Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Nintencats

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

It looks as if a kitty version of Nintendogs in the works on the evidence of what Miyamoto has said in a recent Q & A session in Japan.  When trying to avoid discussing what he's currently working on, Miyamoto talked about something known as, "sure chigai", games that allow information exchange or communicate with passers by like the new Dragon Quest does. (and Nintedodogs before it - Bark Mode).  Mr Miyamoto mentioned how Nintendo would want to elaborate with future games given the large numbers who carry DS's around. When closing the interview, Miyamoto said the following:

Miyamoto  "Also, I've recently been caring for cats. That is all."
    Iwata  "He just gave a big hint."

The full transcript in English can be found here.  

UPDATE:  

Miyamoto could have been referring to his newly acquired family cat, and Mr Iwata's comment is simply tongue in cheek. Or, perhaps a new game in the Nintendogs mould is on the way, one that involves caring for cats as well as many other animals :?

"  Miyamoto-  "But there won't be a Nintencats"  

Destructoid

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By turbomonkey138

I still have Nintendogs . I think they might be dead as i haven't looked after them in over 2 years . I prefer cats so im into this :0

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Emandudeguyperson

/facepalm
          /facepalm
    Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Synthballs

Nintencats.

They sit there and ignore you until you want something. Then they bite and scratch you...

YOU'VE DONE IT AGAIN MIYAMOTO!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Synthballs said:
    " Nintencats.  They sit there and ignore you until you want something. Then they bite and scratch you...  YOU'VE DONE IT AGAIN MIYAMOTO! "

Good to hear the opinions of even those who don't have cats.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Scooper

I hope it's something like this.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel
    @Emandudeguyperson said:
    "
          /facepalm
          /facepalm
    "
    The reaction of anyone that fails to realize just how much money the Nintendogs titles earned.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I am at a loss for words.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Bigandtasty

If I could get the crazy cat lady next door to give up her 30+ cats in favor of this, I will worship Miyamoto.

Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sabata

What will you even do in that game?  Watch as your Nintencat sleeps for 23 hours a day and then eats and poops for the remaining hour?

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Brunchies

Nintencats better let you make a video about your cat and upload it to youtube, that is when the game will be complete. 

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#12  Edited By Symphony
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Emandudeguyperson said:
    "
          /facepalm
          /facepalm
    "
    The reaction of anyone that fails to realize just how much money the Nintendogs titles earned. "
    Not necessarily... I'm well aware of how much it earned and I'm tempted to /facepalm myself because of that very fact. The popularity of virtual pets continues to escape my comprehension.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Hailinel
    @Sabata said:
    " What will you even do in that game?  Watch as your Nintencat sleeps for 23 hours a day and then eats and poops for the remaining hour? "
    It doesn't sound like you've been around many cats.  I've never actually owned one as a pet, but I have several friends that do, and they have quite the range of personalities.

That doesn't mean that they don't harbor a secret desire to enslave humanity and make us wait on their every whim, but not all cats are as lazy as Garfield.
    Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Synthballs
    @CrazyBagMan: I do have a cat. I'm just saying they can be slightly aggressive unless they want something from you. My cat is a giant arsehole.
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By DanielJW
    @Scooper: That was awesome.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Symphony said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Emandudeguyperson said:
    "
          /facepalm
          /facepalm
    "
    The reaction of anyone that fails to realize just how much money the Nintendogs titles earned. "
    Not necessarily... I'm well aware of how much it earned and I'm tempted to /facepalm myself because of that very fact. The popularity of virtual pets continues to escape my comprehension. "

Not Sony on the evidence of their new iPet on PS3.  

Young girls love kittens, I can see this selling very well worldwide. There's a large audience in want of such software, in turn, large sums of money to be made. That will always be enough for any developer who wants to make money. 

This would easily be another million plus seller for Nintendo, my only wish is that they use the funds wisely elsewhere.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By JJOR64

Nintendogs was fun for like 2 weeks.  Then it just got boring.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By bonbolapti

I thought that was just a comment, which now feels like it's being taken out of context. :S
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @JJOR64 said:
    " Nintendogs was fun for like 2 weeks.  Then it just got boring. "
    It did get boring very fast. I think If they were to make a cheap Wii Channel with updating features and both dogs and cats, I would buy it, but not on the DS at full price, no way.
    strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#20  Edited By strangeling

I have no need for Nintencats.  I have two real cats.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By weltal

Miyamoto-  "But there won't be a Nintencats," he added, laughing. 
     Destructoid.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#22  Edited By Symphony
    @Linkyshinks said:
    Not Sony on the evidence of their new iPet on PS3.   Young girls love kittens, I can see this selling very well worldwide. There's a large audience in want of such software, in turn, large sums of money to be made. That will always be enough for any developer who wants to make money.   This would easily be another million plus seller for Nintendo, my only wish is that they use the funds wisely elsewhere. "
    My thoughts, exactly.

Don't get me wrong, I love cats myself, but I like being able to hold them and actually play with them... If my parents had brought home a virtual cat when I was young I would have looked at them as if they're crazy. I can even see the conversation that would have resulted. 

