Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

New Pokémon Snap coming to Switch

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

NO, FUCK YOU, THIS IS NOT HAPPENING!!!!!!

AMAZING NEWS!!!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yo that Magikarp just got hijacked.

Yo that Wailord is HUGE

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

After hyping up how great of a fit the Switch is to a new Snap game, I'm going to have to buy this day one. Hope they added some new mechanics.

regmcfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

I hyped myself up so hard I burst a hole in my roof.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Not to be a poopy pants, but can someone explain the hype around a sequel to Snap? I'm genuinely curious, as my memories of the OG snap is that it was cool to see Pokemon in 3D for (I think?) the first time, but other than that it was really boring and not engaging or interesting.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#7 FinalDasa  Moderator

@doctordonkey: It's a relaxing, bright, fun game. And the original had a lot of secrets and hidden paths you could unlock.

The combination of a photo-taking game that forces you to repeat courses while simultaneously unlocking new items for new experiences was an enjoyable loop.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Efesell

This is absolutely going to be a monkey's paw situation and that's fine we may all learn together that we never actually wanted another Pokemon Snap.

But right now though? Rad as hell.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks fun! Although, the visuals to me are not too impressive. I also kinda wanted a more free-form version of this so it's a little disappointing to see it on-rails again.

@doctordonkey: Do you like taking pictures in real life? I remember the original being fun in a similar way (although obviously much it's much simpler.) It's just rewarding to line up the perfect shot. There were a lot of secrets and fun, surprising interactions with the Pokemon. It wasn't particularly deep or involved, but it was relaxing and enjoyable.

plinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm super excited and it looks pretty good! One thing I wish I could be excited for is the stupid rumors you heard on the playground as a kid. I remember me and my cousin spending days trying to get MewTwo to appear in the original if you did some ridiculous series of feats. That mystery was always fun but nowadays you can't really have it. Though at this point that's a really generic complaint overall. It's just how the internet is now. It brought up fun memories though!

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctordonkey: Pokemon Snap is not only bright, colorful, and relaxing but it's different from almost every other game out there. It has unique mechanics and a very different set of goals and tools. It was interesting, and it hasn't really been repeated (though there have been a few attempts to do similar things.) In a world where it can seem that every game from a big publisher is some variation of the same 6 games (sports, first or third person shooter, character action, driving, RPG of some sort, open world) it's really cool to see Nintendo offer a polished take on something totally different. That alone is exciting.

Add in nostalgia and Pokemon and this could be really cool.

Of course it's worth noting that the original Pokemon Snap really benefited from being on the N64. That was a system with a pretty thin library, and every release, especially from Nintendo properties, was a big major deal that people would play to death while waiting for the next big release. Summer of 1999 was all about Smash and Snap on that system, so a lot of people have really vivid memories of it.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The tough thing about Snap is that the prevelance of knowledge on the internet will inevitably ruin some of the fun. Going to have to avoid pretty much everything about this game just so I can play it totally blind. Discovering different interactions and puzzling out ways to get photos that you wouldn't normally get is some of the main fun of the game in my opinion.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezza: This is actually an area where the "games as a service" idea could be...good? Nintendo has done a pretty good job of providing fresh content to its games in recent years. Whether that's in the form of paid expansions or free content updates or both. Having them update the islands to add new stuff, or even just add whole new areas over time as part of an expansion pass or (preferably) free updates could allow the game to offer some cool bite sized challenges that people can all explore together before the inevitable spoiling, rather than everything in the game being all over the net within a week of release.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I always thought it was strange that there was no Snap game for the WiiU. The gamepad seemed like a perfect fit for a viewfinder. Then again, I guess you don't want to blow a Pokémon game on a console with an install base of only 14 mil.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezza: I guess but on the other hand I'm pretty sure I had a Nintendo Power for more or less the same results..

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@wollywoo: @bigsocrates: @finaldasa: Ah, I think I get it now. It's like an Animal Crossing/Harvest Moon relaxing after-work kinda game. Back then that was the last thing on my mind, but I can see the appeal now that I'm older.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.