Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

So I just bought a Switch and...

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

...it feels kinda like some Fisher-Price toy bullshit.

I just got the Smash Switch bundle with the cool artwork (which is really cool) on the dock (but not the actual console, wtf Nintendo?), and this the first time I've actually seen or held a Switch in person. Holy shit does it feel flimsy and toy-like.

The dock is light and plasticy, and the joy cons and console are really fiddly. The buttons you press to unlock the joy cons from the console are awkward, and I feel like a I'm hitting a bunch of buttons every time I take one off, while the locking 'click' you get when you slide them on seems to happen late; like you push them on, and then a bit further before they lock. On the console itself I straight up broke the kickstand off when I tried to open it the first time. I got it back on, but fuck is that a cheap bit of plastic. Meanwhile when I put the console in the dock, it goes in, but it kinda just 'sits'. Not nice firm lock-in for the console it seems.

Gonna pick up Zelda tomorrow, but on the whole currently pretty disappointed with the console, at least physically. The Smash art on it is actually really cool though, I'll give Nintendo that.

Considering getting a pro-controller, but they're pretty expensive for what they are in my opinion. Also, is the 'dock-scratching-the-screen' thing still an issue? Should I get a screen protector?

Final complaint; how does this thing not come with a carry-case? I feel like Nintendo cut every budgetary corner they could on this thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I have some pretty harsh opinions on the design short comings of the Switch but I never felt like it felt cheap or flimsy while in handheld mode - like the feel of it sitting in both your hands. I agree with most your other points though. My main issues are I think the layout on the right joycon sucks, the screen brightness it awful, bad battery life, no proper d-pad, memory. I have a launch Switch and never experienced the screen scratching fwiw. I'm glad I got a pro controller for tv play cuz you wanna talk about cheap and bad feeling well just try those joycons on the controller frame thing; absolute trash. BOTW is one of my favorite games of all time though and I would buy the console all over again if I got to play that game for the first time again.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Wow. I feel the Switch is an absolutely wonderful piece of hardware.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a hardback case for mine. Much more comfortable for longer play sessions (haven't docked mine once)

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah the dock totally is crap and the kickstand might as well be non existent. And i am not a fan of the standard controller docked or in handheld, But it's probably the right size for kids, instead of adult male hands :D. And i refuse to buy there expensive "Pro Controller" cause i am a idiot.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was expecting to be blown away by it, but I wasn't.

I wouldn't go as far as saying 'it sucks' because it's still a pretty cool thing and it appeals to a massive section of the gaming audience. However, it's not for me and I will never buy one.

I was the same with the DS. I bought one and was hugely disappointed. There's very little for me on Nintendo in general. They're fine if you're a child or into Japanese bullshit. I'm neither.

If I want to play video games on the toilet, Android is my jam.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nicksmi56

When was the last time a handheld came with a carrying case bundled in? I honestly can't remember.

Anyway can't say I relate to any of the complaints here besides the kickstand (though I've never outright snapped it off, what the heck were you doing to it). As someone who's owned every Nintendo handheld since the original GBA, the Switch is an awesome piece of hardware that I've been very impressed with ever since I got it.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The kickstand is designed to come off easily to prevent snappage

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Tom_omb

I use an old sock as a carrying case. I honestly never had much of an issue with the controls of the switch, even the face buttons instead of a dpad is functional enough for me. My biggest complaint is that they ditched the stylus. If you find you can't adjust, maybe a pro controller is for you.

Why would you want it to snap into the dock? I find it has a satisfying rest position it sockets into. If it locked in, it would be a pain to get out.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

As someone with two boys who kid-handle it all the time, the switch is definitely not flimsy. But the joy cons do leave something to be desired for an adult. I recommend the pro controller.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@inkerman: Maybe it's years of owning touchscreen phones talking, but I would never own a mobile-use device with a prominent screen without also buying a screen protector for it.

Also, I think the Pro Controller is wonderful and more than justifies its cost. But financial discussions like this are always tricky and subjective, so your mileage might vary.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would argue about this, but I unintentionally hulked out and cracked the back of mine while trying to reattach a metal kickstand. Lol. Now I'm seeing if there's any aluminum replacement housings or at least maybe go for a sweet translucent purple one. I blame the third party stand though (mostly).

I would say the Pro Controller is the most solid controller I've ever used, even besting the xbox onee elite. It feels like it could give a right bludgeoning to someone if you needed to defend yourself.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By nutter

I’ve never been a huge fan of Nintendo hardware or software, but for as much as their consoles feel like toys...they last.

Avatar image for drgirlfriendexp
    drgirlfriendexp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love my Switch, but hate the Joycons. I also did not want to spend $70usd on the pro controller as the D pad on it is notoriously terrible, so I got a $15 8Bitdo bluetooth adapter. Now I use my PS4 controller with my Switch and am very happy!

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_greg: I'm neither a child nor into "Japanese bullshit" whatever the fuck that means and I love the Switch.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frodobaggins: It definitely seemed an odd thing to say on a video game website. A few of those games come from Japan, last time I checked.

I was personally blown away by how nice and advanced it felt for a Nintendo console. I still dont care for the buttons on the joycons, but other than that I think it is a really nice system.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

When was the last time a handheld came with a carrying case bundled in? I honestly can't remember.

Anyway can't say I relate to any of the complaints here besides the kickstand (though I've never outright snapped it off, what the heck were you doing to it). As someone who's owned every Nintendo handheld since the original GBA, the Switch is an awesome piece of hardware that I've been very impressed with ever since I got it.

This isn't merely a handheld though, this is a major console with a prominent touch screen. The GameBoys didn't have so sensitive screens, and the DS's closed over the screens to protect them.

I was just opening the stand. I put my fingernail under the edge and pulled backward, after a fair amount of work, it came loose suddenly and I pulled it back too far. The hinge is designed to disengage at that point though, so I didn't break it. Still...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.