Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

The Price is Right: Switch

• 80 results
    VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Poll The Price is Right: Switch (753 votes)

$300 39%
    $350 33%
    $400 19%
    MORE? 3%
    Not listed. 6%

Name that price! I want to see if the Giant Bomb community can guess that price for a chance to win the ultimate prize package.

Bonus Coloring Book Page!!!!

No Caption Provided

• 
    Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Before too many people vote remember that Price is Right rules are as close to retail price without going over. ;)

Uppercaseccc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

$350 seems right.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

"$1 Bob."

But seriously, I expect the base console to be $250-300, but it won't come with a lot of the accessories shown. The docking station, pro controller, and the Joy-Con controller will probably be sold extra or as part of a $400 bundle. Also, I would guess that storage will be handled by an SD card (or some variant), and to get decent storage you will need to pay extra.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By mellotronrules

i'm sayin the screen and a joy-con for a hot $300.

maybe throw in a dock, pro controller and battery pack for an extra $100 with a 'switch premium' package ($400).

Uppercaseccc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darth_navster: @mellotronrules: the idea there will be no dock in an initially launch docent makes scene for what there trying to do with there system right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think that "dock" was more than just a charging station and it's silly to think they'll sell it without one.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By UlquioKani

$250 at the most for whatever the base model is. I'm basing that on the size of the device and Nintendo's audience. For that price and assuming it can play Wii U games, I'll probably pick it up.

Probably being a little optimistic though.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gnomeonfire: im inclined to agree, though it would make it simpler for devs to have just one spec to shoot for.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The price is wrong, Switch.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gnomeonfire: @uppercaseccc: But I never said that the docking station wouldn't be there at launch. All I'm saying is Nintendo will likely have their cheapest SKU be just the unit itself. This will appeal to the segment of their audience who are only interested in portable gaming. A second, more complete SKU with a docking station will also be offered for people who want to play at home.

Also, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "they're trying to do with they're system right now". From the video, it seems that the Switch is just as capable without the dock as it is with it. I can't imagine they'll have extra processing power in the dock. It would add unnecessary complication to the design and would feel very unlike Nintendo.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darth_navster: The name of the console is derived from being able to switch between playing mobile and playing console. The dock looks necessary for console play. To release a version incapable of doing both would be up ending the core marketing message.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

$249 for Console/controller barebones with whatever pack in game Nintendo can come up with, Bob.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kcin

I'd be very surprised if this console sold without the dock. The entire premise of the console is modularity, and to position one viewing/playing method as an optional mode rather than a necessity is to doom that option, as things like the Kinect, Move, Playstation Eye, etc. have proven.

beanswater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Selling without the dock sounds like it would make sense to cut costs but I bet that thing is just a fancy HDMI adapter with charging. Even with a fancy shape it would cost next to nothing to make but kind of defines what the console is.

Definitely a game changer though if it somehow does more (extra processing?) so that it CAN be cut out. Imagine the gamepad alone costing $200 barebones with just the removable controllers then the dock for $50, or of course a kit for $250. Makes for three options but you get the absolute lowest cost to get in.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gnomeonfire: You make a good point about the branding, but I think that the pull of the market's demands will compel Nintendo to offer a base SKU without a dock. My reasoning for this is that Nintendo has a large fanbase of children who almost exclusively play on the 3DS or tablets. They likely won't have the purchasing power to buy a $400 console, and for many of them the idea of being tied to a TV and couch is unappealing. For them, I suspect a base model would be all that they need.

Of course, this is all idle speculation!

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$399... For the basic Switch console and a Joy-Con controller.

If you want to play it on your TV, the docking station will be sold separately for $149. The Joy-Con Grip, the central block for both Joy-Con halves, will be $30, doubling as a battery pack / charger for the Joy-Con controller. The Pro controller will retail at $60, and replacement Joy-Cons (because you will inevitably lose one half or accidentally swallow one) will go for $50, which will get you both halves (you can't buy just the left or right half separately).

I hope I'm wrong.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

@gaff: I have to imagine that for the first few months you'll have to buy them together as that is the main feature of the console. Only after 8 - 12 months will they sell them as separate products. Depends on what is in that docking station though

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$249

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I mean, it's a $200 console, right? Ninty don't go expensive with displays, or silicon, or ergonomics.

It's an nVidia tablet SoC updated to Pascal (256-512 CUDA cores, depending how much Ninty were prepared to pay for the SoC - more cores clock lower to get better power efficiency but I wouldn't be shocked for Ninty to pay badly and get a smaller SoC out of it), clock up when attached to a TV to hit enough perf for a 1080p output but be quite happy not to get much past a 720p30 system on the go.

That's how you build it power-efficient enough to get it to play games for 6 hours when you're not allowed to much much more power than the video decoder out of a standard tablet.

Look forward to finding out more details but it seemed like they were revealing a $200 tablet with accessories and TV dock in their videos. And nVidia have been spending a lot of time getting their low end and mobile focused small chips to be totally fine with GTA V or Skyrim with 2K textures.

We're talking about something fast enough to eclipse a Wii U but that's a 0.35TF GPU (aka duct tape 12 together and you're playing with the PS4 Pro) so we're looking at nVidia showing off a 2014 GeForce GT 710 as the ballpark they need to craft into an efficient mobile GPU. We've got the Nexus 9 and Shield Tablet showing an old design hitting 0.3TF in a tablet form factor. The newer SoC in the Shield Android TV and Pixel C is 0.5TF.

