Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

What's Wrong with MW2

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Edited By Bass

I just want to start this blog off by saying that I believe MW2 is fun game. I still play it quite often and, having adjusted my playstyle to its flaws, I still do quite well. However, there are a good many things wrong with this game. Here's a list of some of the more important things:
    1. Spawn System - The COD series has never been known for having a great spawn system. Spawn trapping in COD 4 was easy, and the domination game type was absolutely controlled by this mentality. That said, the spawn system in MW2 is far worse than COD4. If you're playing a rush class, and you happen to get into the enemy team's spawn and kill a few guys, you have to be absolutely aware that they will probably spawn directly behind you and shoot you in the back. This doesn't make sense because MW2 has large maps. It is totally reasonable to expect their spawn to switch if you are directly in the middle of it. Revenge killing has never been so easy than in MW2.
    2. Commando (or the knifing system in general) - The knife in MW2 is more powerful than the gun. This isn't because of the fact that its a one hit kill. It's because of the lunging system that comes with the knife. When you knife in MW2, you become invincible for that split second of time that you are lunging towards your enemy. If I'm shooting someone in the face, even while they are lunging at me, I expect them to die. In MW2, they don't. That's an issue. Commando really only magnifies this issue.
    3. One Man Army Noob Tube/ Danger Close - We have all seen this class before. I don't really think I need to explain its effectiveness. What makes this class overpowered is the skill required to use it vs. its overall effectiveness. Not to mention the additional effectiveness of killstreak rewards when using Danger Close Pro. 
    4. The UMP - The UMP rapes. Why is this gun so effective? It is always, regardless of perks or attachments, a 3 shot kill. If you use Stopping power, it's a 2 shot kill in very CQB situations, but this isn't necessary. This SMG is effectively a better long range weapon than the ACR and M4. The reason for this is because the weapon has virtually no damage fall-off at range. It goes from being a 40 damage weapon(point blank) to a 35 damage weapon (any distance). The MP5K, by comparison goes from 40 damage to 20 (The M4 and ACR go from 30 to 20). This is why, on average, 5/10 people in SnD use marathon/ any perk here/ Ninja w/ the UMP. 

I believe that this is what is wrong with MW2. The most important and frustrating issue is the spawn system, by far. Feel free to let me know what you think.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Bass

I just want to start this blog off by saying that I believe MW2 is fun game. I still play it quite often and, having adjusted my playstyle to its flaws, I still do quite well. However, there are a good many things wrong with this game. Here's a list of some of the more important things:
    1. Spawn System - The COD series has never been known for having a great spawn system. Spawn trapping in COD 4 was easy, and the domination game type was absolutely controlled by this mentality. That said, the spawn system in MW2 is far worse than COD4. If you're playing a rush class, and you happen to get into the enemy team's spawn and kill a few guys, you have to be absolutely aware that they will probably spawn directly behind you and shoot you in the back. This doesn't make sense because MW2 has large maps. It is totally reasonable to expect their spawn to switch if you are directly in the middle of it. Revenge killing has never been so easy than in MW2.
    2. Commando (or the knifing system in general) - The knife in MW2 is more powerful than the gun. This isn't because of the fact that its a one hit kill. It's because of the lunging system that comes with the knife. When you knife in MW2, you become invincible for that split second of time that you are lunging towards your enemy. If I'm shooting someone in the face, even while they are lunging at me, I expect them to die. In MW2, they don't. That's an issue. Commando really only magnifies this issue.
    3. One Man Army Noob Tube/ Danger Close - We have all seen this class before. I don't really think I need to explain its effectiveness. What makes this class overpowered is the skill required to use it vs. its overall effectiveness. Not to mention the additional effectiveness of killstreak rewards when using Danger Close Pro. 
    4. The UMP - The UMP rapes. Why is this gun so effective? It is always, regardless of perks or attachments, a 3 shot kill. If you use Stopping power, it's a 2 shot kill in very CQB situations, but this isn't necessary. This SMG is effectively a better long range weapon than the ACR and M4. The reason for this is because the weapon has virtually no damage fall-off at range. It goes from being a 40 damage weapon(point blank) to a 35 damage weapon (any distance). The MP5K, by comparison goes from 40 damage to 20 (The M4 and ACR go from 30 to 20). This is why, on average, 5/10 people in SnD use marathon/ any perk here/ Ninja w/ the UMP. 

