Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Getting a DSi for Christmas, need good games. Reccomendations?

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

Can anyone recommend some great games for the DS? I really want to get one for Christmas this year, along with Scribblenauts. 

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Godwind

Since you are getting a DSi, I'll start with with some DSi games.

DSi games
    Dragon Quest Wars- I was really surprised when I picked up this game.  It is a weird cross between chess and grid board turn-based strategy.  You select a group of monsters and try to out play your opponent by either reaching the goal, defeating the opponents monster or scoring more points at the end of the round.  You can also go online and play against others.  Costs 500 Nintendo points ($5 in USD).

Mario vs Donkey Kong Minis March Again!- A pretty cool game.  Rather than directly controlling the character, you manipulate the environment to guide the character.  Trying to move blocks around to have mario fall in a pit, jump on a spring, activate little mechanical to reach the goal.   You can also make stages and upload, although I have yet to try this out yet.  (800 Nintendo points)

Birds and Beans- Fun little arcade like game for 200 Nintendo points and really addicting.  You move around this bird and try to eat beans.  If you fail to eat a bean, that bean will destroy a part of the stage.  If a bean hits you, its game over.

Flipnote Studio- A free application.  You can draw and doddle and make little videos that you can upload.  Here is an example of one.
      http://flipnote.hatena.com/55CE9B7031CE9F11@DSi/movie/CE9F11_09115C1A62068_011?in=user
     Also, here is one I made.
     http://flipnote.hatena.com/5374917031D0E123@DSi/movie/D0E123_091AA71137E32_001?in=user

Mighty Flip Champ- Basically a puzzle game with platformer twist.  Rather than trying to jump from platform to platform, you need to fall onto platforms by switching maps. 800 Nintendo points.

Pictobits- Similar to Tetris, you have falling blocks and shapes.  Although you are suppose to fill in those shapes and break up the shapes.  Then collect the bits that fall and use that to shape out the falling blocks.  The blocks are then used to fill in a picture.  500 Nintendo points.

I would suggest picking up the Web Browser because it is free.  It is useful for doing quick stuff but nothing you would really want to browse on.

I own other DSiware applications. The ones I already recommended are just some really fun stuff.  Here is a list of the other DSiware apps I own.  Feel free to ask more in detail about them.
     Art Style: AQUIA
    Art Style: BASE 10
    Art Style: INTERSECT
    Art Style: BOXLIFE
    Art Style: precipice
    Art Style: ZENGAGE
    Bomberman Blitz
    Dr. Mario Express
    Animal Crossing Calculator 

Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword- You control the entire game with your stylus and one button for guarding.  It is pretty unique in the DS library and works really well.  You hack and slash and perform combos moving the stylus across the screen.  Tap to throw shurikens.  It is pretty simple to control and pretty intuitive.  You can pick it up pretty cheap new and used.

Bangai-O Spirits- This game has about 160 levels, all which are difficult.  It allows you to freely fly around the stage.  You can use a varity of weapons and devices to play the stage (although you will be restricted in the number of weapons you can carry).  Some stages functions differently.   Some stages act more as racing games than just a shooter.  Some stages don't even have enemies which focuses completely on puzzle solving.

Here is a list of DS games I own.
    Advance Wars: Dual Strike
    Bangai-O Spirits
    Metroid Prime Hunters
    Elite Beat Agents
    Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
    Brain Age 2
    Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
    Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    Starfox Command
    Children of Mana
    Lock's Quest
    Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
    Contra 4
    Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword
    Advance Wars: Day of Ruin

I'll edit this later.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By AgentJ

One game in particular that just came out and is great is Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes. I played a demo at PAX, and it may be one of the most addicting games I've ever played.  
    Besides that, there's Castlevania Order of Ecclesia, The World Ends With You, New Super Mario Brothers, and MANY MANY MORE.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince

If only one game series then that series is Professor Layton.

illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By illmatic19

Pick up all Phoenix Wright games.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#7  Edited By AgentJ
    @illmatic19 said:
    " Pick up all Phoenix Wright games. "
    AGREED.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'd recommend New Super Mario Bros., Advance Wars: Dual Strike, Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, Elite Beat Agents, Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum Version. Great games.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By oldschool
    @AgentJ said:
    " @illmatic19 said:
    " Pick up all Phoenix Wright games. "
    AGREED. "
    And then you should play them, otherwise people get mad and threaten you  ^-^ 
    Yeah, that's right, I still haven't played the 2 I got, wanna fight about it  :/ 

If you like strategy, and you should, you have to get an Advance Wars game, they are both awesome. 

If you like RPG, then the DS is just overloaded with them, and a good place to start is definitely The World Ends With You, but there are so many more.
    RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RaikohBlade

Mario Kart DS, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow.

CountRockula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By CountRockula

Get the Professor Layton games first.
    Get the Phoenix Wright games second.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

Wow thanks everyone, I really can't wait to get a DSi now. Also, does anyone know if the Drawn to Life games are good? They sound interesting.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Afroman269

Elite Beat Agents.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16  Edited By DrRandle

Dude there's so many, and it looks like the list is pretty well covered, but here's one I think you really need to look into: Big Bang Mini. It's a cheap game, and it's quite amazing.

I'm also quite into Pokemon so I'm going to throw out that Pokemon Platinum is the absolute best game in the series (although SoulSilver is looking to overtake that).

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By MysteriousBob

R4. 

I mean Warioware. Yeah, Warioware. R4 is the abbreviation for "Warioware: Touched".

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#18  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

My favorite time-sinks on the DS are Disgaea DS, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, New Super Mario Bros, and most of the Square RPG's - Final Fantasy III and IV and Chrono Trigger in particular.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By oldschool
    @Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
    " My favorite time-sinks on the DS are Disgaea DS, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, New Super Mario Bros, and most of the Square RPG's - Final Fantasy III and IV and Chrono Trigger in particular. "
    Good choices.  I own and endorse all of them, for what that is worth  ^_^
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Willy105
    @SathingtonWaltz said:
    " Wow thanks everyone, I really can't wait to get a DSi now. Also, does anyone know if the Drawn to Life games are good? They sound interesting. "
    Their main selling point is that you draw your main character and make it go on an adventure. After that, it's pretty generic, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.