Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Best point and click adventure pc games??

• 57 results
    lun49gameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lun49gameon

Hello fellow Giantbomb users!! I recently started playing The Longest Journey on my pc. I had the game game in my steam library for about a year without even starting it up because I had been forcing my way through some other games, and also the adventure game genre had not interested me that much. After playing for about an hour I really started to enjoy the story and now I cant wait to finish it and move on to the sequel, dreamfall. Now, I want to dwelve into the realm of point and click adventure games. What other games can satisfy my needs in this perticular genre?? I already know about Myst because when I was younger I discoved a copy of it ,along with the Amazon Trail, at a local goodwill store. Sadly, the game did not work properly on my windows xp machine and I gave it away without knowing that it was a pc game classic. I should say that I am currently 18 years old and I am trying to get help from experienced pc gamers who can guide me into the right path.

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

I sadly can't tell you anything about newer adventure games but ask me anything about Lucasarts or Sierra games. The Monkey Island HD upgrades are super good versions of two of the best adventure games ever made so I would start there. I'm on my phone right now and hate typing on it so I'll just list some of my favorites from that era: King's Quest 6, Space Quest 4 and 5, Laura Bow and the Dagger of Amon Ra (the talkie version is hilarious), Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, I have no mouth and I must scream, Simon the Sorcerer 2.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By amafi

Almost all the old lucasarts ones are great.

Monkey Island 1-3, Sam'n Max hit the road, indiana jones and the fate of atlantis, maniac mansion, day of the tentacle, Full Throttle. All great, and you can play them all through an emulator called ScummVM so no need to mess around with dosbox and stuff, you just point at the files and go.

Another one that has been released as freeware by the developers/publisher and is distributed through good old games is beneath a steel sky. Tonally pretty different from the lucasarts stuff, but good. And you can't really go wrong with free.

I also really enjoyed a lot of the various sherlock holms games, all the way from the old EA ones (the case of the rose tattoo is the better of those two, I think) to the modern frogwares games. The case of the silver earring, the awakened and sherlock holmes vs jack the ripper were all enjoyable. Haven't played the one from last year yet.

Also, Post Mortem and its sequel Still Life by Microids are well worth checking out. I'd skip still life 2 though.

Oh, and check out the Gabriel Knight games too. And if you enjoy really weird shit, play I have no mouth and I must scream. That game is the reason SHODAN is only the second best AI villain in videogames.

Forgotten a ton of stuff obviously, but it's at least somewhere to start.

Damn, can't believe I forgot about broken sword 1 and 2. I'm a terrible person.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played a lot of adventure games, but I have been playing through some older Cryo Interactive games, and they've got a really cool style. The ones I've played are Lost Eden and Dune, both of which are quite cool. So give those a look I guess, and see if they're up your alley.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Grim Fandango was the pinnacle of the genre. Full Throttle is almost as good.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BeachThunder

@jimbo said:

Grim Fandango was the pinnacle of the genre.

Not point and click; which sadly is what made that game a complete turd to me D: It's a pity; given that that the story, characters, setting, and visual style were so wonderful.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

StingerMK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By StingerMK2

while you don't technically "point and click" Grim Fandango is one of the finest games I'v ever player regardless of genre

Gemini Rue was also pretty rad,

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: I believe Grim Fandango was the first PC game that was not a driving, sports or platforming game I played through entirely using a joypad. Pretty sure it was my sick MS Sidewinder Freestyle Pro.

No Caption Provided

Worst d-pad EVER.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hmm adventure games?

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

But seriously there are soo many great point and click adventure games out there^^

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was a big fan of the Syberia games.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

I would highly recommend Broken Sword 1 & 2.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wwfundertaker: Absolutely. You can also get both on gog for $6 each, and both include both the director's cut and the originals. So worth it.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sam n Max: Hit the Road & King's Quest VI

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Monkey Island 1-3, Sam & Max Hit the Road (and pretty much all of the old LucasArts adventure games) Broken Sword 1 & 2 (there's a third one coming shortly), Beneath a Steel Sky, Deponia, Machinarium, Star Trek: Judgement Rites.

Telltales adventure games are pretty good too, particularly Tales of Monkey Island, Strong Bads Cool Game for Attractive People and Sam & Max seasons 1-3. The Back to the Future game is alright, if you're a fan of the movies.

Dangerloves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Of the newer point and clicks Wadjet Eye have put out a decent chunk of throwbacks akin to the Sierra and LucasArts, which most people have already recommended. I really like the Blackwell Series.

Pendulo studios makes 3D point and click games without them becoming homogenised 3rd person games.

Botanicula is probably my favourite non verbal pnc all of time. Amanita also made Machinarium, another decent non verbal pnc.

The Revolution Software is currently working on a new Broken Sword game, so its a good time to get acquainted with George Stobbart (who looks alot like Drew), Nico Collard and the first two Broken Swords games. Later games became 3rd person adventure games. But the new one will be a return to point and click.

You're lucky you've missed out on the FMV PNC games of the 90s. Those were rough.

Spooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spooks said:

I remember good things about Flight of the Amazon Queen

I enjoyed it - particularly the second half of the game. BTW, it's freeware now.

Oh, and so are Beneath a Steel Sky and Dreamweb. I would say both are absolutely worth checking out, especially BASS.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@jimbo said:

Not point and click; which sadly is what made that game a complete turd to me D: It's a pity; given that that the story, characters, setting, and visual style were so wonderful.

You sicken me.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder said:

@jimbo said:

You sicken me.

