Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

The Switch uses friend codes. Because in 2017 we still have no idea how to easily connect people online.

EricSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Source.

So now it makes even more sense why Nintendo has been dodging every question asked about their online services. Between not having the Virtual Console at launch, no worthwhile multiplayer service for months (if ever, we still don't know how it will work), and now friend codes making their triumphant return, clearly they didn't want the bad publicity over the last couple months. So it begs the question: Why do it this way at all?

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After what Reggie said I'll wait for more info about this.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
    citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I mean their line has always been that friend codes are in place to protect children playing online. From Nintendo's own website:

"We encourage you to instruct your children never to give out their Friend Codes to strangers, nor to post them on Internet forums."

EricSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizencoffeecake: And it is quite possibly the dumbest statement they make. It makes zero sense.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizencoffeecake: And it is quite possibly the dumbest statement they make. It makes zero sense.

Why not?

I imagine it's more safe than using an email address or a username that might exist elsewhere.

EricSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako: Because friend codes are attached to usernames anyway. And how is a random person online going to find somebody's friend code? Probably by that person telling them your friend code.

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ericsmith:

Eh, this doesn't surprise me. I mean, they're handling Switch matchmaking and lobbies via a 3rd party app on your smart phone. http://nintendotoday.com/switch-app-matchmaking/

Nintendo has always been half-baked when it comes to online functionality. They could learn a lot from Steam, Xbox Live, and PlayStation Store... though with a 32 gig hard drive, I'm not sure how well they'd be able to apply those lessons even if they did learn them. *shrug*

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By forteexe21

DeNA totally made the online infrastructure.

@ericsmith: I think they only show the nickname and not the user id that you use to login. At least, they should if they are going this route.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

You don't have to swap froend codes, just one person needs to know the other person's. Effectively, it's the same as one person searching for the other like on any console, but you need proof you know the other person by using a code.

The difference between this and a username is someone can't instantly find you from a multiplayer game when they see your username. As someone who's been on the recieving end if harrassment because I played poorly in multiplayer match, I like them keeping it separate.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.