Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising is a direct sequel to 2001's hit combat simulation game Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis and the expansion pack Operation Flashpoint: Resistance.

Time Limits in Op Flashpoint

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By diz

I'm getting annoyed at the time limits for mission completion in this game. I thought it was a military sim, rather than a checkpoint race. 

I've run out of time in missions 1 (supposedly the tutorial!) and 2. For me at the moment, mission no 2 seems uncompletable, no matter how fast  stealth-run. The guide book is awful too, giving only the wooliest account of missions and scantest regard to tactics. 

Does anyone know if there are time limits in the other missions too, or has anyone else been bugged by this? 

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

I... don't recall any time limits. Of any kind. I actually completed the first mission for an entire half hour by dragging it on.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By diz

Did you try flying the helicopter around the Island (bonus achievement) and do all the other objectives (destroy 3 sam sites)?

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

I only destroyed all sam sites. I don't have achievements because I have the PC version.

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By CABBAGES

i havent noticed any time limits either. Maybe just dont go for the bonus achievements and play through it then by that time you will be better and can go back and get the bonus achievements.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jimbo

Which part of mission 2 are you having trouble with?

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pweidman

There wasn't a time limit on the first mission, I ran all over the island destroying the sams and the sundance(or whatever its called)missles.  However there are time limits on the 2nd mission, towards the end if I remember correctly, and the 4th has a timed objective to do with the airport.  At least that one is plausible.  I totally agree they're annoying and take you out of the immersion and fun of the methodical, stealthy, hunter style of gameplay that makes this game so satisfying.  

But for all that is good, Codies please patch up the idiodic AI...it is atrocious and CM even bragged b4 release about how good they made it....it's pretty bad actually, enemy, and friendly especially.  That and the mp servers are pretty much broken.  Here's to this stuff being addressed soon.
    diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By diz

I've done it now. I was having trouble with a time limit on destroying the radar base. I eventually did it by skipping the farmhouse (and missing the bonus officer "kill" there. If you trigger some checkpoint around there, you get given 5 minutes before an allied helicopter attack., which means 5 minutes of running 1 km under enemy fire from all sides to destroy the radar. 5 minutes was never enough for me, hence the time limit. 

I have to say mission 3 went much better though. Esecially having use of an assault vehicle's gun to fend off enemy attacks. 

Anyone tried coop yet?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @diz: I haven't played the game (yet), but it seems like it would be more realistic to be moving quickly from point to point in a warzone. You wouldn't want to stay in the same place for very long, that's how you get killed.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Jimbo

I don't mind how they've tried to add a sense of urgency in a couple of missions, it doesn't seem out of place and they don't seem too punishing.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @diz said:
    " I'm getting annoyed at the time limits for mission completion in this game. I thought it was a military sim, rather than a checkpoint race. 

I've run out of time in missions 1 (supposedly the tutorial!) and 2. For me at the moment, mission no 2 seems uncompletable, no matter how fast  stealth-run. The guide book is awful too, giving only the wooliest account of missions and scantest regard to tactics.  Does anyone know if there are time limits in the other missions too, or has anyone else been bugged by this?  "
    In some cases, a time limit *is* realistic.  You definitely want to press on as quickly as possible--there is a war going on, beyond your squad, platoon, etc.  In turn based strategy war games, you are often somehow limited by the total number of turns.
    diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By diz

You are right about the realistic sense, but: 

In mission 1, on the tiny Island, I had just about killed every single last enemy, (and was trying to fly round the Island in a chopper -in itself, not really that realistic slant on war for the bonus achievement). So I could have made my own way home or pitched camp on the Island, were it not for this arbitrary  limit. 

Mission 2 has you destroying radar, before a heli attack. In reality, as happens elsewhere in the game, the flyboys dont go in until the radar is down. Except they do in this level, so if the rader site isn't down, the attack always fails miserably 5 minutes later.

My point isn't really about realism - its about enjoyment. I think they should have had an "easy" setting for idiots like me, where no-one's bothered about what time it is and all the happenings are event triggered, whenever you can make it.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.