Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 16, 2010

Criterion's reboot of one of the most popular games in the Need for Speed series. The game features Racer versus Cop gameplay and can be played from either perspective at any time.

I'm glad I didn't pay more than $25 for this.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By napalm

This game just really isn't that great. From past experiences, it usually takes at least a good three or four races to "get" the car handling, handbrake, drifting, etc., and be able to adapt and work with the systems, but with this game, I'm on at least my eighth or ninth race and I'm still not feeling the driving at all. Sharp curves still give me an issue, and I keep having a tug of war with either just letting off the brake to go smoothly around, or using the handbrake. Even just straightening out after a turn has proven to be unnecessarily difficult as my car just keeps bobbing a bit from side to side, threatening to spin.  Also, there doesn't seem to be much customization going on, except for picking from five or six preset colors, and the fact that I have to use certain cars on many of the races so far as diminished my overall enjoyment. 

My last racing title was Need For Speed: Carbon, and I remember just enjoying that game a whole helluvalot, so I picked up Hot Pursuit because it seemed awesome, and I was in the mood for some racing. 

I think I might go back to Carbon, or look forward to The Run, because Hot Pursuit isn't doing it for me. 

Is anybody else in agreement with me, or am I alone on this one?

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Romination

Boy, if your last racing game was Carbon, you're probably just not used to some of the changes and the even more Arcadey feel of Hot Pursuit. I've had some trouble with Criterion games keeping some cars the cars going straight, but hopefully you'll be able to find one that works for you.

It's just a very different game. It's about the chase and the thrill of wrecking the shit out of some dude's car, more than it is about customization and babying your car into perfection with the right... chasse and engine (don't know car terms).

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By EuanDewar

I got it in one race and enjoyed it immensely. EXPERIENCES MAY VARY.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By natetodamax

I thought it was a fantastic racing game. I had no trouble with the handling at all. The online Hot Pursuit mode is where it's at.

oobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oobs

i thought it was not bad...i dont go much on the time trail modes so to speak

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

My only knock is that there isn't a ton of depth to the game. Would've liked to have seen a simple "Prestige"-esque option because I feel like I hit that level cap and got Gold Medals on the missions I could and then dropped that game like fourth-period French.

As far as the mechanics go, Napalm, it sounds like it just hasn't clicked. Game is ridiculously tight, so the experience you're having is more a trial of acclimation than anything else.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By JJWeatherman

@Napalm: Tap LT and turn sharply to initiate a drift. That should solve your handbrake vs. regular brake problem (as the answer really is neither). Idk, I thought it was fun. I still have it, so maybe I'll play some more.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By vitor

@Napalm: Had the same experience initially - was coming off Split/Second where cars turned on a dime. Took me a while to realise that the handling in Hot Pursuit, while A LOT harder to get used to, is a lot more in depth and fun. There's definitely an adjustment period though so don't worry, it's not you.

It gets better the more you race and the more fast cars you unlock, trust me. Once you get the hang of drifting it this game though, if feels sublime. Just release your finger from the accelerator and reapply for soft corners and tap break for hard ones while holding accelerate if I remember correctly.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By ajamafalous

Are you drifting around corners?

cstrfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cstrfrk

I'm also pretty happy that I found this for only $6 at my local used record shop. (no box)

The handling and gameplay is fine for me but I guess I'm a little disappointed with the offline game. There really isn't much to it is there?

Sure it's fun comparing/competing with friends who have the game, but other than that, it doesn't seem to be a very deep game. But then again I did JUST get this yesterday and only have a few races under my belt so I'll give it more of a chance, but from what I've seen so far, there's really not much of a point after playing Burnout Paradise.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Legend

I played this game mostly online and I had a really good time playing it.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By EVO

@EuanDewar said:

I got it in one race and enjoyed it immensely.

Same here. I haven't played an arcade racer that feels better ever since.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CptBedlam

@Napalm said:

My last racing title was Need For Speed: Carbon, and I remember just enjoying that game a whole helluvalot

There's your problem: you're used to bad quality racing games. Get used to good quality racing games.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By napalm
    @CptBedlam said:

@Napalm said:

My last racing title was Need For Speed: Carbon, and I remember just enjoying that game a whole helluvalot

There's your problem: you're used to bad quality racing games. Get used to good quality racing games.

Congratulations. You replied to a topic of mine that is more than three months old.
    Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Sambambo

@Napalm said:

@CptBedlam said:

@Napalm said:

Congratulations. You replied to a topic of mine that is more than three months old.

Seems a bit harsh... GB game dedicated forums are usually dead. If you want to talk about a game, you have to revive old threads.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CptBedlam

@Napalm said:

@CptBedlam said:

@Napalm said:

I didn't dig it up. I replied to a topic that was on the front page.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By laserbolts

Well planned on playing Alpha Protocol all day today but after a few hours I can't play this shit game anymore. Picking this up gamertag is devinl if someone wants to get some races in.

Cusseta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cusseta

I paid $60 and was very satisfied : /

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

This is one of my favorite games of this generation. At first I was like "yeah this is fun". And then a year later I was like "Goddamn this game is terrific!" and now like 9 months after that I'm like "fucking hell this is one of my favorite games ever made"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.