Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter: World

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 26, 2018

The fifth primary title in the Monster Hunter franchise features much larger maps, seamless transitions between zones in the map and four-player online co-op. It allows players from Japan and western countries to play together for the first time in the series.

Percentage of raw and elemental damage

Crayzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Whenever we damage monsters, there are damage number being displayed which I always assume is the sum of raw damage and elemental damage(someone please correct me if I'm wrong here). Is the damage 50-50 of raw and elemental? If I have a dragon element weapon and fought monster with 3 star weakness to dragon, how does it affect the total overall damage with raw included?

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By vortextk

Elemental damage is a base added to every swing you do, based on a bunch of math like sharpness/monster weakness/elemental attack value and other junk. The faster the weapon the better elemental is because it's a (usual slight) extra damage per attack, it doesn't matter if you're hitting with a slight chop on a great sword or a fully charged true charged slash; the elemental bonus for the same weapon will be the same extra damage every swing(actually, almost always the same, very few couple exceptions). This is why on almost every middle to slow swinging weapon, non-elemental jewel and raw is much better over elemental damage weapons.

Elemental hits can not crit(affinity) without the armor bonus giving you that ability. Even when they can crit, I don't think they're affected by crit boost. Crits naturally do 25% more damgae and you can get that up to 40%, but I think this boost only applies to non elemental damage.

As for your specific example, you'd have to run the full math on your weapon, sharpness and all monster values to understand how much that monster is taking from your dragon weapon. Elemental damage very often isn't worth it though.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

On top of what Vortex said, you can usually eyeball elemental damage by taking the value on the weapon/10.

So a weapon with 240 dragon will do 24 before resistancees. 150 = 15 and so on. If you compare that to the raw attack of weapons which will usually be somewhere around 190-210 for a lategame weapon, then you'll see that the vast majority is physical damage. It's more like 10%, but probably less than that even. Definitely not 50%

Crayzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@tobbrobb:

Thanks. So at most, elemental damage only represent around 10% of the damage displayed while the rest are pretty much raw damage.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.