Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

MGSV Gameplay Videos Thread (No/Limited Spoilers)

• 120 results
    49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By 49th

I didn't know you couldn't interrogate these guys, but then this happened which I thought was pretty cool.

Loading Video...

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@49th: Every enemy has a chance to do that, armored guys are almost guaranteed to; you can tell by whether their triangle turns blue. Even if it does turn blue the game doesn't always give you the tactical takedown though.

Some gameplay spoilers in this one, the fabled entire outpost taken out without firing a single shot and no alerts of any kind:

Loading Video...

I decided to give D-Horse some love, incoming barrage of videos:

First, for some reason D-Horse gives you like 5 more seconds of Reflex:

Loading Video...

Second, apparently you can interrogate someone while mounted:

Loading Video...

And here's a lengthier escapade in the Mansion, it is actually possible to do almost the whole thing while mounted but D-Horse has a tendency to jump off the upper levels and kill you:

Loading Video...

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Nodima
    Loading Video...

Was extracting a prisoner when I notice a guy I hadn't marked, and what do you know, he's an A+, so of course I'm going to extract him...

I think @danryckert would really appreciate if this became a set piece in some future WWE event.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By artelinarose

@nodima: I choked on my drink with how immediate and brutal that was. Perfect.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artelinarose: The sequel to the Tank video of yore (yes the AA gun guy just magically appears):

Loading Video...

Bears don't give a single fuck:

Loading Video...

And sometimes the simple stuff is the most satisfying:

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By mike

Here's a quick FOB defense I did, it was for a random person I picked from the list to support. Grenade launchers just aren't fair, but in this case I could have been armed with a rubber band gun and still killed the intruder. PC version. Skip to 1m00s for the action.

Loading Video...

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mike: The Hail is OP as shit. You just can't see anything when those grenades start slamming into you. Also, for FOB defenses, you should take out someone other than Snake and put on the Battle Dress. People tend to go for headshots far more than the AI does, and Snake doesn't get any helmet choices. As long as you take a fairly crappy trooper out (B rank or so), you don't stand to lose much if they get killed, and you get extra bonuses for using lower rank troops.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mike: I think it's very difficult to not succeed defending but here's a fun way to go about doing it:

Loading Video...

And some random dynamic action:

Loading Video...

The Rocket Punch quota must be met as well:

Loading Video...

Aside from those here's a really fast episode 42 (spoilers), not sure how I did so damn well on the first try, I think my next closest high score is in the 2000s.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I guess I'll throw in this. Actual footage of an intruder(Me) beating a defender! Real fun stuff!

Loading Video...
    artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do this a lot.

Loading Video...

Some dude decided to invade my FOB and I took care of that problem real quick.

Loading Video...
    Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did a level 40 four deck Support Platform Infiltration because why not:

Loading Video...

Part 2:

Loading Video...

And I invaded some scrub named @humanity's Combat Platform and got an S+ Volunteer out of it; though the story might not end there depending on what he does:

Loading Video...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@fredchuckdave: Thats pretty cool to see! It goes to show what kind of service you get when you only put the lowest ranked guards on security detail. These things are generally pretty easy as long as the defender doesn't come in. I've heard S ranked guards are way smarter than the shitty D rank guards.

I also wish I could use the rocket arm but I play inverted and you can't invert controls on the arm itself for some reason so aiming it is a real problem for me. Maybe they'll patch it in at some point.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

WHATS IN THE BOX?!!

Loading Video...

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Nice. For some reason it won't let me respond to the youtube comment but if you do decide to take sweet vengeance I'll do my best not to defend so you have a decent chance. I actually play non inverted and the arm being that way screws me up since I'm used to Batman flight being inverted and the like; but as long as you focus on it it's not too bad (also the up/down quotient isn't too relevant outside of Command/Combat).

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: That was such a good run I was one floor away from perfect stealthing it too then made that mistake of choking the guy out which didn't let me get my gun out in time. One second difference would have led me to a swifter victory!

I haven't invaded in a while and this was a long crawl through a level 3 so I was kinda nervous and fumbled on a lot of the stuff that I could have done better once the full assault happened. As a courtesy I didn't want to destroy or fulton anything I didn't need to. Sorry for shooting those doods.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: Its so stupid but I laugh at that every goddamn time I watch the video.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By mike

Interested to see what you guys think of this FOB defense I did last night of my own base, especially @mirado. The entire time I was positive I was dealing with a hacker. The first five minutes of the invasion weren't recorded, but this guy was laying down a constant barrage of sniper fire - it seemed like too much sniper rifle fire. (You can hear this continuing throughout most of the video.) Then, I shot him in the head twice in quick succession with the 12.7mm rifle and he didn't even flinch, he just kept on shooting my troops. That's when I respawned and started recording. He seems to take an awful lot of grenade hits, and I eventually resorted to using my tranq rifle to try and stop him. I was never quite fast enough to fulton him, though.

