Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Thoughts on pre-fire?

mr_korean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mr_korean

Recently got into 3 highrise demolition games and like most people, I hit the prefire spot and got some quick easy kills. I started feeling like it was cheap. Your thoughts?

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Sarumarine

Are we talking about a general area to shoot in hopes that newly spawned people run out and get gunned down in first few seconds of the map? I've seen it dozens of times, no one seems to have a problem with doing it. It's easy enough to avoid if you assume it's going to happen every single game and wait a few seconds before running out into obvious kill zones.

The only thing that's a little trickier to dodge is when someone mortars the start zone on a map like Karachi. Grenades falling from the air are a little less predictable. But I guess that's a little harder to pull off too.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hitchenson

...huh? As in shooting a certain spot as soon as the game starts? Sure, why not? It's annoying to be on the receiving end of and I wouldn't do it myself. But I'm yet to encounter one that I can't avoid simply enough. 

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mikemcn

Who decided on the word Prefire? 

And no, its pretty easy to avoid.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Baillie

My definition of pre-fire would be if you knew someone was about to come round a corner, for example. I would aim my gun there then pre-fire before they got in the position so my bullets would hit before they started to fire at me? 

This spawn camping/pre-fire sounds bullshit. If that's what you do mean, then yes, I'd say that's pretty cheap.

mr_korean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mr_korean

I don't know who coined the word 'prefire' pretty sure i heard it from somebody on machinima or whatnot. But yeah, like shooting at a crack in the map and hoping for a kill in the beginning of the match. Sure it's easy to avoid but is it fair to the people who aren't aware of that spot and don't learn not to do that?

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By ArchScabby

If you get killed by it you deserve it anyway.  It's the easiest thing in the world to avoid.  If you've played the map  more then once you know where those spots are, and that if you go there you might get shot.

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SoothsayerGB

Of course its fair.  How else are they going to learn?  You want to hold every new players hand and show them all the places the mean people can touch them? 

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By turbomonkey138

haha this is the reason Street fighter4 hasn't over taken modern warfare 2 on the most posted list . People make threads on anything and everything about MW2 .

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wickedsc3

I know what ur talking about and i really dont think its not fair i mean anyone can do it ive got some kills doing it but usually i just avoid it and head for the stairs.  I mean u get hit there once u know to avoid it.
    meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By meptron

lol. you would think the victims would clue in eventually.... but there's always some retard(s) who goes running off to get killed right off the bat.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By evanbrau

Easiest thing in the world to avoid, literally just hang back a bit at the start of the map and it won't happen even if someone is tubing with danger close all the spawn shotting seems to count on the enemy team moving forward a bit.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#14  Edited By Draugen

I'm morally opposed to it, but that doesn't stop me from doing it myself.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By superfriend

This is pretty much the same as people tossing all their grenades at a single spot as soon as the match starts (I don´t know if that´s called pre-nading or something). Eventually you know not to rush in on the opposing team or the objective.
    Spawn camping is a bit different. There are some shitty spawns in MW2, like anything on highrise´s outside, so it´s pretty easy to score some cheap kills. As long as the game doesn´t prevent this, it ain´t cheating- but a "regular" kill still feels a lot better.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By gunslingerNZ
    @bitcloud said:

" Pre-fire I first heard in COD 2. Basically let's say you are running in a trench and there is a 90 degree turn to your left. Instead of just walking or running left, you make that turn already shooting expecting someone to be there.  "

This is the correct usage of the term.

Also no this isn't a problem for me since my general philosophy in COD online is to run away from my team mates. It pisses me off no end when people stick to me like a magnet because it just makes us a bigger target.
    xXShnookXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xXShnookXx

To me, if you're on Highrise, it's like a showdown at the beginning of the game. Especially for snipers.  It's kind of like 'who has the faster trigger finger'? 

Pretty much everyone knows that at least 2 or 3 people do this on this map and it's so easy to avoid. 

So, no, I don't think it's cheap in this case.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.