR effect.

Ultimately, if you want a 4K TV right now, you'll get 4K 60hz with some compromises. Either fake / no HDR or chroma subsampling.

I don't think I want to invest in an upgrade path with these limitations. It's possible AMD will beat Nvidia to HDMI 2.1 or maybe these 20XX cards are only a 1 year cycle. Hopefully next year's TVs will have it. It comes down to whether you think it's worth it to wait...

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chrjz said:

@big_denim: Yeah, that's correct. To even further complicate things, you can enable HDR by lowering the colour depth from 10-bit to 8-bit which then uses dithering to create an imitation HDR effect.

Ultimately, if you want a 4K TV right now, you'll get 4K 60hz with some compromises. Either fake / no HDR or chroma subsampling.

I don't think I want to invest in an upgrade path with these limitations. It's possible AMD will beat Nvidia to HDMI 2.1 or maybe these 20XX cards are only a 1 year cycle. Hopefully next year's TVs will have it. It comes down whether you think it's worth it to wait...

What? Youre saying the TCL Roku 4k 60hz TV I bought has fake HDR? If thats fake I cant imagine what real HDR looks like...

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Those prices are hysterical. My next upgrade will be an AMD.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By chrjz

@xanadu said:

What? Youre saying the TCL Roku 4k 60hz TV I bought has fake HDR? If thats fake I cant imagine what real HDR looks like...

It could be, or you might only be getting 4:2:0 chroma subsampling, which you wouldn't notice unless you were using it as a PC monitor.

No Caption Provided

Source

deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'll wait for the RTX 2060 if it's around $300-$400.

mattchops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aren't the "founders editions" (i.e the ones released within the first 3 months or so) always ridiculously expensive, or is that just a misconception I've got from only partially paying attention to these things? Regardless, I have a gaming PC in rather bad condition now (originally built in 2012, with one upgrade to a 970 since) so I may save up to build a mostly new one, and the jump in possible visuals I saw on showcase today make me much more interested in doing that sooner (i.e. next few years) rather than later.

Anyway - I thought those shadow effects looked truly stunning regardless of price tag. It's genuinely amazing how great texture and lighting tech has got (now if only models and animation could be given as much of a focus...)

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If the $499 2070 is 50% better performance at 1080p or VR than my 1070, then maybe I'll get one next year. Otherwise I'm fine right now.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a 980 and was waiting for this new line before upgrading. The 1000 series is good but I've gotten into this habit of going every other generation since it seems like it doesn't impact me that much to wait.

But those prices, man. Fuck. Unless they come down by the time I get my tax return, I might have to just jump in on a 1080ti at a lower price or something... Is their new architecture really that expensive or is this a result of tariffs making components more expensive, like Rorie mentioned during a video recently?

ltcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don’t want to be the old man in the room, but I remember when you had to be out of your effing mind to spend the $300 on a top of the line card. For the price of the top card now, you can get an Xbone X and a 60” 4K TV to play it on, and probably a couple of games.

If PC gaming is your hobby and you can justify that kind of investment, more power to you, but I think my days of buying PC parts are over.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don’t want to be the old man in the room, but I remember when you had to be out of your effing mind to spend the $300 on a top of the line card. For the price of the top card now, you can get an Xbone X and a 60” 4K TV to play it on, and probably a couple of games.

If PC gaming is your hobby and you can justify that kind of investment, more power to you, but I think my days of buying PC parts are over.

I've been feeling this way more and more. I like what I can get out of a game with a good graphics card and all, but it's just way too expensive. Looking at water cooling, a new card, a new heavy duty PSU, and possibly a new case, and I'm just at a point where I'm exhausted by it. Meanwhile, I got a decent 4k TV for like 230 bucks and I already have a PS4.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Sanity

@atomicoldman said:
    @ltcolumbo said:

I've been feeling this way more and more. I like what I can get out of a game with a good graphics card and all, but it's just way too expensive. Looking at water cooling, a new card, a new heavy duty PSU, and possibly a new case, and I'm just at a point where I'm exhausted by it. Meanwhile, I got a decent 4k TV for like 230 bucks and I already have a PS4.

Thing is you dont need all that, if you are content with 1080p or even 1440p you can build a machine that will play any game for 600-800 bucks with a few adjustments to settings here and there and it will still look better then consoles typically. I do enjoy the higher end stuff but it dose get crazy expensive and your right that at some point its not worth it.

For now my decision to buy a 2080 ti is on hold anyways as i worked like 12 hours today and cant find em in stock anywhere now that im home. If anyone knows where i could place a pre-order for one let me know! Not sure if i want it yet but can always back out later and im not gonna preorder a 2080 as i want to see benchmarks first. Thanks!

