Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Are you going to play it docked, or un-docked? What do you prefer?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By NTM

Poll Are you going to play it docked, or un-docked? What do you prefer? (153 votes)

Docked. I like a good home entertainment experience. 41%
    Not docked a lot of the time. I plan on taking my play experience on the go. 10%
    I'm going to say an equal amount. 19%
    Neither. I'm not getting the Switch. 12%
    I have no clue. I'll see when I get it. 18%

I plan on playing the Switch docked all the time. I'm not much of a portable gamer. I think if this is Nintendo's way to pander to the mobile phone crowd (not sure if that's the intention, but I'm just saying), then it's smart I suppose but unfortunate in some respect. I just hope the games don't lack for it. I'm not really too worried about that, though, but I am worried the home experience will be less than optimal compared to what it could be, and I'm not just talking about the hardware that backs up what the visuals can do, but what about sound options? Will it finally allow me to utilize surround sound (unlike the awkward way the Wii U does it)? To me, it's just basic things that modern consoles should have in my opinion. I'm finally playing the Wii U more now that I've gotten a new sound system, which makes the sound a lot better than it did. I just bought Twilight Princess HD for myself, and I got Tokyo Mirage Sessions for my brother, which he seems to really like (he should have looked into it more because it's a game right up his ally [he likes Persona, but not as much Fire Emblem]). So what about you guys? What kind of experience do you prefer, or are you looking forward to both ways to play it?

• 
    OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I get one it will likely be as a handheld. Something to play when i am on a commute or just dont feel like getting out of bed lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
    deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If i do get one its probably going to be docked 90% of the time.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

If I'm going to get one, undocked exclusively. I really just want a Nintendo handheld =/

Malarkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably docked most of the time, then undock it and just play in bed during the evenings.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NTM

I really would rather play Zelda on it than on the Wii U, but I hope there's some difference. Zelda is something to be excited about when it comes to getting the new system, so hopefully it's worth it is all.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So according to a recent Eurogamer article, the GPU will be having 2.5x more power when docked than when undocked, with the option for developers to apparently limit the GPU while docked to create parity between the two.

Available CPU SpeedsAvailable GPU Speeds
    Undocked1020MHz307.2MHz1331/1600MHz
    Docked1020MHz307.2/768MHz1331/1600MHz

The last column in the table is "Available Memory Controller Speeds"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-switch-spec-analysis

hodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Undocked. I have a powerful PC so 3ds has occupied all my console interest. I've loved the 3ds but didn't see upgrading to new 3ds as worth it. Hoping Nintendo gives it good virtual console support as I intend to use it as a good mobile legacy console while travelling primarily. Getting access to first party Nintendo software since not having a WiiU is a plus as well.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Docked for the majority of the time, most likely.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I don't really believe for a second people really will want to play this thing undocked, silly gimmick. I will play it docked. Rarely if ever play handhelds outside anyway.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lv4Monk

@atwa: Well consider me a filthy, filthy liar. I rarely play them outside as well but still love the portability of a handheld, even if it's just while I sit at my computer. Really comes down to what kinda performance I get on a game by game basis but as of now that's where I lean.

@hodor: Nintendo has struck out too many times on Virtual Console for me to think there's any hope for the Switch. Would absolutely love it if I'm wrong but I have no interest in being disappointed again.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

All my consoles are currently unplugged, so probably undocked most of the time.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ripelivejam

@atwa: i do. nothing silly or gimmicky really at all. at worst it's the most straightforward "gimmick" they could possibly have.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ry_Ry

Undocked most likely, seems more like a N3DS replacement than a replacement to my Xbox1s or PS4

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Docked. I'm basically interested in the Switch in the hope that it will have both historically console and portable focused Nintendo-platform games on my TV. Fire Emblem, Pokémon, Monster Hunter, SMT, Xenoblade, etc, all available on the same console. I really don't like handhelds since I find them uncomfortable to use and don't have any use for the portability part, but the Wii U never had enough games of its own to get me to buy one. If both kinds of developers make their games for the Switch, then it will be exactly what I want it to be.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I just saw this thread title after watching the UPF with "Genital Jousting", and... yeah.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I am never going to take it out of the dock.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the words of Kanye West, "when i go raw i like to leave it in".

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#19 riostarwind  Moderator

I'm leaning toward the Switch mainly being in the dock. Although I will take it with me whenever I'm going somewhere. I already carry a laptop with me so I'll just stuff it in that bag.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Tom_omb

Can't be sure till I live with it, but I can see myself playing off screen on my couch like I do with my Wii U. I'll have to wait and see if it's the kind of thing I'll take on the bus like a 3DS.

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Docked, the portable switch is too big IMO and I prefer to play my portable games at home (besides, good luck using a tablet-thingy in public here in Brazil)

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By warpr

@atwa said:

I don't really believe for a second people really will want to play this thing undocked, silly gimmick. I will play it docked. Rarely if ever play handhelds outside anyway.

Except families.

At least where I live it's common for my girlfriend or the kids to want to use the TV. So we have the wii u on the TV when some of us are playing together, but if I'm playing a single-player game it's often off-tv. I expect the switch will be the same situation, except with slightly more hassle because of having to dock/undock.

Once an animal crossing comes out for switch I'm guessing it will replace the 3DS, so we'll end up with two or three switches, it'll be nice to put a dock next to each TV in the house so we can dock wherever we want :)

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I'd say mostly docked, but I plan on using it undocked a lot. I genuinely see myself playing the fuck out of this thing when I just wanna chill in bed because I don't feel good or I just want to lazy around.

Can't see myself taking it on the road or when I go out simply out of fear of losing it, but it's nice to have that option.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winsord said:

Docked. I'm basically interested in the Switch in the hope that it will have both historically console and portable focused Nintendo-platform games on my TV. Fire Emblem, Pokémon, Monster Hunter, SMT, Xenoblade, etc, all available on the same console. I really don't like handhelds since I find them uncomfortable to use and don't have any use for the portability part, but the Wii U never had enough games of its own to get me to buy one. If both kinds of developers make their games for the Switch, then it will be exactly what I want it to be.

Yep. The Switch will be my first Nintendo console since the Gamecube, and first handheld since the Game Boy Color (I'm not into handhelds at all). So I'm just hoping to get an all-in-one Nintendo machine to play all their best console-style and mobile-style games on one system, plugged into a big screen, played with a regular-ass, non-gimmicky controller. Finally. The prospect of this kind of system is really exciting to me.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#25  Edited By Slag

Won't really know until I actually get to hold one.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I'll use it in a similar way I did the wii u. Which was about half and half. Although given the undocked tablet will allow an untethered experience (Don't have to be within a certain range of the system) I might end up using it more often given the freedom of location I'll have available.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.