Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NBA 2K11

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

2K's long-running basketball simulator is back for another season with Michael Jordan as their cover athlete.

Stretching out my Point Guard into a Center!

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Edited By JCTango

In my previous blog message I mentioned how disappointed I was that the NBA 2K11 My Player doesn't really have a developed end game for the player.  It's up to the players themselves to create and ending and finish the game in style.

Instead of coming up with an ending.. I decided to just re-invent my character from a 5'9" point guard (nickname:  Shorty) into a beastly 7'5" center (nickname:  The Beast!).  He got drafted in the first round!  Quite a difference from the first time I played the game haha.  The problem is... I'm not entirely sure what my center's role will be on the team.. for the most part.. for now... most of the time I'm setting up picks & screens, and blocking & rebounding.  The times I do get to take a shot at the basket is when I'm able to dunk or layup...  (FYI it looks so weird dunking at such a huge height.. hardly have to jump to dunk.. and when he does those super dunk moves.. he does them inhumanly fast lol)

I remember the game mentioning that I get less points to spend if I make my character super tall.. but I don't know if it CAPS my MAXIMUMs for each skill... or if it caps the amount of skill points I get per game/drill.  I can see how capping my skill max's would make sense.. but damn.. my guy is so darn slow! 

Can anyone help me out with my two above/below queries? :D 

1. What does an Athletic Center do mostly (will I have to accept that I won't be doing as much scoring? :( - Some Centers lead their teams in scoring though right? :D)
    2. Does max'ing my character's height cap his maximum skill points lower than it would be, or does it cap the amount of skill points he gets per game/drill?

Thanks ;D
    JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JCTango

In my previous blog message I mentioned how disappointed I was that the NBA 2K11 My Player doesn't really have a developed end game for the player.  It's up to the players themselves to create and ending and finish the game in style.

Instead of coming up with an ending.. I decided to just re-invent my character from a 5'9" point guard (nickname:  Shorty) into a beastly 7'5" center (nickname:  The Beast!).  He got drafted in the first round!  Quite a difference from the first time I played the game haha.  The problem is... I'm not entirely sure what my center's role will be on the team.. for the most part.. for now... most of the time I'm setting up picks & screens, and blocking & rebounding.  The times I do get to take a shot at the basket is when I'm able to dunk or layup...  (FYI it looks so weird dunking at such a huge height.. hardly have to jump to dunk.. and when he does those super dunk moves.. he does them inhumanly fast lol)

I remember the game mentioning that I get less points to spend if I make my character super tall.. but I don't know if it CAPS my MAXIMUMs for each skill... or if it caps the amount of skill points I get per game/drill.  I can see how capping my skill max's would make sense.. but damn.. my guy is so darn slow! 

Can anyone help me out with my two above/below queries? :D 

1. What does an Athletic Center do mostly (will I have to accept that I won't be doing as much scoring? :( - Some Centers lead their teams in scoring though right? :D)
    2. Does max'ing my character's height cap his maximum skill points lower than it would be, or does it cap the amount of skill points he gets per game/drill?

Thanks ;D
    JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By JCTango

Heh, turns out all I needed was some more skill points for my guy.  While he's not lightning quick he can certainly break some ankles on occasion. 

I've already completed... well.. half a season with him.  I decided to make him play for my home team and bring in a "real" center for the Raptors :).  On my rookie year (at 52 overall rating), I've already won the championship with supposedly the worst team in the league haha.  I also managed to snag my Jordan shoe too!  My previous experience in playing the game probably helped a lot, though.  I found that when I tried to push the dunk with him a lot.. it was really tough since he can't drive as fast as my point guard.  So, I've been setting up A LOT of picks to help create some plays for my team.  Sometimes, those plays include me driving to the basket to draw fouls or getting layups/dunks :).  It's definitely a lot different than playing point guard, and it's pretty fun.  Being a defensive terror is also pretty awesome; swatting shots, dunks, and layups and just being an intimidating tower for my team seems to helps heaps!  I'm not getting 30 points a game yet, but averaging about 10-15 points a game or so, but that's ok.. I'll get there :).  Helping my team get into a good rhythm is better than personal stats I think, especially as a center.

I wonder how different it would be if my character was a power forward instead.. maybe he'd be a lot quicker and offensive on the court..  That being said, I wonder what will my gameplay be like for my center when his stats are all capped xD.

Time will tell.

PS:  During the second half of the season, when my guy got picked up, we started to win a lot more games.. and for some reason, Raptors management kept on firing the coach, saying we were losing too badly, even though we were actually winning!  Very strange bug.... I kept showing up at interviews with an empty seat to my left heh.  I think we went through like 7 or 8 coaches until we hit the playoffs.

PPS:  Playoffs were ridiculously hard at the beginning for the Eastern Division for me with the Raptors.. the Heat and the Celtics were insanely tough heh.  Went to game 6 with Heat and game 7 with Celtics.  Kevin Garnett is a tough one to beat.  The finals were between the Raptors and the Spurs.  It wasn't that tough, but had to battle back from a 2-0 deficit.

Edit:  Starting to learn post-play.  Wow.. you can seriously rack up a lot of points if you're good in the post xD!  It sorta slows the game down, but it's sorta neat to see all the moves you can do.. sorta complex too, unless you do the same moves over and over... good break from constantly looking at the same dunks heh.  I'm starting to get the backdown+dropstep+dunk/layup combo down.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.