Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Anybody Have Experience Using PS2 Controllers On PC?

bulletstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Hey all,

I recently flew a Playstation 2 fight stick from my hometown to my new town. The TSA scanned it and everything "wow that's a big-ass joystick" (it is). Was very excited to plug that in to a PS2 to USB converter and have it magically work on my PC (Windows 10) but no luck.

I started with x360ce which I thought would map my fight stick to a 360 controller, but it labeled my controller a Playstation(R) 3 controller, and detected 13 buttons, of which, only button 13 seemed to work. Then I paid $10 for xpadder, hoping that would better recognize the fight stick, but that too only seemed to recognize "button 13" which I think is constantly firing.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm not on a budget, so worse case scenario I buy a PC fight stick, I just thought it'd be great to work with the one I've had for 10+ years now. If I can add anything else, I'm suspicious that x360ce making my PS2 fightstick read as a PS3 controller might be causing an issue but it's just a hunch.

Anyways, hopefully someone here has some answers! Thanks! Peace! <3

Viqor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Viqor

Brook Accessories makes a PS2 to PS3/PS4 converter that also advertises support for the PC. I haven't used this exact converter, but I regularly use their XBOX One to PS4 and PS3 to PS4 adapters and they work Flawlessly. Seems to go for about $30 USD.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mikewhy

With just the controller plugged in and nothing else running, does it appear in the native "Game Controllers" panel in Windows?

If it does, you may be able to use XOutput: https://github.com/stents-/XOutput/releases

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Tagging...never had any luck with this. Probably better off just buying a new one, but if you get it working well please update~

bulletstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikewhy: I'll give this a go after work. It appears as Playstation(R)3, but I think that's because x360ce scanned for controllers and downloaded a profile it thought matched my fightstick.

bulletstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quick update / recap.

No Caption Provided

I removed the Playstation(R)3 device from my computer, unplugged the controller, plugged it back in, and Windows 10 does "setting up your device... installing Playstation(R)3." In controller calibration, button 13 is constantly flashing, and no other buttons light up when I press them. Again, this is a PS2 fight stick, I feel like Windows is installing the wrong device. This is a 10 button & joystick device.

nkcyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By nkcyborg

@bulletstorm: Hi, I'm from 4 years in the future. If by any chance you're reading this, I'm having the exact same issue with a ps2 fight stick and an adapter. Did you ever find a solution?

Edit: don't know about op but I was having the exact same issue and ended up buying a MAYFLASH Universal Adapter and that worked just fine, so the $3 ebay adapter clearly just wasn't up to snuff.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Okay, I think you should watch this video and then look up this software to see if it supports you games and you controller.

What I think it does, is you map you fight stick to what the PC will recognize, so it is as if your fight stick WERE a joypad it does know. So in effect you are making the pc THINK it has a XB360 controller plugged in. There will be some setup to do, but this MIGHT work. So you still use the USB dongle to connect to the PC, but you use the software to have the fight stick appear as a XB 360 joypad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.