Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 16, 2010

Criterion's reboot of one of the most popular games in the Need for Speed series. The game features Racer versus Cop gameplay and can be played from either perspective at any time.

Logic Behind Crashes is Stupid

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By MAST

I'm specifically talking about when you crash, and it goes into a kind of "cut-scene" mode and says "You Crashed" and shows your car flipping over.

I've tested this about a dozen times, so I know it's fact. I've slowed down to about 20-50MPH and basically tapped into a road block vehicle, and it always triggers the crash animation and damages my vehicle accordingly. On the other hand, I've slowed down to a complete stop as a Cop, and let a Racer crash right between my taillights going 150-200MPH. What happens? I get the crash animation, me, and the Racer doesn't. The Racer is able to keep driving, almost without slowing down.
    Does that not seem completely insane? If I hit into a parked cop car in a road block going only 50MPH, it's an immediate crash animation, yet if a Racer hits directly into the back of me while I'm stopped, they don't crash, I do. Even though they are going 3-4 times faster... Matter of fact, when they hit directly into the back of me going that fast, it seems to barely damage them. I had a Racer that was at one red bar crash into the back of me doing about 200, and it didn't phase him at all, he just kept going.

There's just so many little things in this game that infuriate me because they are completely illogical, and defy explanation.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

If the game always had realistic crashes, they every time you hit something you'd be screwed, and that'd be no fun. 

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Hunkulese

Have you played the rest of the game? Nothing in the game is logical. Try driving you car as fast as you can at a corner, tapping the breaks once and see if you can drift around it like that. Did you listen to the intro? These are cops that are told to stop speeders by taking them out. Very logical. 

The crashes are supposed to look cool and they do. Don't overthink a need for speed game. 

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Skald

Dude, the cops drive Bugatti Veyrons, there is no logic to this game, it's just fun.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By MAST
    @MooseyMcMan:@Hunkulese:@extremeradical: 

Sorry, but those are always the weakest arguments. How about they make it so that when you shoot a gun in a FPS game, the bullets go straight down, instead of the direction you are pointing the gun. I mean, it's a game, there's tons of stuff that's not realistic/logical about Modern Warfare 2, or Black Ops already. So what's one more thing? Seriously, that's practically your guys' argument.
    I realize it's just a game, but there still needs to be at least a tiny bit of logic and consistency for it to be fun. When you shoot a modern gun in a modern FPS game, most people expect, and want it to behave in a certain way. The same is true in a racing game featuring modern/real cars. Hitting a parked car while only going 50MPH, and it throwing you into a wreck animation, yet in another instance you hit a parked car going 200MPH and it doesn't make you wreck, that's dumb, and infuriating. I'm not even necessarily asking for realism. Just consistency. If mildly hitting into a car makes you wreck, then slamming into a car going full speed should DEFINITELY make you wreck. Case closed.

I'd be satisfied if they would just make it so that when a Racer slams right into the back of me going 200MPH while I'm at a standstill, that it cause them to crash. Not cause ME to crash, and yet allow the Racer to just keep on driving like nothing happened... Especially when only about a minute before that I hit into a road block going only 40MPH, and it instantly threw me into a long crash animation, and caused me quite a bit of damage.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Skald
    @MAST: I'm sure Criterion thoroughly tested this game and decided that this was the most balanced and fun way to handle crashes. This is also why this game is called an arcade racer as opposed to a sim. If you want consistency, games like GT5 might be more suited to your tastes. 

Otherwise, it's a good game. Just learn the rules in the game and play by those.
    Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Hunkulese
    @MAST said:
    " @MooseyMcMan:@Hunkulese:@extremeradical: 

Sorry, but those are always the weakest arguments. How about they make it so that when you shoot a gun in a FPS game, the bullets go straight down, instead of the direction you are pointing the gun. I mean, it's a game, there's tons of stuff that's not realistic/logical about Modern Warfare 2, or Black Ops already. So what's one more thing? Seriously, that's practically your guys' argument.
    I realize it's just a game, but there still needs to be at least a tiny bit of logic and consistency for it to be fun. When you shoot a modern gun in a modern FPS game, most people expect, and want it to behave in a certain way. The same is true in a racing game featuring modern/real cars. Hitting a parked car while only going 50MPH, and it throwing you into a wreck animation, yet in another instance you hit a parked car going 200MPH and it doesn't make you wreck, that's dumb, and infuriating. I'm not even necessarily asking for realism. Just consistency. If mildly hitting into a car makes you wreck, then slamming into a car going full speed should DEFINITELY make you wreck. Case closed.

I'd be satisfied if they would just make it so that when a Racer slams right into the back of me going 200MPH while I'm at a standstill, that it cause them to crash. Not cause ME to crash, and yet allow the Racer to just keep on driving like nothing happened... Especially when only about a minute before that I hit into a road block going only 40MPH, and it instantly threw me into a long crash animation, and caused me quite a bit of damage. "
    How would bullets going straight down be fun?
    Eribuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#8  Edited By Eribuster

The game calculates damage in way that will befuddle those thinking of reality. The roadblock units are a police weapon that is supposed to funnel, slow, and outright crash racers (though cops have to be careful too). Don't think of roadblock units as real cars. The damage between cop and racer works in that the front of the car deals damage, the back takes damage, and the car with the higher speed is the attacker. This is pretty much the same as in the Burnout games since Burnout 3: Takedown. You have to get in to the mindset that you can't go in front of your target and shove your car's back in to the target. The game is designed that you have to be behind or at the side of your target to shunt and slam the target in to a KO.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.