"Look honey, you're very own virtual pet cat!" 
    "Gee... thanks mom and dad, how... thoughtful..." 
    "Now, sweetie, you know we aren't allowed to have real cats here  (or insert any other excuse a parent would use to justify this purchase -- cost, allergies, etc), so this is the next best thing, right?" 
    "Yeah... I guess.... if you can really compare a video game to an actual pet... *sigh*" 
    "Look! You can play with it and teach it tricks!" 
    "That's great, dad, you have fun with that. I'm going to go outside and pet the neighborhood cats. You know -- the kind of cat I can actually pet and feed." 

And so the parents plans to get their child outside into fresh air wins! Curses!
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Symphony said:

" @Linkyshinks said:

Not Sony on the evidence of their new iPet on PS3.   Young girls love kittens, I can see this selling very well worldwide. There's a large audience in want of such software, in turn, large sums of money to be made. That will always be enough for any developer who wants to make money.   This would easily be another million plus seller for Nintendo, my only wish is that they use the funds wisely elsewhere. "
    My thoughts, exactly.  Don't get me wrong, I love cats myself, but I like being able to hold them and actually play with them... If my parents had brought home a virtual cat when I was young I would have looked at them as if they're crazy. I can even see the conversation that would have resulted.   "Look honey, you're very own virtual pet cat!"  "Gee... thanks mom and dad, how... thoughtful..."  "Now, sweetie, you know we aren't allowed to have real cats here  (or insert any other excuse a parent would use to justify this purchase -- cost, allergies, etc), so this is the next best thing, right?"  "Yeah... I guess.... if you can really compare a video game to an actual pet... *sigh*"  "Look! You can play with it and teach it tricks!"  "That's great, dad, you have fun with that. I'm going to go outside and pet the neighborhood cats. You know -- the kind of cat I can actually pet and feed."   And so the parents plans to get their child outside into fresh air wins! Curses! "

I think kids of today happily accept such a gifts despite knowing they're not real. Kids are far more embracing of new technology of this sort than people of our own age are. It matters very little to them that it's not real, I happen to think the fact it's not real is what fascinates them. The same fascination can be seen clearly with the way Japanese people relate to robots, and there also it has a positive role for the future.

Far too many pets are given away to authorities around the globe because owners cannot look after them, and many of these dogs are put down because the situation has become so bad. Nintendogs and the likes have a positive role in prevention of that.

From the parents perspective, it's win win, no annual costs for the upkeep of a pet, and no possibility of having to give it away someday, to the despair and horror of the kids.  
    Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24  Edited By Wildfire570

Well as an owner of two cats, there is a part of me that wishes I had a virtual cat.

Then again if I had a virtual cat you wouldn't have pictures like this:

My cat stares into your soul!
    My cat stares into your soul!
    Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sabata
    @Hailinel: I own two, one that lives inside and one that lives outside.  The one that lives inside fits my description to the letter.  The one that lives outside only comes around once or twice a day for food; what he does out there in the wilderness is his own business.
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Romination

No, man, cuz like, it's going to be that Mario turns into a furry and he's a cat!!!

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Meowayne

Yes, a  Nintendo developed game about cats will definatly get my vote.

Edit: In fact, I look forward to this considerably more than to MW2.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By oldschool
    @Meowayne said:
    " Yes, a  Nintendo developed game about cats will definatly get my vote.  Edit: In fact, I look forward to this considerably more than to MW2. "
    You are sooooo going to get flamed  ^-^ 

I would look seriously at this as a game if they make it interesting.  It would be a lot cheaper than what I just did, spending $800 on 2 pedigree Ragdoll kittens. 

If you don't care about the game, why do you care about the game?
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Al3xand3r

I think it's a tad too obvious. Didn't they recently bind him to not talk about his hobbies? Of course this was a staged "reveal" with the emphasis put on this being a big hint for the audience so I suppose maybe they'll show the game soon, but perhaps it's not something as expected as Nintencats. There's also somewhat of market saturation on this type of thing thanks to Ubisoft and other shovelware developers, though I guess Nintendo marketing can penetrate through that with no problem anyway.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#30  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I always wondered whether this day would come. I know when this game does come out I probably shouldn't buy it, considering I already played all I want to of Nintendogs, but my love of cats is clouding my better judgement.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By Black_Rose

Oh shit yeah, I love cats. But I actually have a real one so I probably won't be getting this. 

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Weltal said:
    "  Miyamoto-  "But there won't be a Nintencats," he added, laughing. 
     Destructoid. "

Interesting, he said "cats" and not "cat" in the OP quote. I suppose it could be a mistranslation, and he could just be referring to his newly acquired family cat. Iwata's following comment could have been said with tongue in cheek. 

@Al3xand3r said:
    " I think it's a tad too obvious. Didn't they recently bind him to not talk about his hobbies? Of course this was a staged "reveal" with the emphasis put on this being a big hint for the audience so I suppose maybe they'll show the game soon, but perhaps it's not something as expected as Nintencats. There's also somewhat of market saturation on this type of thing thanks to Ubisoft and other shovelware developers, though I guess Nintendo marketing can penetrate through that with no problem anyway. "

It's looking like something else now, looking at the article linked above. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.