I stand by my words, although, maybe complete turd is a bit harsh. Overall, I love the game, but I feel upset any time I think about it; to me, the controls hugely brought down the game's quality. It would easily be one of my favourite games of all time if controlling the game didn't feel like a huge slog :(

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Other than the ones already mentioned. Id recommend Legend of Kyrandia, and the sequels are pretty good too

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@beachthunder: It's certainly not my preferred method of control and it is undeniably a shame that they eschewed the standard. Nonetheless, the game's positives significantly outweigh that particular--admittedly glaring--negative. It is my favourite game, but I can understand your grievance. That god-damn forklift puzzle!

Here I'll merely leave a spendthrift list of games I have enjoyed and a list of games that I did not. I apologise for the length.

Yea:

Nay:

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By icicle7x3

Oh, and if you can get your hands on Toonstruck, you're in for a treat.

Loading Video...

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By abendlaender

Since everybody is going to mention the LA stuff:

-Machinarium, Sam&Max Season 1&2, Gemini Rue, Deponia, Harvey and Edna, Harvey's new eyes and Book of Unwritten Tales are pretty good too.

Secret Files Tunguska was also pretty good

Istealdreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Istealdreams

Simon the sorcerer 1&2

Laiv162560asse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Regardless of the other quality of the games in the genre, and the fact that it isn't technically point and click, Grim Fandango is the only thing that comes into my head whenever anyone asks this. Too good.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

nosebleed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By nosebleed

@leinad44 said:

Other than the ones already mentioned. Id recommend Legend of Kyrandia, and the sequels are pretty good too

This. At least the 1st and 3rd are. I never played the 2nd all the way through. Malcolm's Revenge is hilarious.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Teoball

Since many of you are mentioning Book of Unwritten Tales I would also like to say that The Book of Unwritten Tales : The Critter Chronicles is also pretty good. It tells the tale of how Nate and Critter met.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I'd recommend Sanitarium from the late 90s. It's a spooky & amazing game and if it weren't for a few spoilers on the Internet, I'm not sure I would have got through it. Once you understand some of the mechanics it gets easier though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanitarium_%28video_game%29

Another one that was similar to Sanitarium was The Suffering: Ties That Bind that came out in the mid 00s. It's not quite point & click but had some janky 3rd person movement and combat (however most of the combat is puzzlers). I'm not one to get scared but both of these games were pretty spooky & the tension from the music could really make you hustle at certain parts of the game.

But too bad they're old games & not backwards compatible to future platforms.....oh wait, they're on a PC.

Amadyeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^ Sanitarium is a great pick also you could try out ''I have no mouth, and I must scream'' another horror point- and click that is well worth mentioning.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Timequest is really good (and really hard) Eric the Unready is also a lot of fun (and a whole lot easier)...

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Last year's videos for Blade Runner ended up with my nostalgia becoming so rampant that I had to shut off the video and dig up my old CDs. Takes some hassle getting it going at first, but I was amazed that I'd replayed this game a bunch of times in the late 90s and still ended up seeing things I'd never seen before on this playthrough. Really something.

danbuske

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dreamfall has a horrible clumsy interface. Not worth playing.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CABBAGES

The first 2 broken sword games are great and Discworld 1 and 2

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I'm going to agree with damn near everything everybody said, and add this - if you're not down with Willy Beamish, you're no friend of mine!

donfonzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The first three games that come to mind are Day Of The Tentacle, Monkey Island 3 and Full Throttle.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I'll list a couple I think are good from recent years because most people know about the old classics... Isn't a big list though.....

Dracula Origins

A Vampyre Story (best recent one I've played)

A New Begining

Deponia

Gray Matter

Jack Keane

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was a big fan of the Syberia games.

This is the right answer.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pointing and clicking is bullshit, text parsers are where it's at. Gimme dat Zork.

Rewen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Ben & Dan games: Ben There, Dan That! and Time Gentlemen, Please!

I can't believe they haven't been mentioned in this thread yet. Two of the funniest games I've ever played... but don't trust me, trust Justin McElroy.

Oh, and did I mention that the double pack with both games is currently 90% off on Steam during the Summer Sale? Buy it, play it, thank me later.

byrjun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Quest For Glory / Hero's Quest series is incredible.
    The old EGA-art style of the first two games is to me very beautiful, although I'm probably affected by nostalgia. These first two games have had VGA remakes, the first game by Sierra themselves, and the second game by indie/internet enthusiasts AGD Interactive, free to download here: http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/homepage/homepage.html

It was one of the first games to first of all blend point-and-click adventure with RPG, and at that also having a persistent character all through the five games of the series.

Original EGA

Loading Video...

VGA-Remake

Loading Video...

Avatar image for monstersarehere
    monstersarehere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By monstersarehere

A lot of games I adored back then, I can no longer stand to play. A few notable exceptions that I replayed in the last couple of years:

Longest Journey

It simply is magical. One of the last truly great adventures.

Black Dahlia

No Caption Provided

Amazing story but it is a really tough adventure game. You will need a solution handy.

Beneath a Steel Sky

It is surprisingly addictive. For some reason whenever I play this game I become hooked. It is also free on GoG!

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/beneath_a_steel_sky

Other games I absolutely loved back then:

• Gabriel Knight series
    • Tex Murphy series
    • Monkey Island 1-2
    • Indiana Jones 4
    • Quest for Glory series
    • many more

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monstersarehere: No great adventure games have been created in the last 13 years?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.