Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Notch vs. Yogscast - A Storm of Tweets

• 93 results
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By MikkaQ

@benpicko said:

@Sooty said:

I still don't understand why the fuck you would want an autograph of some guys that make Minecraft let's plays.

The same reason you'd want to get an interview with somebody who's been in a movie. They're somewhat famous, and they entertain you.

Yeah but one person does something interesting for a living, the other... not so much. Plus there's a galaxy of difference in the level of fame there.

The whole concept of autographs is pretty stupid anyway, I'd rather just chat with someone rather than have them sign useless junk that I'll put on a shelf and never look at again.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By amomjc

Isn't Yogscast the ones that made that really stupid Terraria video?

Bongos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Bongos

I always knew notch was full of it. Good job to the Yogscast of being the better man in all this.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By CL60

Notch seems like an ass.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By benpicko

After reading the Yogscast's reply, I think Notch looks like an idiot. Seriously, selling off their panel to IGN without telling them? WTF.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Akrid

I love the yogscast, but they've always struck me as totally thoughtless people. I'd guess that everything Notch has claimed is true to some extent.

That said, it's petty of him to attack their livelihood over this, accidentally or no.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#57  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @McGhee said:
    I can't take anyone serious that calls himself "Notch".
    Your name is no longer grey and obnoxiously long and underscore-infested. You're no fun anymore.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@Murray said:

I believe I read that Notch hadn't been sleeping like at all, when he wrote that + he's prolly pretty stressed out. So maybe he just overreacted? I mean, at least when I'm not feeling well I get cranky as shit. I really don't think that Yogscast are such big assholes as Notch wrote.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @benpicko said:

After reading the Yogscast's reply, I think Notch looks like an idiot. Seriously, selling off their panel to IGN without telling them? WTF.

Reddit reply 

Video 

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By McGhee
    @AhmadMetallic said:
    Your name is no longer grey and obnoxiously long and underscore-infested. You're no fun anymore.
    Notch gets away with it. Why can't I? Do you know he use to go by "Just_Another_Notch_in_My_Belt" before he got all rich and internet famous?
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#61  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @McGhee said:
    @AhmadMetallic said:
    Notch gets away with it. Why can't I? Do you know he use to go by "Just_Another_Notch_in_My_Belt" before he got all rich and internet famous?
    You make a good case.
    benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By benpicko

Notch responded to the reddit thread with 'Fair Enough.'

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    heat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By heat

Guy also dropped $5,000 on a watch and then went on to spend $10,000 on a charity auction. Literally trying to buy himself good press with that auction

PokeIkzai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By PokeIkzai

Man are there idiots on twitter defending Yogcast. "YOU LIED ADMIT IT NOTCH YOU LIEEEED" it's like... grow up. Please?

EDIT: They aren't idiots for defending Yogcast. It's how they're going about it. Poor wording on my end. Sorry.

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By SoothsayerGB

Simon and Lewis should have stayed behind the curtain. Along with cynical Brit.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By CL60

I'm very confused as to why he said all of that if it wasn't true. It either happened, he took jokes too seriously, or he's an ass and lied about it. I have serious doubts that being tired and stressed can cause you to have hallucinations of random people being rude.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#68  Edited By butano

@SamFo said:

@Sooty: i still dont understand why there is a minecraft convention!

Yea, same here.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By MiniPato

@CL60 said:

I'm very confused as to why he said all of that if it wasn't true. It either happened, he took jokes too seriously, or he's an ass and lied about it. I have serious doubts that being tired and stressed can cause you to have hallucinations of random people being rude.

It could very well have been hearsay. He probably already didn't like the Yogscast for whatever reason and took rumors to be true since it supported his dislike for them.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By adoggz

@Butano said:

@SamFo said:

Yea, same here.

cause the guy who made minecraft wanted to have one.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By august

Okay, so... yogscast wasn't paid to come, then Mojang sold the video of the panel to IGN?

That's pretty fucked up!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By CL60
    @august said:

Okay, so... yogscast wasn't paid to come, then Mojang sold the video of the panel to IGN?

That's pretty fucked up!

Then Notch proceeded to bash Yogscast with things that apparently never even happened.
    benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By benpicko

@CL60 said:

@august said:

That's pretty fucked up!

Then Notch proceeded to bash Yogscast with things that apparently never even happened.

And then he had a go at them for swearing in their panel, even though they rehearsed it in front of of Mojang and they said it was fine.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@august said:

That's pretty fucked up!

For real, that is shitty.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#75  Edited By fobwashed

@benpicko said:

@Sooty said:

I still don't understand why the fuck you would want an autograph of some guys that make Minecraft let's plays.

The same reason you'd want to get an interview with somebody who's been in a movie. They're somewhat famous, and they entertain you.

