Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NBA Elite 11

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Nov 05, 2010

EA's renamed basketball simulation set for an October 2010 release was cancelled at the last minute due to concerns over quality. The game was intended to introduce brand new control concepts and mechanics meant to innovate on the simulation basketball genre.

NBA Elite 11 Delayed, Standalone NBA Jam Hits 360, PS3 This Year

• 100 results
    PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By PhilESkyline

This just put the icing on my day, the fall of EA. Wonderful...*chants 2K 2K 2K*

HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By HairyMike87

I just wanna try out the new Jam. I've been playing Jam TE on my genesis lately and see if it's worth buying this new one.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By scarace360

FUCK NBA ELITE NBA JAM!

hbi2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By hbi2k

That's too bad.  NBA Elite seemed like such a neat little bonus disc to be packaged together with a big release like NBA Jam. 

All kidding aside, props to EA for not shipping a half-finished game just to get it to market in time for the new season, and extra props for doing the right thing and pushing out the new roster as a free update.  They'll probably lose some sales in the short term, but Jam should still sell like gangbusters and if the new Elite is good, they'll make up for it in the long term with customer goodwill.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By tim_the_corsair

I wonder how much of a hit Elite sales will take now that Jam is going standalone?

Australia isn't exactly the basketball capital of the world, so my view here is naturally going to be a bit biased, but just about everyone I know that was going to buy Elite was essentially going to chuck it in a drawer somewhere just so they could get some of that sweet, sweet Jam.

Greenlight13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By Greenlight13

Didn't 2K decide not to release a hockey game this year because EA are kicking their ass so bad? I guess this is the revenge?

I got the demo today, and I really like it. It's ridiculously difficult to get used to the differences in controls, but when you start to, you realise it makes more sense as they are now... although I'd prefer to use X to pass than a shoulder button, but hey.

I've seen the Jesus glitch, and the complaints about non-responsive controls, but I've experienced neither of these myself, so I'm kinda bummed out that the game isn't coming out in full form.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#57  Edited By Claude

I'm still buying the Wii version.

AshTDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By AshTDS

I really like the control scheme and it is good idea to get away from the overly long animations of 2K and Live but, yeah, that game is not ready.  Wait until next year EA.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Cheetoman

All I need is 2k11

soulfulsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By soulfulsoul

Huh, that sucks. I know a couple of the guys working on this game. Hopefully things work out given more time. The improvements they were making in this version sounded pretty awesome.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#61  Edited By AndrewB

I had the Game Room pose (which has totally been around since forever before Game Room, but still...) happen in my Mass Effect 2 game. Had me bursting with laughter to see Miranda posing like that.

demazin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By demazin

I really doubt NBA JAM will be a downloadable title.
    I still can't wait for it.
    Matches via XboxLive is gonna be awesome.

nmarchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By nmarchan

Elite doesn't look very good.  That said, they keep removing reasons to buy NBA Jam for Wii, after it was touted as an exclusive title.  

elitefury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By elitefury

Damn! I didn't have any of those glitches when i played. But the controls are completely different from 2K and even Live and would take time for player to get used to. Also even if you take the controls out of account the gameplay still seemed a bit off.

Blur_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#65  Edited By Blur_Fan
    @demazin: It's only online with friends.  Like ODST's firefight was.  But don't let that deter you, NBA Jam HD is freaking great
    Avatar image for the_purgatory_station
    the_purgatory_station

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i don't play nba games anymore but this news is pretty crazy.  thx for putting up that video hilarious
    Transit3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Transit3

Have your say here...

Transit3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Transit3

I think I'm going to go with the Wii version.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#69  Edited By JJWeatherman

What I find most funny is the fact that Live has played like this for YEARS! Sure, the jesus thing was never an issue, but the game has played exactly as shitty as this every year for like 5 years strait now. It's kind of a joke how hard EA is trying but can't seem to get it right. Get the damn NHL guys into the Live studio or something. Even if they knew nothing about basketball, I'd bet they could make a batter game.

cabbagesensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#70  Edited By cabbagesensei

Wow, and I had a lot of fun with the Elite demo. I haven't bought a basketball game in years, but after trying both the 2k11 and Elite demo, I honestly thought the latter's gameplay was more intuitive and fun.  

I was seriously considering purchasing the game (pending positive reviews, of course), but at least we'll get N BA Jam as a standalone product and most people won't feel emotionally forced to buy Elite just for Jam.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Hot_Karl

Wow, really? Has this happened before? This is kind of a huge deal- this is one of EA's big properties & it's truly dependent on releasing at this time of year (especially since 2K11 is rearing its head around the corner). Good on EA for realizing that their game isn't up to snuff/not ready for release, but it's shocking IMO to hear this.  

