Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Fifty Dollars.

• 74 results
    bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By bemusedchunk

Poll Fifty Dollars. (239 votes)

TOO MUCH!!! 71%
    NOT ENOUGH!!! 28%

MOD EDIT: Long rumored to have a $249 price tag, some are now unhappy about the unveiled $299 price for the Nintendo Switch.

People freaking out about fifty dollars is kinda silly, I think. In the grand scheme of things, fifty dollars is nothing. Maybe it's because I'm in a comfortable position financially, or am at the right age (mid 30's) where that doesn't seem like a big deal.

For those who think that it is a big deal, what is your reasoning? If you are a student or don't have a full-time job, then I totally understand your plight.

I just think this is another case of the internet at large over-reacting.

• 
    Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

What I don't get is that its $469 AUD but $549 NZD yet the NZD is almost at parity with the AUD.

But on the topic of this thread, $50 extra. You have no real reason to complain compared to the prices in Canada, Oz & NZ.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

We are looking at $470AUD here in Aus apparently, when I heard $300 I figured it would be around $450 here from experience.

Its actually not to bad compared to the rude price increases we can get here.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Ello

It's not the price of the system, it's the price of the system+game+peripherals. I was also expecting £220 - £250 to be the amount with a bundled-in game in order to be competitive. As is the console has worked out about £100 more expensive than I expected it to be with the £290 + £60 - £80 game + £5,000 pro controller.

Honestly internally I was like 'this thing will be worth £199 - £250 to me MAX and not a penny more' so when it goes 39,999 pennies over it loses me. Typing this has reminded be how absurd the price tag is for a console without a bundled in game entering mid cycle..... jesus.

quemador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Is not the $50, people are kinda upset because you can get a ps4 for the same price. I personally will get it, but not a launch? why because of extra $50 ? no. The reason you buy a console is for the games, and this machine will launch with only one game worth playing , that you can play in a wii u, i see myself "making the switch" when the mario game comes out.... or even better when the new mario maker comes bundle with the system for $300

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@quemador said:

Is not the $50, people are kinda upset because you can get a ps4 for the same price. I personally will get it, but not a launch? why because of extra $50 ? no. The reason you buy a console is for the games, and this machine will launch with only one game worth playing , that you can play in a wii u, i see myself "making the switch" when the mario game comes out.... or even better when the new mario maker comes bundle with the system for $300

Mario Maker without a touch screen doesn't sound like a good time

Nals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a comfortable enough job. I live in Downtown Seattle and comfortably make 3 times my Rent every month. I'm a happy person.

No.

Comparing footage from Zelda WiiU/Switch doesn't show enough of a difference graphically to justify the jump. This looks about on par with one of the "remasters" we've gotten on PC over the last year or so. Worse yet, a couple people that have handsonned the Switch version have mentioned it's got the same slowdown/frametate issues. A few people have also mentioned that the artstyle is more consistent on the WiiU, ( which makes sense as it was originally designed for those constraints, and only turned into a Switch game when they decided to move it forward. ), and sharpening the detail on things has led to them looking worse in a few cases.

So while I'm going to wait to get a genuine 1:1 video comparison, so far it's looking like the Switch version might not be enough justification to jump over. This could very likely be a repeat of the Gamecube/Wii debates with Twilight Princess.

The Joycons look cheap, and everyone that's used them has said they feel not great/cheap. Add in the severe additional costs just to build the actual system ( charging cables, cradles, etc ) and the price point goes from $300 to $600+. That's not a reasonable price for a Nintendo system with no real launch lineup.

The games lineup is awful. Yeah a new Mario game, we knew that was there ( and it's not even coming out until December! ). A new Mario cart, cool. More Splatoon, though now you have to pay for Nintendo internet, so that'll be dead on arrival. A bunch of gimmick games they are charging $60 for because they are Nintendo. And then what? Xenoblade and Fire Emblem are MIDDLE 2018. And they have nothing else announced past that.

Buying this thing on day one literally gets you Zelda until December when Mario comes out. Unless Splatoon 2 manages to survive the wild world of being forced to pay for Nintendo's internet. Then you get THREE GAMES! Or you could just buy Zelda for the WiiU. When the WiiU came out asking for $300 it was an easy justification because it got me everything attached to the console, plus I got a ton of games in the launch window/first few months. ZombiU, Funky Barn, Wonderful 101, Monster Hunter, Bayonetta was coming soon, Lego City, etc.

Until Nintendo announces more games I have no reason to be buying this thing over my WiiU. And by the time they do, I'll be able to grab a refurbished for $200 again.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So do you guys think they discontinued the wii u so people wouldnt go out and just buy that to play zelda? Either the console will be sold out or overpriced, which may convince people to get a switch instead? I would be tempted to get a wii u now but last i checked they were scarce and expensive. Was gonna make a thread but there are way too many Nintendo threads already lol.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: It's strange, the Wii U isn't available at reduced prices everywhere like I thought it'd be. I can see it at prices approaching that of the Switch but with, like, four games bundled, though, some of which are even on my to-play list for if I get the console, so I'm not entirely deterred. It's more a matter of whether BotW is better on the Switch, that'll decide what I end up doing.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By OurSin_360

@fnrslvr: Nintendo stopped making the wii u altogether and pulled it from stores, so anything selling is overpriced. It just doesn't make much sense considering they dont make any of their money back this way. My guess is they think its too similar to the switch and dont want confusion, but money is money and people tend to buy cheap hardware at the end of a life cycle. Weird

BFZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally it's a value proposition. I'm also in my early 30's and financially stable.

Zelda is what I want and it can be had on my Wii U. The switch needed to give me something that would push me over to buy it.

It gave me skepticism instead. I really believe that Nintendo has lost touch with the modern age. Everyone gives them a pass and says "oh it's Nintendo, they're doing their own thing."

