Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Will NX's Feature A Flexible Screen?

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Skinky

What do you think will be NX's primary "hook", what aspect of it's design do you think Nintendo trying to keep under, wraps?. What can start the same sort of wildfire interest akin to the Nintendo Wii?

I highly doubt it's rumoured hybrid nature will be that hook, I think the NX would be destined to fail if it was. Its just not exciting enough, especially for those who have been gaming in this manner already.

I personally think it will be an example of Nintendo problem solving, with new technology.

In the past, both Reggie and Iwata have said something along the lines of, "competing for space in our pockets", some of you may have seen this yourselves?.

For Nintendo, who has thrived in the mobile market in the past, they must surely know that now is the time they must tackle this problem head on with clever design, because the battle for space in our pockets, has never been greater, and that must be very clear to them now. Nintendo need to make their gaming device highly desirable, over what is possible on Smartphones today.

So, what if Nintendo took the battle out of our pockets?. That kind of thinking is typical of Nintendo.

From what I see of the visible patents, and the remotely credible rumours, I see an attempt by Nintendo to make the NX a truly mobile console experience. I also see a big hurdle in achieving this, and its not the controls, which many would naturally assume, but instead the screen. Surface area, is the problem Nintendo face, as far as I can see, it is the only major hurdle Nintendo face.

Flexible screen tech has been around for a good while now, it's come out of it's infancy stage. Next year we will all be seeing numerous devices in Q4 that will feature its use. Its because of this and Nintendo's keen interest in such tech advances, that I totally expect the screen to be both highly durable, flexible and Wearable for multiple gameplay, AR and VR uses. I also expect both sides of the controllers to slot together for portability, and that they can be worn also elsewhere.

Links:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jlIv7FZw73Q

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XO3hzlK6ng0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mV7z08KVARU

Thoughts?

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Skinky

Nintendo NX Flexible Screen

(Rumour)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8LqhVowpqMI

Cannot embed on my phone, sorry.

Could someone please embed the video for me?

SlickRick145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You are setting yourself up for massive disappointment in my opinion.

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Skinky

@slickrick145:

I hear you, but there's alot about the rumours in that video that are just so crazy they could only be the sort of ideas Nintendo could come up with.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I highly doubt it. This isn't exactly consumer technology at this point, and Nintendo isn't a company known for their bleeding-edge technical prowess.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Consolidating Nintendo's development onto one hybrid console is a pretty big deal. It doesn't have to be as huge as the Wii to be profitable and worthwhile for Nintendo fans. Those flexible screens look neat, but I don't see what they bring to gaming or why Nintendo would be interested.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By MezZa

You say having all of nintendo's titles on one hybrid device isn't an exciting hook, but I'd very much disagree. Not having to buy two Nintendo platforms and the ability to have the flexibility on where and how I play my favorite Nintendo games is a huge convenience factor. It also helps reduce the content droughts they experience from largely only having 1st party titles.

When you say flexible and wearable that doesn't say exciting hook to me. That says expensive and unnecessary personally. That technology, if it will ever be useful for gaming, needs to actually find its place as a consumer product first.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The hybrid console idea is very much an exciting hook for some people. Being able to play Nintendo's handheld games on my TV is exactly what I've been wanting for years (especially with the slow releases and somewhat questionable quality of the console game line-up for the last 2 systems).

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Skinky

This video explains some of the hurdles of flexible screen technology, but as it says in the video, one product is due very soon, and that there is a huge market for this, so in turn huge investment going into getting the technology into the market.

Android Authority:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mo6nF-T58PA

@tom_omb:

Did not say it wasn't. In fact I posted about these radical changes before they were announced officially, in the Nintendo forum. Its very exciting, to gamers, just not the masses.

Just highly doubt it would have any effect on kids and parents. Nintendo are a toy company at heart, they want to inspire the imagination, and unification will not do that for the masses.

As I say in the Op, Nintendo have always strived for unparalleled portability, and this would provide it.

Nintendo want their huge Wii audience back, and its concepts like this which engage the imagination.

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezza:

When you say consumer product, do you mean like the Wii and it's motion controls?. How many VR systems use motion control?

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm questioning if this thing even has a touch screen...there was no evidence on that video that it actually does....

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@slickrick145 said:

You are setting yourself up for massive disappointment in my opinion.

No Caption Provided

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the Switch has a flexible screen or some other gimmicky hook, I've zero interest in it. Having a console that you can pick up and go anywhere with sounds genuinely useful as long as the execution is solid.

The Wii was a terrible system. The fact that it sold tonnes of units to an unstable market that didn't stick around isn't a point to be made in support of it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.