I don't understand the whole autograph thing in general. Aside from increasing the value of something to sell it to people who care about that kind of stuff (which again I don't get), the autograph seems sorta crazy. Especially nowadays when every phone has a camera. I do understand the want to have a connection to someone you admire or respect but the idea of attaining that through a scribble of a pen seems sorta. . . I dunno, desperate? I'd say one of the people I'd love to meet the most would be Miyamoto, and if someone had say a DS signed by him, I'd think more along the lines of "that's so cool that you got to meet him" over "oh man, I wish I had a signed DS". I don't want a signed DS (aside from again, being able to sell it to people who would pay), I want to meet Miyamoto. Meh.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#76  Edited By Vexxan
    @Sooty said:

This.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Fobwashed said:

@benpicko said:

@Sooty said:

I don't understand the whole autograph thing in general. Aside from increasing the value of something to sell it to people who care about that kind of stuff (which again I don't get), the autograph seems sorta crazy. Especially nowadays when every phone has a camera. I do understand the want to have a connection to someone you admire or respect but the idea of attaining that through a scribble of a pen seems sorta. . . I dunno, desperate? I'd say one of the people I'd love to meet the most would be Miyamoto, and if someone had say a DS signed by him, I'd think more along the lines of "that's so cool that you got to meet him" over "oh man, I wish I had a signed DS". I don't want a signed DS (aside from again, being able to sell it to people who would pay), I want to meet Miyamoto. Meh.

It's just a memento of the time you met someone famous(ish) that you admire I would say. I wouldn't really care to have something signed, but I could see why someone would want a memento of the time they met their favorite dude.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By fobwashed

@SamFo said:

Why not? Just a way for people who like something to gather with other people who like what you like. I haven't played the game so while a minecraft convention isn't appealing to me, I'd go to all sorts of stupid themed conventions if they were close by and at the right price. A giant bomb convention for example is something I'd prolly check out. I've been to a comic con a long ass time ago when Jackie Chan was still a thing. I wouldn't mind checking out a Star Trek con if it were close by if only to experience what I've only seen on TV and movies. I do sorta want to go to PAX but it's too far away and too much effort -_-;; Though, I just ranted about not understanding the deal with people wanting autographs so we're both in a state of nonunderstandability =P

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By fobwashed

@xobballox said:

@Fobwashed said:

@benpicko said:

@Sooty said:

It's just a memento of the time you met someone famous(ish) that you admire I would say. I wouldn't really care to have something signed, but I could see why someone would want a memento of the time they met their favorite dude.

Yea, I totally get wanting a memento, but just the autograph in particular seems weird to me. Especially on something that you're not going to like keep or frame or something. Like a mousepad. The only times I've ever gotten anything autographed was at the request of someone else to get it for them or as a joke. I met Fabio at a convention, took a picture with him for my own keepsake and got him to sign a ridiculous picture of him crawling on the beach made out to his biggest fan "Kahvin" which is my friend Kevin, with his name spelled incorrectly. Yea. . . if you're going to keep it or display it, makes a lot more sense. But when it's like, on a scrap of paper, or a mousepad, or some other ridiculous thing that will most likely be trash or totally forgotten in a few weeks. I just don't get it. I'm not against it, or hating on it. Just sayin, iono =P

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By avidwriter

Seems like Notch went off on a little rant rant there and later regretted it.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#81  Edited By Sitoxity

Even with statements from both parties there seems to be something up, since Yogscast say everything was fine and Mojang say they were hard to work with.

It's a shame this has happened and sounds like it was just a misunderstanding that went way out of proportion.

SpacePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By SpacePenguin

Notch actualy just tweeted "Hey,@YogCast! I'm sorry about being a dick."

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Deusx

Here is the response from the Yogscast... I guess Notch acted like a child.

We’re sure many of you have seen or heard about Notch’s post-Minecon tweets, which were not what we expected to see when we got off the plane from Minecon – we’ve had a sleep now and recovered a bit, so this is our response:

We are very disappointed by these tweets from someone we admire and respect. We can understand that it was the morning after the deadmau5 party and Notch was very tired, but we are still fairly upset. The quotes and actions that Notch attributed to us were not said by us or published anywhere by us. Therefore we are surprised and confused about where this stuff has come from - especially since the only time we spoke to Notch was at the interview.

Regarding dropping f-bombs at the show - we apologise for this, but had rehearsed the whole show in front of the organisers and half of Mojang and they had approved it. We were given no guidelines or oversight in the weeks leading up to Minecon and there were ample opportunities at the rehearsal for Mojang to inform us of problems, such as being careful about swearing, which is pretty common in our youtube videos.

Out of all the tweets that Notch sent out, most hurtful was the accusation that we told a kid to “fuck off” and crossed out another signature – which is something we would never ever do.

We loved spending time with fans and were overwhelmed by how many people were there to support us and give us gifts. Simon has enough Jaffas to last him until the middle of 2012. The problem was that Minecon is a new show and organisation was pretty bad, and when we came to the scheduled signing sessions, nothing had been set up for us and we had to scrabble around to fetch tables, ropes and pens ourselves. With some younger kids around, it was our priority to make sure everything was safe, as we have seen injuries in the past.

