Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Moonlighter

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released May 29, 2018

Be a craftsman shopkeeper by day and secretly a dungeon-crawling adventurer by night in Moonlighter.

Every Adventure Has To Pay Off

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Bane

Hey all,

I watched a bit of Moonlighter on Twitch and it seems pretty neat. You play as a shopkeeper named Will. At night you go adventuring and during the day you sell the loot in your shop.

I'd never heard of it until a couple of days ago and there's nothing about it here on GB so I figured I'd mention it.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

mmm i might check this out. This seems like right up my alley thanks for mentioning it.

chebbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By chebbles

Just played this for 4 hours this evening and the game is pretty good but has the loop sets itself up pretty early on and that may make or break it for some people. It's got those roguelite trappings of procedural dungeons with tilesets you are going to recognise after 3 or 4 visits, and you will be repeating the dungeons quite a few times to get the items you need for upgrading gear and weapons. Also, the shop part is very simple, I have done well by simply selling items for a fairly low price and raising them by small increments until you reach the point where the customers buy it happily at a certain price. I am enjoying it, but I have found it fairly easy having already finished two of the five dungeons without much problem. The combat is also a bit clunky and lacking, unfortunately, I have found the spear to be the most viable weapon as it can reach through barriers to hit enemies while they cannot attack you through the barriers.

I would recommend watching a stream or wait for GB to quick look it to figure out if it is for you, I can already feel the repetition setting in. It reminds me very much of Recattear, the most obvious comparison, though it has been years since I played that so can't remember how the combat was in that game. Think it will become a podcast game for me.

Edit: I should add too that it is a great looking game, the pixel art is top notch.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Looks cool, I'll check it out when it's out on the Switch (developer's twitter says Switch version is on it's way).

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@chebbles: I just started playing, but do you know if there is a good way to look at item prices and demand when you're listing them? It seems pretty clunky to be at the item placement screen and then have to back out and go to a completely different menu to look at pricing, only to have to go back to the original menu to actually sell the thing. I might just be missing it but that part alone feels like it is going to get pretty annoying and fast.

chebbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: Yeah, that took me a while to figure out too. When you are in the menus you can press Right Trigger (I am using a 360 pad on the PC) and it highlights the item your cursor is on and shows you the price and demand information. Then just press Left Trigger to go back to the item menu. Hopefully that helps you!

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This sounds like Recettear

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked it up on GOG last night. It threw an "Installation Failed" message at about 95% complete. I tried closing/reopening GOG Galaxy, and deleting/reinstalling the game. No luck. Has anyone experienced this with GOG Galaxy before?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@chebbles said:

@mike: Yeah, that took me a while to figure out too. When you are in the menus you can press Right Trigger (I am using a 360 pad on the PC) and it highlights the item your cursor is on and shows you the price and demand information. Then just press Left Trigger to go back to the item menu. Hopefully that helps you!

Thanks...actually I'm already done with the game. It has some interesting ideas and looks cool, but man is it repetitive and shallow. I got through the first dungeon and called it quits, I'll probably never go back to it.

chebbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: Yeah, if you are not really liking it now then don't keep going. I have just got to the fourth dungeon and it hasn't changed, except the items you can put in the shop get me more money and I need to grind more to upgrade my armour and weapon. I am going to finish because I am enjoying it enough, but know it is another Iconoclasts that I am really disappointed in.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By soulcake

So is it just me or is this game super repetitive ?

chebbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah...I have decided I am done with this game, just had another half hour play and it froze at the end of a dungeon with lots of gear, I can't do that again haha. I really wish it was better, but every part of the gameplay loop is just too shallow to be really enjoyable, and there is not enough variation in dungeon layout like Binding of Isacc or Enter the Gungeon to make the roguelite aspect that exciting.

Nekromantix87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pretty much echo the same thoughts. I originally saw the game streamed on Twitch before its release and thought it was a neat-o idea. Then I bought the game day one, played the hell out of it, and got bored almost immediately. Money becomes meaningless quickly, which makes the whole shop and crafting aspects of the game inconsequential. Who cares what things are worth? Just find a value that sells, ignore supply and demand and throw it up for sale. People will buy it -- rinse, lather, repeat. It's better to sell things for less than they're worth than spend dumb amounts of time finding out what customers want to spend in an effort to make 10% more on any given day. And as was mentioned already, the dungeon loop quickly becomes boring -- it deteriorates into ignoring the first couple of floors, aside from gaining loot that stacks to ten to utilize for the cursed items in level three.

Maybe I messed up by watching it on Twitch first.

I just know I came away from the experience wanting to play the Binding of Isaac again.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of my friends has it on PS4, I tried 2 hours. It's a solid game with a good amount of polish, but I can see the store/dungeon loop getting repetitive. Mostly Moonlighter just makes me wanna play Stardew Valley.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I've wanted to pick this up but the complaints about bugs makes me want to wait. Anyone here run in to many bugs?

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still haven't played it yet. It took a bit for GOG support and I to get the game installed. Just in case someone else runs into the same issue: Galaxy was unable to install the required Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables because it required a restart (of the PC I think, English isn't their native language).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.