The online stuff is questionable, the peripheral costs are laughable, the motion control is silly and battery life in portable mode is short.

As an informed consumer who has financial stability in part because I don't make snap purchases, I will be passing on the switch because I believe it's currently not a good value for me personally.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Its not the end of the world, but it is one more bitof friction that is added to a list of choice which present other friction points.

• 1-2 Switch is being sold for $60, not free with the system like Wii Sports...friction.
    • Doubling down on motion controls that never sold Wii U...friction.
    • Paid online from a company that has consistent shown they "Do Not Understand Online"...friction
    • Free games are free for a month...friction.
    • Once again selling the same NES/SNES games to the same people for the fifth time...friction.
    • Average battery time about 3-4 hours...friction
    • The standard controller is Joycon, not pro. So a bit too small and two limited compared to XBox and DualShock, so will never great for typical 2017 games...friction.
    • Third party suppprts for games like Skyrim or FIFA are special editions, not the Triple-A efforts of a studio....friction

cyberbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not paying more than the cost of a PS4 for something less powerful. I appreciate it is mobile as well, but that does not interest me much.

I am interested in seeing how this affects the second hand price of a WiiU, as I'd like to pick one up for the kids.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#63  Edited By avantegardener

Its currently €329, thats about €50 too much to make it an impulse purchase. €279, I'd probably have ordered one on a drunken late evening browsing whim, but €329 is sobering, and makes you think if you want one badly enough (turns out, no).

In the grand scheme of things, whats another €50, in the moment, its everything.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By TheBlue

I echo what a lot of people here have already said and for me, it's not about not being able to spend $50 extra. It's about what you're spending that $50 on. There are a lot of games coming out in the next couple months that I really want to play, like 6 or 7, priced at $52 with the Amazon Prime discount. I also have a lot of bills to pay on a monthly basis. With those expenses in mind, suddenly that extra $50 I wasn't expecting to be on the Switch price tag makes it a much harder purchase to just throw my money at. The only game that I absolutely want to play on that thing is Zelda. Mario isn't out until the holiday and Fire Emblem Warriors won't be out until the end of this year at the earliest. Those are literally the only games I have seen so far for the switch that I even remotely care about. So when I think about paying $300 before tax for a system that will only have a single game I'm interested in for months, yeah, that $50 more than I expected doesn't sit well.

hxcaleb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By hxcaleb

To me, $300 is not too much to pay for the thing, but it's kinda like buying a nice new car with nowhere to go in the thing. If the switch is going to sit on a shelf with maybe one or two games for me to play on it, I think I'm going to wait until at least the fall before getting one.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Given how much the accessories are for this thing, I think the $50 difference is a big deal.

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
    CurseTheseMetalHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could've accepted a $300 price tag if:

- it included the Pro controller at that price.
    - the launch titles (or even the entire 2017 lineup) was so amazing I couldn't imagine waiting 2-3 years.
    - I had even the tiniest interest in the mobile aspect of the damn thing.
    - it was clear Nintendo was stepping away from the whole gimmicky Wii/Wii U motion control bullshit instead of everything about this feeling like the XBox One launching with a Kinect.

I think Zelda looks amazing - it's the most excited I've been for anything Nintendo since the SNES days - but I'm once again forced to wonder if maybe Nintendo just isn't for me anymore.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@fnrslvr said:

And wrt taxes, isn't the US RRP of $300 sales tax inclusive? Like, surely they don't advertise a retail price of $299.95 in California and expect people there to do the mental maths to add the 7% or whatever state sales tax, do they?

That's actually exactly how taxes work in the US. Buying a $59.99 game in Texas will cost you $64.94 at the register, because Texas has a sales tax of 8.25%.

You might also not know that different states have different tax percentages, and sometimes also tax different products different amounts.

DrGeneDangoMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By DrGeneDangoMD

I personally think 300 is pretty reasonable. Does anyone know if it has bluetooth audio out or an ethernet port?

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous: Weird. I guess I may have to eat some of my words. But part of the reason I posed that question was so that someone would fill in that info, so thanks. (Most of the reason was incredulousness/rhetoric, though.) I guess if you take the US Switch RRP, add Australia's 10% GST (which we include in the RRP because we're not insane) and apply the AUD/USD at its Trump victory low of ~0.7 you get ~470AUD. I think I'll stop complaining now.

I realized that different sales taxes were imposed by different states over there, but I just assumed that big companies ate the difference (or more likely, profited more handily off the low tax states) for the sake of RRP parity.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

In the UK at least, it's significantly more expensive (£280) than Xbox One (500GB S with Fifa 17 - £220) or PS4 (500GB Slim - £215). That's a lot to ask.

Coupled with the fact that the launch line up looks completely uninteresting to me (Breath of the Wild is a maybe, but I have a Wii U....), paid online from a company with a history of questionable online services (and without the GwG/PSPlus game library benefits), questionable controller decisions (I don't want any more motion controls, the JoyCons look too small to use comfortably for long periods - same issue I have with my 3DSXL, replacements/pro controllers are expensive), and the mediocre battery life makes it a non-starter for me at that price.

• Once again selling the same NES/SNES games to the same people for the fifth time...friction.

I wouldn't mind that _as_ much if they were priced appropriately, but paying £7-£9 for a SNES ROM that doesn't even transfer between my Nintendo devices (Wii U/3DS) just isn't an attractive proposition. Even if ROMs weren't so easy to find from dodgy sources, there aren't many SNES games for which I'd want to pay £9.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Three0neFive

It's $399 here in Canada, which is absolutely too much for what they're bringing to the table right now. If you want a Switch and a single game, that's almost $500 right out of the gate, not even including things like another controller and the eventual paid online.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.