Edit: i guess there is the Founders edition.... Are there coolers better or worse then third party? I usually like sticking with EVGA.... never got a FE before.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanity: I mostly want to go with water cooling to lower dust intake. I know there's still intake of course, but a reduction would be nice on top of the better cooling temperatures. Still up in the air on that. PSU I've had for 6 years, it's on warranty for 10 so I also don't think there's a need to replace it, but I'm heavily considering it since I'd rather not push it and have a power failure that takes components with it. But maybe I'm just being paranoid about that, I don't know.

GPU though, I have a 980. It's fine. A 1000 card would be better and there's a real chance that if the 2000 cards don't drop in value by tax season I'll just go with a 1000 card. Those prices are murder, and I really can't justify it right now.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Sanity

@atomicoldman said:

@sanity: I mostly want to go with water cooling to lower dust intake. I know there's still intake of course, but a reduction would be nice on top of the better cooling temperatures. Still up in the air on that. PSU I've had for 6 years, it's on warranty for 10 so I also don't think there's a need to replace it, but I'm heavily considering it since I'd rather not push it and have a power failure that takes components with it. But maybe I'm just being paranoid about that, I don't know.

GPU though, I have a 980. It's fine. A 1000 card would be better and there's a real chance that if the 2000 cards don't drop in value by tax season I'll just go with a 1000 card. Those prices are murder, and I really can't justify it right now.

Yea... i hear yea... i preordered a Founders Edition 2080ti because im a idiot and have no self control not getting it till October though, guessing the shortage is gonna be real bad on these. if i get 3 years out of it thats like only like 400 a year so thats how im gonna do that math... lol. Little afraid about going with a reference card as i dont water cool personally, but thats all i can find. I do like the look of it though, never seen a reference card with 2 fans and this is the first TI card i got since my 780ti.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@bigboss1911: But will the performance be comparable?

I don't play with 4k so it wouldn't be a problem. And I have better than things to spend $500> on.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By chrjz

@sanity said:

Edit: i guess there is the Founders edition.... Are there coolers better or worse then third party? I usually like sticking with EVGA.... never got a FE before.

Hard to say for these cards as Nvidia had always used the blower style coolers before, instead of this dual fan design. These tend to cool well and are quieter while adding a little more ambient heat to your system. I imagine it'll be very similar to a lot of third party coolers.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Sanity

@chrjz said:
    @sanity said:

Hard to say for these cards as Nvidia had always used the blower style coolers before, instead of this dual fan design. These tend to cool well and are quieter while adding a little more ambient heat to your system. I imagine it'll be very similar to a lot of third party coolers.

Reading a bit more its being rumored that the FE dose have a factory overclock which is kinda nice (odd for a refrence card i think?). Wondering if im being dumb buying the TI for 3440x1440... im guessing most people getting it are doing 4k, but ultrawide 120hz with gsync sounds really nice to me, id rather have framerate and ultrawide over the higher res personally.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By atomicoldman

@sanity: A far as water cooling a card goes, I know people do that but my understanding was that it's always an excessive step. When I was looking into what water cooling to use the advice I came across often was to not concern yourself with GPU cooling and rely on the card's fan and just focus on using a water cooler on the processor.

I don't know how well the founders cards do with cooling. I have an EVGA GTX980 FTW Edition and that card has some issues in that regard. Granted I live in a hot climate and the PC is against the wall which is a factor, but the card maintains a resting temp that seems higher to me than what it should be. Factor in that it has a downclocking issue where it won't drop down after playing a game. Wound up using third party software to remedy that, because otherwise it was sitting at 60C like I was playing something even while idle. Now it's forced to downclock and idles near 38C. I'm hoping the 2000 series is better about cooling across the board, and downclocking, and I'm not sure how the 1000 series handles that.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanity: I think 3440x1440 at high frame rates is a perfect application for these cards.

No Caption Provided

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanity: A far as water cooling a card goes, I know people do that but my understanding was that it's always an excessive step. When I was looking into what water cooling to use the advice I came across often was to not concern yourself with GPU cooling and rely on the card's fan and just focus on using a water cooler on the processor.

It's definitely an excessive step. I have a full custom loop; it's expensive and high maintenance but it's a hobby that I enjoy. I would argue the opposite, that the GPU is much more important to water cool as it produces the most noise and heat in your system. The main reason I started water cooling was to overclock my GPU while keeping it quiet and cool. CPUs are easy to cool with a relatively decent tower heatsink and quiet fans.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.