This lack of organization contributed to long and confused lines and we were heartbroken to have to turn away so many people when we ran out of time. Simon can only handle a certain amount of time between cups of coffee and nicotine tablets before collapsing, but we made a real effort to get out there and managed to do about six hours of signing. Although we were frustrated, we would never have treated fans in the way that Notch suggested we did.

We were also unhappy and surprised that a week before Minecon, Mojang informed us that they had sold the rights to livestream our show and content to IGN – they hadn’t asked us, they hadn’t spoken to us – they just sold it. Because of this, we nearly cancelled the trip, but decided to say “balls to it” and come anyway, because we felt we owed it to the fans. Hannah actually spoke with IGN directly earlier, and they agreed to take their video down and let us put the videos up on our channel, so a big thanks to them for that.

We were not paid, and never demanded to be paid. We asked for some support, and Mojang said they could offer us two hotel rooms for the duration of the stay and a small boardroom to rest in. We spent a huge amount of money on flights, rooms, food and equipment for the 10 people that we brought along to support us, act as security, make videos/posts and generally help out. We also gave away 100 special t-shirts for free.

The reason we came to Minecon is because we wanted to thank you guys and meet the community that we love and are a part of. We couldn’t have gotten to where we are now without you guys, and so we decided to eat the costs of attending and just have fun. This is why we spent our panel giving a voice to loads of talented people that couldn’t attend but have made Minecraft what it is today.

We’re not gonna stop making videos, not going to stop loving you guys, and hopefully we’ll see you at more gaming conventions in the future.

Lewis & Simon & Hannah

Parkingtigers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Parkingtigers

@SpacePenguin said:

Notch actualy just tweeted "Hey,@YogCast! I'm sorry about being a dick."

And then immediately replied to someone else repeating the claims that YOGSCAST swore at kids. He's not admitting to have done anything wrong, he's just regretting the public shitstorm that he created.

Yogscast are correct, he is just a nerd that doesn't know how to run a company. Every single time Notch posts or tweets he digs himself deeper into the hole. The Yogs on the other hand have been nothing but class and graciousness personified in all of this. Which is incredibly big of them considering that they were publicly slandered by Notch while they were flying back to the UK, when they had no way of responding, they had a rabid Notch fan meet them at the airport to abuse them, their site came under a series of DDoS attacks (which is costing them revenue) and their reputations have been damaged and they may not get invited to future events by other companies.

All of this because one big man-baby couldn't stop himself from jumping on Twitter and shouting a bunch of baseless claims, none of which fit with the evidence from Minecon itself. He called them an island of egos, when they spent most of their panel time doing nothing but praising as many members of the modding community as they could. He says they were hard to work with, after they spent thousands of dollars of their own money flying to Vegas, all so they could work for free (and have that work sold on to IGN without their consent).

I've gained huge respect for the people that make silly YouTube videos in all of this affair, but Notch is just coming across as completely inept both socially and professionally. Having a launch party for Minecraft was ridiculous anyway. People spending $100 to celebrate what was basically just a price increase of the game? Because that's all it was. Mojang didn't even leave a competent coder back in Sweden so there was no-one to fix the day one bug that prevented people being able to connect to multiplayer servers.

They are clownshoes, total fucking clownshoes. Shitting all over the most ardent supporters that you have is just indecent on all levels.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Sitoxity said:

Even with statements from both parties there seems to be something up, since Yogscast say everything was fine and Mojang say they were hard to work with.

It's a shame this has happened and sounds like it was just a misunderstanding that went way out of proportion.

It sounds more like Minecon was not set up right. Chances are thats what made it ALL hard. A few people are reporting the con was real unorgnized. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is why indie developers need to hire PR reps.

On an unrelated note -- hey Notch, here's my resume and cover letter.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#87  Edited By mikemcn

Signing autographs must be a mind numbingly boring process.

Rawson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#88  Edited By Rawson

@allworkandlowpay said:

They have a PR rep. It's MinecraftChick.

No, that's not a joke.

Godak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Godak

@Rawson said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

No, that's not a joke.

...What?

I have nothing against people with pink hair, but, guys, she has pink hair.

And it probably doesn't even taste like cotton candy.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Dagbiker

@Godak said:

@Rawson said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

No, that's not a joke.

...What?

If you are a Pr Person, and you are undermined, and invalidated by your boss, then you need to find another job.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60061752a57
    deactivated-5e60061752a57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Swedes are a shifty folk, turn your back for a minute and they'll swipe your monk swag.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#92  Edited By RIDEBIRD

I think what he meant was actual PR rep and not just some chick that digs Minecraft and tweets and, I dunno, ponies.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By MikkaQ

@Godak said:

@Rawson said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

No, that's not a joke.

...What?

Looks like the girl from LazyTown finally got a real job!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.