I believe that this is what is wrong with MW2. The most important and frustrating issue is the spawn system, by far. Feel free to let me know what you think.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Infinity Ward- "Better luck next time!"

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Bass:  The MW2 multiplayer is like the unloved bastard son of shooter multiplayer games as we know them.... its a fucking mess made FOR noobs and assholes. its quite obvious. 

For me MW2 is nothing more than a dazzling Single Player adventure :) 
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @Bass said:
    I think this is more of an issue of lag, not invincibility.  I've had knife runners kill me when I clearly shot a shotgun first on my end, and I've been killed as a knife runner when I clearly stabbed before they shot.  Lag is also the reason why I'll sometimes be getting shot, run around the corner behind a wall, think I'm safe because I'm out of their sight again, and then promptly die because from their end they really killed me two steps ago.
    Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bass
    @SpaceInsomniac said:
    " @Bass said:
    I think this is more of an issue of lag, not invincibility.  I've had knife runners kill me when I clearly shot a shotgun first on my end, and I've been killed as a knife runner when I clearly stabbed before they shot.  Lag is also the reason why I'll sometimes be getting shot, run around the corner behind a wall, think I'm safe because I'm out of their sight again, and then promptly die because from their end they really killed me two steps ago. "
    Oh I forgot to add bad netcode to my list of issues. I've gone back and played CoD 4 recently and there were no such (consistent) lag issues. That said, the lunge is very much a part of the game with or without lag.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By natetodamax

Also, killstreaks.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By FengShuiGod

The fundamental problem with MW2's multiplayer is that it isn't Counter Strike.

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By bigsmoke77
    @SpaceInsomniac: Call of duty games are decided by who is host and good connection.  

@Bass:  Great list but you can't fix spawning in my opinion with 6-6 TDM or anything like that other than have a wait time like hardcore mode in which what usually happens is that if your whole team dies you change spawn location but that can't happen in regular because everyone presses x as soon as they die. I would get rid of commando and change it so marthon and lightweight have no affect when you have a secondary weapon equiped, this would stop people from running around with tac knifes and shotties which i find annoying and game breaking.
    Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Sanryd
    @natetodamax said:
    " Also, killstreaks. "
    Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Forever

my only problem with mw2 is noob tubes. GOD DAMN YOU NOOB TUBES

Assualt rifles should require like 200 kills or something before they are unlocked and have one shot. Nothing else has really posed a problem to me.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bass

Killstreaks are only a problem to people that don't shoot them down.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By ArchScabby

Too many lizards.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Hackers. Kill Streaks.

Avatar image for mercurycrusader
    MercuryCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MercuryCrusader
    @FengShuiGod said:
    "The fundamental problem with MW2's multiplayer is that it isn't Quake 3. "

Fixed that for ya.
    ColMirage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ColMirage
    @Forever said:
    "  Assault rifles  "
    Fixed.
    Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bass
    @bigsmoke77 said:
    "@Bass:  Great list but you can't fix spawning in my opinion with 6-6 TDM or anything like that other than have a wait time like hardcore mode in which what usually happens is that if your whole team dies you change spawn location but that can't happen in regular because everyone presses x as soon as they die.
    I don't know. COD 4 had a better spawn system. Even though it wasn't great, if they somehow were able to implement that spawn system back into MW2 i would be happier.
    Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bionicicide

My problem with the spawn system is that whenever there's a Chopper Gunner or AC-130 in the air, it 90% of the time spawns me with teammates who don't use Cold Blooded (I do, why the hell won't you people too?!).

