Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Overwatch

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released May 23, 2016

A sci-fi multiplayer first-person shooter from Blizzard, in which players can choose from a wide range of Heroes with unique weapons and abilities. It was later discontinued in 2022 for the free-to-play sequel.

Ending My Overwatch Hiatus - Is This Thing On?

Avatar image for deactivated-6503075ac6c03
    deactivated-6503075ac6c03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

A camera turned at a strange angle blinks to life, and a familiar banana-munching simian jumps into frame.

"Is this thing on?"

Indeed it is Winston. I can understand your confusion. I believe the last time I booted Overwatch was when Doomfist was released in late July of 2017. I jumped into the training area, boosted around with my rocket fist for long enough to get a feel for the character, jumped into a quickplay game, and was promptly demolished.

“Well,” I thought to myself, “the meta has taken over. There is nothing else I can do as a random loner joining into a match. I just have to hope my team is relatively competent and pick one of the correct ‘Core Heroes’ to get the win.”

So I resign to playing Lucio…again…and run around firing my shots into the dark corners of the map, trying to stop flanking. I circle strafe my teammates...800 times. I finish the match. We win. I feel no sense of accomplishment. I turn the game off. 9 months pass.

There is some buzz around the newest hero, Brigitte, from some of the guys at work. I decide to give her a try for a few rounds in the new Deathmatch mode that is constantly available via the Arcade.

"I'll just jump in for a match to feel her out so I can at least contribute to the conversation." Already attempting to write the experience off if I'm met with frustration.

For the first time in a long time, I CRUSH the opposition.

"It's the Goddamn Wild-West out there right now man!" I exclaim excitedly to my roommate. "The only time Overwatch is fun, is for those first few weeks when folks haven't yet figured out the nuts and bolts of a new character. I am having a blast right now."

This excitement carries on to a later conversation with my Fiancé. We recently decided to buy her a PS4. She doesn't have an intense interest in playing games on her own, but she likes to play games with me, and likes to have the option to give a game a try if I tell her I really enjoyed it.

Ever the practical couple, we decide that at this point these consoles have become the all in one home entertainment system. We would be crazy not to do it! So 300 bucks and one Black Friday later, she has her very own PS4 slim. We are in a long distance relationship, so the party system becomes a great way for her to catch up on her binge watching through the various on demand subscriptions we have, and I can play whatever my flavor of the week is. All the while we can talk to each other as if we were in the same room.

I have no expectations for her to want to play a shooter, especially not a competitive shooter at the level you sometimes slip into with Overwatch. Then I remember that Custom games are an option now through a previous update. So, I tell her if she wants to get the game (before I realized turning her PS4 to the primary PS4 would allow her to play ALL my games with me. I never claim to be a clever man) I would love to play with her and see how she likes it.

We boot the game up and join into a custom game. I set a few easy bots to oppose us and grab Mercy to keep her in tip top shape so that she can get a feel for the game. We are all set for her introduction. I wait to hear the complaints she has had in the past about other shooters:

• All I do is die over and over again
    • I feel like they are more powerful than me
    • I suck at this

I'm ready with my affirmations: Don't worry about it, we are just having a good time. I don't care if you win or lose, it's about us spending time. If you don't enjoy it we don't have to play.

However, I am instead met with sheer glee at the close of the first match.

"Babe! I got 24 kills!" she exclaims excitedly. "I killed more guys than you!!"

Then, exactly what I hoped would happen, happened. She gets play of the game. Pharah spins up on the screen and it zooms in. Her PSN name pops across the screen. "Babe, that's me!!"

"I know you were blowing people up it was awesome." As I say this the AI characters gather in a pile and Pharah cuts loose. Missiles fire in a barrage in front of her and she demolishes their entire team. "Oh shit I didn't see you do that! That was amazing!" I say through laughter.

"Yeah, I'm Badass!"

