Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Counter-UAV vs. Care Package

asdfghasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By asdfghasdf

I'm not that good a player, so I usually stick with UAV and Predator being two of my killstreaks. It's the 4-kill one that I'm not entirely sure about.

I've been using the care package for a while now, but I'm interested to learn more about how effective the counter-UAV is based on other people's experiences. Do you rely on the mini-map a lot? How disadvantageous is it to not have a working mini-map, and how much does it benefit my team if the enemies are 'blind'?

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ArchScabby

counter UAV suuuucks.  Well maybe not that much, but half the care packages you get are counter UAV's anyway so I would say just go with care package.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By StarFoxA

Care Package all the way. Although you have a chance of getting something crappy, I've gotten a ton of AC130s and Chopper Gunners from Care Packages.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Gabriel

If your going to go the care package route, be sure to equip Tactical Insertion.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By beargirl1

no matter what, i always have the care package kill streak on. it's my favorite (next to emergency airdrop) and it's surprising at times. 

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By tebbit
    @StarFoxA said:
    " Care Package all the way. Although you have a chance of getting something crappy, I've gotten a ton of AC130s and Chopper Gunners from Care Packages. "
    An AC130 in a care package is the sweetest crime of all.
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By StarFoxA
    @Tebbit said:
    " @StarFoxA said:
    " Care Package all the way. Although you have a chance of getting something crappy, I've gotten a ton of AC130s and Chopper Gunners from Care Packages. "
    An AC130 in a care package is the sweetest crime of all. "
    I got one when the infinite ammo glitch was rampant. It was oh so sweet.
    lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By lead_farmer

I remember my first care package.  It killed me because I am an idiot who decided to stand in the red smoke.
    You should put care package and then sentry gun so you can throw two red smoke.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bass

Counter-UAV is great if you like winning. Care Package is great if you like getting kills. 
    I find that when I roll UAV, Counter-UAV and something else like harrier or pavelow, my team wins more often because we constantly have uav up and the other team is blind

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10  Edited By Sarumarine

I thought about Counter-UAV myself for a bit. I'm a little reluctant to use it because I'm not sure how dependent other players are on the map. I suppose the best use of it would be in games like Domination and Capture the Flag where location coordination is important. But I go with the Care Package because I'm not really that great at this game but love playing it. Sometimes you can do crazy stuff with a Care Package. I double stacked Attack Helicopters one game. First I got one from a Care Package and then I got one with enough kills and it was pretty awesome. Or like other posters have said, you get an AC-130, Chopper Gunner, or Stealth Bomber early in the match and do some damage. I've only gotten EMP once but it was a lifesaver. 

If you use Hardline you could play a pretty mean support role in some games. Quickly get a UAV, a Counter-UAV, and then Predator Missile no one can see coming.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bass: Same here, I don't play much anymore, but when I used to I always went with Harrier/UAV/Counter-UAV and our team usually constantly had a UAV with the other team blind a bunch.  It helps a lot more than you think, especially in objective modes.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DystopiaX

if you're a selfish player, skip counter UAV and roll Silencer+ninja.

CylonHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By CylonHunter

i find i use the map on my screen to see where my team-mates are and get really annoyed when someone uses counter uav. 
    but i would still chose the care package because of the awesome stuff you can get

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Alexander

I hardly use either, care packages aren't guaranteed to be any good and they take you out of the action, leave you vulnerable when collecting. Any kills you get from resultant killstreak rewards don't count toward your killstreak. As for Counter UAV, if I'm not using Cold Blooded then I'm probably using Stopping Power and I can shoot them down pretty easily. 

Better off starting with Predator, then an air unit, then AC-130 / Chopper Gunner.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By TheHT

Counter UAV is great! Save it up for when the op uses a UAV.

