Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

GPU liquid cooling

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

I am checking for options to buy a PC with liquid cooling for the GPU (in Ireland), and quite disappointed at that.

So far I could only find three options:

1. Assemble it myself. For which I would probably rely on Amazon to deliver me the parts, as I did not find great shops either. This is something that I do not enjoy and I would like to avoid.
    2. Aurora R11 from Alienware: I do not know why they have put the radiator below the GPU, seems to be a good design choice to keep the GPU warm. The radiator AFAIK should be on the top of the case, over the fan that blows through it.
    3. Corsair One: this one seems good in every regard, but I do not need to pay extra for the compact PC, I am happy with a PC that is regular-size and regular price (considering the components), I only want a good thermal management (which seems impossible to find).

Could anyone point me to other possibilities? Any of the following helps:

1. Products
    2. Shops
    3. Places to ask

Thank you.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
    RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It does appear that some boutique gaming PC companies like Maingear and Origin PC offer water cooling on GPUs as an option. But, those will be in tiers of systems that are going to cost quite a lot. I have never seen any GPUs that come with AIOs pre-assembled, so your options seem limited to some degree of assembly, or a significant expenditure of money.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By trylks

@ralphmoustaccio: in Origin the price seems to be similar to Alienware, however I could not configure the case, cooling, and GPU in a way that would allow me to continue.

In Maingear the price seems is higher than Corsair One, with similar specs, and a greater form factor. It seems superior only in the possibility of greater configuration options, but to me that is not worth the extra cost at this time.

At least I see there are really no other options...

PD: what happened with post #3 ?

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
    RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trylks: There certainly may be some other companies out there that offer it, but I think the pricing is likely to be sky-high from all of them. I agree that it doesn't seem worth the premium.

dsjwetrwete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dsjwetrwete

Why do you need the GPU to be liquid cooled? Are you putting it in a SFF case? Is Ireland really hot? Do you plan on doing EXTREME overclocking? Otherwise air cooling would be cheaper, effective, and more reliable. (And often quieter, pump noise is a known quantity) Liquid coolers have limited lifespans.

Even for the CPU, something like a higher-end Noctua cooler would be more than adequate for 5GHz clocks. I personally wouldn't mess with liquid cooling outside of space constraints.

icoangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If your not actually interested in liquid cooling I would probably avoid it you should be able to get good enough results if you don't want to overclock on air with no issue at all.

I have a custom loop I put together myself but you need to be interested in it to put in the time and effort to do it right.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm assuming you're overclocking or want less noise or something, i got a custom build last year and made a really good decision regarding the GPU.
    Look for temperature comparisons, i used to just go for the most popular or cheapest version of a card, my previous card was a 980ti which idled at 50 and worked in the mid 80's, now i have a 2080ti but i paid more to get the coolest version available, which ended up being this monstrosity.

MSI Gaming X Trio
    MSI Gaming X Trio

It is capable of being the loudest in the range at max fan speed, but it doesn't go anywhere near that it's quietest card i've ever owned, it's currently extremely hot in the UK but even then Modern Warfare only had the card at 65c.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you all for your replies.

@dsjwetrwete: Reasons for liquid cooling, by order of relevance:

1. Running intense workloads (~90% GPU usage) for weeks non-stop.
    2. Likely using this or equivalent PC in hot climates, ~35ºC for weeks.
    3. Noise reduction, and durability of the GPU (keep it "healthy").
    4. Space is a plus: I do not need the compactness of Corsair One, but some cases are humongous...

Not reasons: Not overclocking, not crypto mining, not displaying anywhere...

@ralphmoustaccio: Liquid cooling for the CPU is now somewhat normal, I do not understand why it is lagging so much behind for GPUs. The good thing from the thread is that I understand that this is how things really are, not just my limited perspective because for any reason Google was not working for me. Just like LEDs seem to be everywhere, there is no way around them.

@icoangel: I would prefer to get an assembled solution, TBH, I do not really enjoy puzzles or IKEA furniture. But if needed, I can assemble myself. However, even in such a context, finding options is quite a challenge (I am working on that now).

@cikame: If I cannot avoid the fans, I might just embrace them. In a way it makes sense to have many low-revs low-noise fans instead of few noisy ones, and saves a lot of hassle with the risks of liquid around. However, this brings me back to the previous point, I would have to choose and assemble, which I would prefer to avoid, but I might just go for it out of alternatives and frustration.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gundato

@trylks If you actually said what your use case was* folk might be able to help you find alternatives

But it sounds like you know what you want and what you want is not a use case that really exists as a standard SKU. So you are stuck doing it yourself or paying someone to do it for you (and probably void the warranty in the process).

For what it is worth: I switched to an AIO solution for my CPU when games like assodd started making it a jet engine that was right next to my desk (and had already used one for my APU box I use as an htpc). Would still like to do the same to my gpu on principle but basically only Control got it revving up enough that it bothered me and that game always had Crysis energy so I am more likely to just wait a year or two and "upgrade" my system.

*: In my head, the only things that can have near peak usage for extended periods of time are intense computations, inefficient and outdated cryptocurrency, and render boxes. None of which you really want to be running in a desktop configuration.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundato: Intense computations, and playing games, sometimes. What would you suggest instead of a desktop configuration? Cloud computing costs would pay for the desktop several times per year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.