Also, FINALLY NBA Jam isn't just bundled w/ NBA Elite. Even though I actually really enjoyed the NBA Elite demo more than I thought I would. Or maybe I was convincing myself it was worth buying the $60 game just for NBA Jam HD. Not sure.

Kenshiro28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Kenshiro28

Wow. Remember when EA used to be heartless and evil? This is pretty crazy.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#73  Edited By Hailinel
    @VinceNotVance said:
    " Wow, really? Has this happened before? This is kind of a huge deal- this is one of EA's big properties & it's truly dependent on releasing at this time of year (especially since 2K11 is rearing its head around the corner). Good on EA for realizing that their game isn't up to snuff/not ready for release, but it's shocking IMO to hear this.  

Also, FINALLY NBA Jam isn't just bundled w/ NBA Elite. Even though I actually really enjoyed the NBA Elite demo more than I thought I would. Or maybe I was convincing myself it was worth buying the $60 game just for NBA Jam HD. Not sure. "
    Well, 2K did halt releasing their annual NHL title on the 360 and PS3 in order to give the team more time to make the game better, which is why only a Wii version of it was released this year.  However, unlike EA, they didn't initially plan the game for a release this year; the extended development cycle was their plan from the start.

Whatever the case, this really doesn't bode well for NBA Elite.  Especially since this was supposed to be a fresh start for EA when they dropped the NBA Live name.
    Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Hot_Karl
    @Hailinel: Yeah, exactly, they had this idea in mind that they'd have the extended cycle for development. They didn't say a couple weeks before the game hits shelves that they're going to delay it for a supposed indefinite amount of time. Still weird. 

Also, what's up with people complaining about passing being on the shoulder buttons? NHL has had passing relegated to the right trigger/shoulder button for years now.
    milpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#75  Edited By milpool

Good.  Awesome.  It's rare that a developer/publisher will choose to bite the bullet for the sake of quality.  Especially for an annual sports game. 

2K is doing it with their NHL series and now EA with their NBA series.  I was already interested in looking at this game, after reading that they wanted to reinvent how their NBA game franchise played.  This move only serves to make me even more interested.  I am an NBA fan but have never really enjoyed playing modern basketball games. 

I hate paying $79 for a roster update.  I would rather spend the money on trying something completely new, even if it didn't work out.  It is so rare these days that publishers want to take any risks with their game franchises, this is so refreshing.

lacke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By lacke

I wouldn't give EA too much props for this. It's a smart move but it's in their own interest. They've been hammering about a relaunch of their NBA series. If the demo is broken and the reception of it have been bad, it makes no sense for them to release NBA Elite. Sure, they would recoup some of the development costs but it would hurt them in the long run since they are trying to establish a strong brand name and milk future installments of the series. 

@VinceNotVance:
     All NBA players aren't NHL players and vice versa...

mthe1337one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By mthe1337one

people are still looking forward to Elite 11?

sure i can understand ppl who were originally gonna buy it just for NBA jam though.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#78  Edited By FesteringNeon
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " What I find most funny is the fact that Live has played like this for YEARS! Sure, the jesus thing was never an issue, but the game has played exactly as shitty as this every year for like 5 years strait now. It's kind of a joke how hard EA is trying but can't seem to get it right. Get the damn NHL guys into the Live studio or something. Even if they knew nothing about basketball, I'd bet they could make a batter game. "
    I agree, then get that team to make a Madden, Tiger, and a new MVP Baseball game lol!   EA Hockey devs FTW.
    Nunchuckles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Nunchuckles

That video was so damn hilarious.

Schattenjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Schattenjager

I haven't played an EA NBA game extensively since Live  2001, but i found the controls in the demo a good extension of the right stick controls in that game.  Granted, I've never been able to get used to the right stick in 2K NBA games.  Elite definitely needs work, but I think it could be the premiere NBA game this year. I still don't care much about sports games, but I was more into it than the 2K11 demo.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I hope it's DLC. I certainly won't be paying $60 for the game, that's for sure. Still, I think this is good news for everyone and I really like that they're giving free roster updates to NBA Live 2010 owners as compensation for this.

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By solidlife

I applaud EA stance on this, they could of easily put out a crappy sports game. 