We play 3-4 more matches and it's the same thing. She is constantly rewarded and given feedback on all of the awesome things she did in the game. There isn't a negative statistic to be seen. Yes we are playing a 3v3 game with easy bots, but for the first time in a long time, I am rotating through characters. I am testing to see who combines best with whom. How can I assist her while still playing an offensive hero. The mechanics and gameplay all come together the way they did when I first started playing the game and I remember how stellar that experience was when I first played the game at launch.

I realized that Overwatch hadn't gotten worse, I had tried to put it into a box that it never really fit. She helped me realize Overwatch wasn't ever about the competitive aspect for me. I think for a long time, that is the only thing I cared about because it's the general progression of "a shooter". Figure out the mechanics, find your rhythm, and start trying to be the best. I'm not even a competitive person, but as a gamer I think I fall into a cycle of playing a game the "right" way. Jumping in and slogging through arcade match after arcade match to try to get my 3 loot boxes before time expired. Always going in looking for a win and not enjoying the interactions between the heroes that made me love the game so much in the first place.

I have now gone back to happily peppering in Overwatch matches to my regular game cycle. Our gaming circle has talked about starting our weekly Overwatch night back up, and I am excited again. So, I apologize Winston. This thing is on, and I think it will continue to be on as long as Blizzard keeps cranking out new and interesting ways to play this fantastic game.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By big_denim

So I bought Overwatch at launch and returned it within 48 hours feeling like it just wasn't my thing.

Then one night I got drunk one night with a friend that's been super into it since launch. Well of course, 6 or so beers later, I bought it thinking 'alright, clearly there's something here if all my friends love it so much.'

That was 6 months ago, and it's my default game of choice still.

But like you, what's really helped, was my wife getting into it. It's been so fun to finally see her not only enjoy but even excel at an FPS (and a competitive online one at that)!

Any who, glad you're liking it. Unfortunately we can't do a couples group up since PC is our platform of choice, but good luck and remember - 'heroes never die'!!

Edit:. Have you tried the other heroes you may have missed out on since launch, by the way? Moira is a force to be reckoned with and I highly recommend you give her a shot in a close quarters map.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I keep telling myself I'm going to break away from Overwatch at the end of every season, yet here I am 600 hours later.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_denim: Moira is my new go to. I LOVED Brigette's playstyle, but my roommate did too haha. So as he was trying her out after I convinced him to pop back online with me, I started playing with Moira. She is my absolute favorite of the new heroes. I don't have to have super precise aim AND I get to heal and BAMF around like NightCrawler. Love her. He and I have been running the 3v3 with him on B and me on Moira. Heal-tastic.

@frodobaggins: It deserves every bit. I have a terrible backlog to get through, but always find the time to hop on. Meanwhile AC:Origins, The Evil Within 2 and FarCry 5 weep to me and my wallet weeps back.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@cussmustard: Moira is so damn fun. I'm always surprised when no one picks her at the start of a match and I get to play her guilt-free. Like, do they not know??

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@dudeglove: Speaking of Zenyatta, I love how different the game can play based on your character selection. Zenyatta is maybe the most apparent to me because he’s meant to be played from the backfield, watching and influencing the fight through orbs (along with some decent sniping).

Playing back with Zenyatta, Overwatch feels like a completely different game.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@spunkyhepanda: Agreed. Moira is great, plus she has a David Bowie skin.

I think Overwatch’s characters are just an embarassment of riches. With only six players per team and a roster of...what, 30 characters or something, it’s more a matter of who to pick this time than getting stuck with someone.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cussmustard: Moira is so damn fun. I'm always surprised when no one picks her at the start of a match and I get to play her guilt-free. Like, do they not know??

I KNOW! You can place her in almost ANY combat situation and she adds value. Much like David Bowie @nutter

@dudeglove Agreed. I still hear new voice lines in combat after all the time I spent with the game during it's original release. It's such an interesting world building tool that works way better than it should. Again, much like David Bowie.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.