Avatar image for deactivated-5a06726367912
    deactivated-5a06726367912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought MW2 was quite good.

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Interfect

Ya know whats wrong with MW2? It isn't Battlefield Bad Company 2.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Toxin066

What's wrong with MW2 is the community that plays it.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By mikemcn
    @FengShuiGod said:
    " The fundamental problem with MW2's multiplayer is that it isn't Counter Strike. "
    Lol for me, the fundamental problem with Counter Strike is that it isn't Call of Duty (2)

Hate me if you must, but I just don't get Counter Strike, the mods for it are awesome though.......
    Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Interfect
    @Toxin066 said:
    " What's wrong with MW2 is the community that plays it. "
    that too.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Jadeskye

i rather enjoy MW2 in small doses. can't play it for hours on end though, the bullshit makes me too angry. 

Long story short, underneath all the hacking, glitching, exploiting, overpowered weapons and other bullshit there is a good game there.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By Vinny_Says

-overpowered assault rifles...(when's the last time you saw someone use the Vector?) 
    -one of the worst matchmaking systems...(check the youtube videos of dudes going 95-3, it's not like there's any way to measure skill)
    -overpowered killstreaks...(the Stinger is only unlocked at level 30, the ATHS4 takes two shots to take down a harrier, and you only get one per life)
    -a kill/death system much too dependent on a good connection
    -a community of boosters and 12 year olds you can't filter out of games...(refer to my matchmaking comment)
    -it's not call of duty 4

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@SpaceInsomniac said:
    " @Bass said:
    I think this is more of an issue of lag, not invincibility.  I've had knife runners kill me when I clearly shot a shotgun first on my end, and I've been killed as a knife runner when I clearly stabbed before they shot.  Lag is also the reason why I'll sometimes be getting shot, run around the corner behind a wall, think I'm safe because I'm out of their sight again, and then promptly die because from their end they really killed me two steps ago. "
    I want to agree with this. There are times when I'll unload several shots into an enemy, clearly hitting their target, then I'll get killed and watch from their killcam that none of my shots damaged my enemy.  

The netcode is bonkers. But Commando is sort of stupid in its own right. It does basically infinite damage, and giving knife users a Halo-Energy-Sword-like lunge doesn't help matters at all.  
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By thatfrood
    @FengShuiGod said:
    " The fundamental problem with MW2's multiplayer is that it isn't Counter Strike. "
    @MercuryCrusader said:
    " @FengShuiGod said:
    "The fundamental problem with MW2's multiplayer is that it isn't Quake 3. "
    Fixed that for ya. "
    Neither of you are wrong. In fact, you're the most right people in this thread.
    faustyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By faustyn
    @blacklabeldomm said:

" -overpowered assault rifles...(when's the last time you saw someone use the Vector?)   

ahahahaha. yeah :DDD this is one of the funniest comments i've seen on this forum so far :D cheers dude. 

anyways. 

@Bass

said: 

