Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Google Chrome - Has Anyone Tried It?

gunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By gunslinger

I just got it, and I'll say that it's got a lot of the same aspects as firefox, so in that regard, if you've already got FF, then there's not much reason to get this...

Unless, of course, you're interested in the "independent tab" functionality. Basically meaning that, if one tab crashes due to a faulty site, then it wont crash the entire browser. Could be pretty handy...

It eats away at your memory, though, like nobody's business. Running about 2-3 tabs, then if you're computer doesn't have much RAM, then it might feel the strain... The task manager (which Chrome has an independent version of, showing you how much memory each tab is using) can be useful to show you how much you're using.

I like the Incognito feature in it, though, which is much like IE 8's InPrivacy mode, meaning that whatever sites you go on after activating it, are not stored in the browser history, and the cookies are not kept. Useful for.. erm.. "innocent" activities.

It's still in the beta version, but if it plays its cards right, then it could turn out to be something good.

Has anyone else tried it on here yet?
    danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By danielkempster

There are already a few Chrome-related threads on the forums. I'd recommend checking those out rather than starting another thread. Here's one.

yorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By yorro
    dankempster said:
    "There are already a few Chrome-related threads on the forums. I'd recommend checking those out rather than starting another thread. Here's one."
    What this guy said.
    DeadlyPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By DeadlyPain

just looked at the video demos for it - it looks very sleek and the homepage looks very handy - shows most active website - displays bookmarks for easy clicking and the like
    the downloading of files is also a great idea

i'll personally wait till after the beta stage though.

_blank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By _blank

ill probably check it out later. I do all my browsing basic stuff on my mac, so its not supported yet. The features are pretty old stuff though, firefox has "incognito" also, its just get the addon called stealther

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6  Edited By twenty0ne
    DeadlyPain said:
    "just looked at the video demos for it - it looks very sleek and the homepage looks very handy - shows most active website - displays bookmarks for easy clicking and the like
    the downloading of files is also a great idea

i'll personally wait till after the beta stage though."
    Same here. I don't want to have to worry about the bugs or security flaws.
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By xruntime

I switched back to Firefox yesterday. Google Chrome locks up way too much, particularly on pages with flash.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By xplodedd

its a narrowed down version of firefox, and it locks up as the other dude before me said.
    but, google has been very good in the past in fixing things, so maybe they'll fix it well here
    too. well see...
    but right now its a pretty bad browser.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By crunchUK

google chrome? i can has link?

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By AaronBelfast
    crunchUK said:
    "google chrome? i can has link?"
    Link

It would've been easier searching on Google. You know seeing as Google own Google Chrome.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By crunchUK

no i'm afraid i'm too lazy even for that :P

Carlos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Carlos

Im actually using chrome now since firefox 3 started crashing way too much on my computer plus it was hugging way too many resources

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By twenty0ne

I tried it, and it doesn't work well with Gamespot, so I uninstalled it.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By crunchUK

well i just got google chrome - it's neat

pure_guava_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pure_guava_76

Chrome is great so far. Just make sure you disable the anon usage stats like everything you use from Google. :)

The process list has been a life saver so many times, it is by far THE best feature next to the easily searchable omni-bar. If you are one of those folks like me who types fast, always using the URL bar rather than bookmarks, then this is YOUR browser by far. The bar is great in this, in that it parses your history perfectly, and also lists lots of great searches from Google (or whatever search engine you prefer) of sites you may not have been to yet.

If you are having probs viewing sites w/ it, try opening up an "Icognito" window. Incognito window won't log your visits in history, but thats not all it does. It also lets keeps whatever site from identifying your browser. Some sites will block you or won't load properly if it doesn't detect IE or FF, this will "force load" most sites and to my suprises, does a good job.

Still doesn't work with gametrailers for me, though. Anyone got a fix?

pure
    xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By xymox

Replaced firefox with chrome about 2 days ago to try it out as a default browser and see how that goes. 

So far it's been nice. What I like about chrome is that I can have my 100 some tabs open and not worry about the browser crashing or everything comming to a halt. I do miss a few things though, like auto spellchecker, autoscrolling, adblock, noscript and mouse gestures... 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.