This is tech from 2014 that cost $299 at the time including the tablet. We've got to be expecting that for battery life reasons that this can't be going after an actual XB1 (1.x TF) so they build it wide, clock it low and spend a bit more on the chip than it would otherwise cost to get peak efficiency but that's still not really making a massive price hike over these old Tegra tablets. Nice shunk die from the 14nm process, Pascal efficiency gains. But it's a $200 tablet in early 2017, right?

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat: If I was an optimistic man, I would say that the docking station would act as external storage for the base unit and where legacy controllers (like the Wiimote and potentially the Gamepad?) can connect to, which would be useful when the Virtual Console would make the jump to include Wii and a select few Wii U titles.

Honestly though? The Switch docking station will just have a HDMI connector, audio connector, a single USB port (to connect an external drive to it). However, it will still be released in "the launch window" of the base unit, because it makes more sense to position it as a successor to the 3DS first, and the Wii U second.

Again, I hope I'm wrong.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mellotronrules

@uppercaseccc: @gnomeonfire: i think you're right that the dock is a key piece of the overall strategy, but i can't believe there's anything in there beyond a proprietary audio/video pass-thru and charging. the general message of the trailer/teaser seems to be "this thing adapts to fit into your life." if there is actual game-processing guts inside that dock- that seems like a surefire way to ensure the game-playing experience is inconsistent across use cases, and antithetical to the (admittedly speculative) marketing message.

but until we learn more, it's anyone's guess.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Shivoa

$200 Tegra tablet with a 1200p IPS panel.

Updated SoC (that's not even current die-shrink and Pascal efficiency levels) moving from .035 TF to 0.5 TF (third of an XB1), partially thanks to being docked/powered in the TV form-factor. [Worth saying that nVidia may be... somewhat optimistic in their peak GPU perf numbers vs typical sustained loads that don't eat batteries and melt tablets vs the console TF figures - but these are all pretty old SoC designs.]

This isn't what Ninty are selling but this is the sort of stuff nVidia were already playing with in recent years and didn't end up selling great without a reputable brand behind it. If we're looking for how cheap Ninty could make and sell this new system, there's no doubt they could do perfectly fine with a $200 system (especially if the only included accessories outside of the tablet are the controller sides, docking station, and the empty cradle for the controller sides so it slides into a controller shape without the tablet in there for TV use - sell everything else as accessories from the tiny controllers to the Pro options).

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

This thing is essentially an Nvidia Shield, and those things retail for around 200 bucks. I think Nintendo can get away with charging 300 dollars for the Switch.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd pay $350 day 1 for it without really second guessing the choice. Put it up to $400 however and I'll have to decide if I really want it right away or not.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks great, but considering the hardware in it, I wouldn't pay anything more than 300 for it. Wouldnt be surprised if they priced it at 350 though.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

I laughed way too much at that. XD

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

200$ It is just a tegra tablet.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Well great, I've covered my laptop screen in crayon, I hope your happy.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have your pets spayed and neutered.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm thinking $299 without the pro controller. Maybe $249, since they aren't looking to compete with PS4/XBONE.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm guessing 300 but hoping 200. I've not had a Nintendo console since the Gamecube and I sold that after only a year but I might get one to play with my daughter since the Nintento games are good for someone young.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to guess it is going to go around $350 though. That just seems like a good price and to be honest... I'd still get one for that amount. I haven't had a Nintendo console since the Gamecube. I love the 3DS, but I feel the itch for some console quality Nintendo games and since I don't own a WiiU, this seems like the perfect opportunity to jump in. Here's hoping they have some sort of backwards compatibility, because I'm dying to play Bayonetta 2 finally.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$200 or bust

If it's truly going to be their new entry into the mobile market as well as the home market I think anything more will kill that machine. Especially as it probably wont be the all encompassing multimedia device the others are.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

€350 if they even hope to be competitive.

Also: I tried my best, but it came out kinda weird.
    Also: I tried my best, but it came out kinda weird.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm guessing $350, although maybe $300. A dock-less model at $250 (if possible) is about as optimistic I'd get about price.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

No $1 option? You discredit your title!

discomposure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll go with $350
    I think it'll be just under £300 here with a game bundled

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it is more than $250, it will die at retail by summertime.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$350 seems like like the right price for this.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't be surprised if it was $399 to prop themselves up with PS4 and Xbox One. Make themselves look like one of the big boys?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@theht said:

No Caption Provided

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By Hunter5024

My primary concern is that this system won't be very powerful if most of the guts are in that tablet thing. So I'm kind of hoping it will be at least 300, just to make sure it has some decent parts in it, I'd be totally fine with a 400 dollar price point.

Avatar image for deactivated-59ecb0f733056
    deactivated-59ecb0f733056

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be shocked if it wasnt at least $350+, and I'm confident it will be $400. And I'm curious what game they will decide to package with the system. They showed a lot of footage of Skyrim, so I'll go with that.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eroq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Eroq

I'm guessing $299 for the tablet, $399 for a bundle with the dock (assuming they offer the handheld unit separately).

Dhutch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ITT: people who don't understand console business, or simply saying what they *want* it to sell for.

$300 is the *lowest* this will come out at, but $349 is more likely. It being the home option AND the mobile option gives Nintendo an excuse to sell it at a full price, and Nintendo hardly ever sells consoles at a loss.

Release SKU will have console, dock, joycon. If they decide to push a SKU with parts removed, it will be after, though maybe not by long.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.