*Enemy UAV spotted!*
    "Enjoy your static bitches!"
    *Counter-UAV is up, they're blind!*

Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ben99
    all those killstreaks suck especially the care package that will slow you down and potentially you'd miss points . Mine is a predator missile , harrier strike, AC-130 . Don't worry you'll reach that killstreak more often if you know where to wreck havoc on the map.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By dbz1995

MODERN WARFARE 2 TACTICS

The Care Package
      A care package is probably one of the riskiest things you can use, and one of the most effective tactically. A care package can drop any killstreak, other than Tactical Nuke, Emergency Airdrop, or Care Package, or ammo, which you can utilise. The best thing about the Care Package is its flexibility-by obtaining any kkillstreak you have a specific situation covered. Need a space to stop being attacked by spawn troopers? A Sentry Gun may be afoot. Need the opponent to fear the outdoors? An AC130 may be there.
     The main problem with the Care Package is that the killstreak is completely random-hell, you might just get ammo. These are the care package drop rates:

14.78% - UAV
    14.78% - Ammo
    13.04% - Counter UAV
    10.43% - Sentry Gun
    10.43% - Predator Missile
    9.57% - Precision Airstrike
    6.09% - Harrier Airstrike
    6.09% - Attack Helicopter
    4.35% - Pave Low
    4.35% - Stealth Airstrike
    2.61% - Chopper Gunner
    2.61% - AC-130
    0.87% - EMP

The greatest weakness of a care package is also an advantage-since the opponent doesn't know what is inside the care package, they are often attracted to it, therefore increasing fire in the care package area. You may not need the ammo, so you leave it and the enemies you kill will make a great contribution to the team.
     However, Care Packages take a fair amount of time to get to your designated area-therefore the enemy obtains information about your whereabouts and can use that to estimate a perimeter around yourself and kick your ass.

COUNTER UAV

The Counter-UAV blocks out the enemies HUD for 30 seconds. Knowing how to use a Counter-UAV is very important-use it randomly and you'll obtain very little reward from it. Counter-UAVs uses are:
    • Blocking out UAVs-the obvious one, and the easiest to do. In specific game modes, like Team Deathmatch and Domination, UAVs are priceless-especially in Domination, as most people use much stronger killstreaks but son't know where you are.
    • Prevention of mass murder by airstrike-This is a bit more difficult and a lot of guesswork should be done to this. Using a Counter-UAV means that your opponent's airstrikes will be in a fairly random area, normally in the centre of the map. The best way to do this is by either keeping a track of how many kills your opponents have (easier to do in Search and Destroy), or by using your killcam as an effective way to see the opponents killstreaks
    • Infiltration-In some games, like Sabotage, you will be able to figure out or know where your opponents spawn place is. By using a Counter-UAV, the opponent won't know you have infiltrated their base until you have got a fair few kills.

Against each other (Counter-UAV vs Care Package), it normally depends which game type. Whilst valuable in Team Deathmatch, Counter-UAVs won't change the game as much as Care Packages, but in games like Sabotage, Counter-UAVs are a great way to attack the enemy base. Care Packages rely on your opponents' tactics-whether they will come or not. 
     It is also dependant on how often you Counter-UAVs/Care Packages. If you get a lot of 4 kill streaks, then you should use Care Packages more often.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iam3green

i would go with care package depending on what game u are playing. a lot of times i get UAV and counter-UAV a lot. there are times where i call in UAV, get the care package to get another UAV. i would only use counter UAV when i'm playing something that needs tactical things.

OpenWideToSwim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By OpenWideToSwim

cool

thejamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By thejamster

a lot of times i put out a care package and its ammo so i decide to leave it there to attract the other team while im in a good spot with a sniper.  But my team will 99% of the time see me throw out the smoke grenade and try to get the package even if i want it or think that i died and dismantle my trap

mr_korean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mr_korean

Personally I like running uav Cuav and predator. My biggest beef with care packages is having to wait like a sitting duck.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By FreakAche

Care package means the possibility of an AC-130 after only four kills. Debate ended.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.