Avatar image for beautifulspacecowboy
    BeautifulSpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I am impressed. My respect for EA has gone up (not that it was too low anyways). I look forward to getting my hands on NBA Jam.

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#84  Edited By Pop

wow, EA surprised me on this one, they would usually say fuck it and release it broken. I also love that screeny of the player doing the gameroom airplane xD. And good job Kessler it was a nice read.

Garris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Garris

NBA JAM PS3 WOOO

ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#86  Edited By ht101

I just want NBA Jam for the Wii to be ported to the other consoles as is and not the watered down version.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#87  Edited By striderno9

I thought the demo was alright. I really miss the Turbo button but other than that it wasn't terrible, I will even go as far as to say I will wait until it comes out and gets reviewed before I buy NBA 2K

russcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By russcat
    @JJWeatherman said:

" What I find most funny is the fact that Live has played like this for YEARS! Sure, the jesus thing was never an issue, but the game has played exactly as shitty as this every year for like 5 years strait now. It's kind of a joke how hard EA is trying but can't seem to get it right. Get the damn NHL guys into the Live studio or something. Even if they knew nothing about basketball, I'd bet they could make a batter game. "

Actually they DID get the NHL guys to help out on this one: 

Gamespot to news with title: NBA Elite 11: Q&A With David Littman
    http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/sports/nbalive11/news.html?sid=6264429  

Apologies for linking to Gamespot, but it's just to make a point; David Littman has been the creative director on the NHL franchise for some time.

I believe they are trying really hard to reboot this franchise, but it seems they had tried to do too much in too little time, ending up with a buggy, unpolished game.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Russcat said:

" @JJWeatherman said:

Actually they DID get the NHL guys to help out on this one: 

Gamespot to news with title: NBA Elite 11: Q&A With David Littman
    http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/sports/nbalive11/news.html?sid=6264429   Apologies for linking to Gamespot, but it's just to make a point; David Littman has been the creative director on the NHL franchise for some time. I believe they are trying really hard to reboot this franchise, but it seems they had tried to do too much in too little time, ending up with a buggy, unpolished game. "
    It's not bad to link to Gamespot.  :P 

Wow, I had no idea they actually had the same guy overseeing both games. Maybe that explains why players are skating around on the court as if they were on ice. I guess bringing in the NHL guys wasn't a good idea afterall. 

Even if the game wasn't buggy, it still feels like crap. Ugh. I'd love to see these guys succeed and get competitive with 2K (which would only lead to better games on both sides), but at this rate they may end up not even shipping the game at all. Good grief.
    DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By DoctorWelch

So, I made a forum with this video in it and they take it down so they can use it in a news story? Thats pretty shitty if you ask me.

kist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#91  Edited By kist

LMAO  at the video
    'He standing their like Jesus WTF'

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By nrain

yo dawg he's just standing there like Jesus!

Hishighness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Hishighness

In Marv Albert Voice: Jordan for three.... YES!

And the Pacers wanna talk it over...

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By JCGamer

HD Jam. Yes. I was about to preorder the Wii version looks like i'll wait on that.

ontherocks82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By ontherocks82

The Jesus effect is slightly disconcerting.  I think EA made the right decision.

Piranesi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Piranesi

Odd considering that Tiger 11 for Move is clearly "not ready yet" (or more accurately "f***ing unplayable") along with most of the crappy FIFA games released before 2009.
    Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#97  Edited By Evilmetal
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " "Something's wrong with my gawddamn buttons. Shit's crazy." "
    ha... I thought he said VITAMINS.... hehe... I was thinking "wtf" myself...
    Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#98  Edited By Evilmetal

I was watching some videos of nba elite hookshot exploit and what caught my eye was that the coaches were looking straight ahead...  at the very least they should add tracking to everyone on the bench to look at the player with the ball or where the action is happening.  nba2k11 has tracking on everyone on the bench. It's okay, first nba title by EA.... everyone messes up on the first try...

athleticsfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By athleticsfan

Sports games only have a one year shelf life (probably closer to 6 months). Who would be willing to buy an NBA game that's released in the middle of the season?

Muddy_Cheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Muddy_Cheeks
    @Evilmetal said:
    " I was watching some videos of nba elite hookshot exploit and what caught my eye was that the coaches were looking straight ahead...  at the very least they should add tracking to everyone on the bench to look at the player with the ball or where the action is happening.  nba2k11 has tracking on everyone on the bench. It's okay, first nba title by EA.... everyone messes up on the first try... "
    Ea's first nba title, then whats nba live haha?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.