" I just want to start this blog off by saying that I believe MW2 is fun game. I still play it quite often and, having adjusted my playstyle to its flaws, I still do quite well. However, there are a good many things wrong with this game. Here's a list of some of the more important things: 1. Spawn System - The COD series has never been known for having a great spawn system. Spawn trapping in COD 4 was easy, and the domination game type was absolutely controlled by this mentality. That said, the spawn system in MW2 is far worse than COD4. If you're playing a rush class, and you happen to get into the enemy team's spawn and kill a few guys, you have to be absolutely aware that they will probably spawn directly behind you and shoot you in the back. This doesn't make sense because MW2 has large maps. It is totally reasonable to expect their spawn to switch if you are directly in the middle of it. Revenge killing has never been so easy than in MW2. 2. Commando (or the knifing system in general) - The knife in MW2 is more powerful than the gun. This isn't because of the fact that its a one hit kill. It's because of the lunging system that comes with the knife. When you knife in MW2, you become invincible for that split second of time that you are lunging towards your enemy. If I'm shooting someone in the face, even while they are lunging at me, I expect them to die. In MW2, they don't. That's an issue. Commando really only magnifies this issue. 3. One Man Army Noob Tube/ Danger Close - We have all seen this class before. I don't really think I need to explain its effectiveness. What makes this class overpowered is the skill required to use it vs. its overall effectiveness. Not to mention the additional effectiveness of killstreak rewards when using Danger Close Pro.  4. The UMP - The UMP rapes. Why is this gun so effective? It is always, regardless of perks or attachments, a 3 shot kill. If you use Stopping power, it's a 2 shot kill in very CQB situations, but this isn't necessary. This SMG is effectively a better long range weapon than the ACR and M4. The reason for this is because the weapon has virtually no damage fall-off at range. It goes from being a 40 damage weapon(point blank) to a 35 damage weapon (any distance). The MP5K, by comparison goes from 40 damage to 20 (The M4 and ACR go from 30 to 20). This is why, on average, 5/10 people in SnD use marathon/ any perk here/ Ninja.    I believe that this is what is wrong with MW2. The most important and frustrating issue is the spawn system, by far. Feel free to let me know what you think. "

spawns system is fucked. commando is super fucked. one man army is broken but i don't care because i play search and destroy so no one is using OMA there. 

now the ump...don't get me started on that piece of shit. this gun is terrible in other games (have fun trying to kill someone with it in counter-strike). this gun is probably terrible in real life (romanian border patrol is using it...wait what?). but in mw2 it's apparently the best thing ever. i don't understand the logic behind it. it's amazing in CQB situations and even more amazing at long distances. who is responsible for this? why?! also why the fuck is hardcore search still called hc search and destroy. they should rename it to HARDCORE UMP & THUMPER RUSH.  

oh and the marathon/ump/ninja situation you're talking about...it's stupid. i blame youtube for that ( nextgentactics or some other bunch of morons making movies about rushing in s&d) and iw (making the UMP+marathon+lightweight+ninja A DEFAULT CLASS).

besides all those things the community is the biggest problem. 12 year old kids who camp in team deathmatch and rush in search with their umps. it's mental and pathetic. i can't wait for halo reach.
    twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28  Edited By twenty0ne

Number three is the only thing bad enough that it takes the enjoyment out of playing the game for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Toxin066 said:
    " What's wrong with MW2 is the community that plays it. "
    this is so true. I think the point is, it's designed so that the people who play it are the people who play it. The Battlefield community is very different because people who can't cope with getting 10 kills a minute get bored and don't play it.
    SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By SumDeus

I thought the MW2 rants were over by now.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By iam3green

what wrong with mw2 is the weapons. pretty much everything that u said. UMP is like an assault rifle. when it is actually a submission gun. commando pro can get annoying sometimes. sometimes it is a duel to kill people with knifes. noob tubes is a big problem. it pisses everyone off that plays the game.

Avatar image for aestheticsynthesis
    AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SumDeus said:
    " I thought the MW2 rants were over by now. "
    It's man's desire and right to bitch. This is all pretty old hat.
     I still love the game and I play it competitively, but I customized my playstyle to center around winning (without noobtubes and OMA). For a more serious game I suggest picking up Bad Company 2 and laying these arguments to rest for god's sake.
    NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NickL
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    ". its a fucking mess made FOR noobs and assholes. its quite obvious.  )  "
    as a fan of the multiplayer, i would like to say
    fuck you
    W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
    @iam3green:  Why can you never spell "you". Ever time I read your posts it bothers me.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By iam3green
    @W0lfbl1tzers said:
    " @iam3green:  Why can you never spell "you". Ever time I read your posts it bothers me. "
    sorry grammar nazi :( I'll make sure that I start to use u as you. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e95ba42dcd
    deactivated-5d9e95ba42dcd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quit bitching about the UMP and just use it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.