The most obvious besides the initial engagement is if you skip to 6m50s, but the whole thing is probably worth watching to get a sense of what I was dealing with. First order of business before I do any more FOB stuff is to set up a full sleep and stun loadout in order to deal with this kind of thing.

Loading Video...

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mike: This one is hard to say; I've dealt with unlimited health hackers before, and you usually get multiple "intruder eliminated" pop-ups as they technically take enough damage to die, but then they get right back up. Eventually the shitty script-kiddy style coding bugs out if they take enough damage and then they just drop, as you see here, but it's hard to tell as a normal invader takes a good 8-10 grenades to drop if they are wearing the battle dress. The 12.7mm rifle shots to the head are worrying, though, as that should be an instant kill. It's certainly plausible, if not as explicit as some other cases.

As for the sniper ammo situation, I can get something like 100 rounds on my 7.76mm semi-auto sniper (the Burkov?) without resorting to the weapon customization bug, although it's also possible that they decided to use that to their advantage as well. Then again, if they are going to do that, they'd usually make a silenced 100 shot rocket launcher or something really broken, so I'm not sure if that's the case here.

Either way, good job holding them off. I've found that hackers are actually pretty crappy invaders, so it's twice as sweet to win when you face one, as you know they wouldn't stand a chance otherwise.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mirado: Yeah, I see what you mean. Although, what really cemented it for me was the end when he died so quickly from just a couple of Hail grenades I lobbed his direction. Dying to that, but not a full magazine of Hail to the face or two rounds of 50 cal to the head...something is up! Of course it's also possible we are just dealing with terrible netcode, too. Who knows.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mike: If you want to talk about netcode, there's no better example than how the nukes work:

You see them sitting there on someone's base, so you take them. Then it takes a bunch of hours to register that you've taken them, during which time people can steal them back. Ok, that's fine, right? Except my target is still registering as having nukes, so you can go back and steal the ones that you just took. While that was happening, someone stole the nukes that I took, but the timer ticked over to allow me to disarm them, so I got credit for disarming nukes I didn't have.

Then someone stole the nukes I disarmed.

What a mess.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought this was an inventive way to complete this mission:

Loading Video...

And my favorite death so far:

Loading Video...

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By mike

Dropped in for a side op a little too close to a tank and some troops, happened to have the Serval 12.7 rifle on me. Turns out it actually works against tanks, although it did take quite a few rounds to finally set it on fire. See if you can spot the tank round flying right over my head at one point in the video - and by the way, they are fully modeled which is pretty cool. I also think this video does a good job of showcasing how incredible the sound design in Phantom Pain is, from the dirt raining down after a tank round impacts the rocks I was hiding behind, to distant gunfire, and bullets pinging around in front of me.

No Caption Provided

Also, the in-game description of the Serval talks about it's "near-flat" bullet trajectory, which doesn't seem accurate at all. This rifle seems to have more bullet drop than any other rifle I've used so far, at least when firing it from an elevated position. Also, somehow it has enough penetration to go through the side armor of a tank, but not through a cement barricade. Anyway, enjoy my poor shooting in glorious 60 FPS! This is recorded with everything maxed out, depth of field and motion blur turned off, and 64x SLI AA and 8x SLI supersampling.

Loading Video...

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mike: Here's an interesting heated landing I had:

Loading Video...

In honor of @starvinggamer's transcendent knowledge I made a bunch of Zorn videos, here's the other two most interesting ones:

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

No Caption Provided

Vinny 'Frantic Crab' Caravella reporting for duty

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity Let it be known that I am merciful:

No Caption Provided

Story forthcoming in a couple hours.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Alright so I went and retaliated against @humanity last night, demonstrating a few interesting tricks along the way:

Loading Video...

And today whilst doing this (might be useful for some people):

Loading Video...

That bastard dared invade me, not entirely sure of the outcome since I still feel guilty if I defend too much due to how utterly trivial it is for the defender to win.

Few notes: The buffer smoke is just in case the guards snuck up behind me as they are wont to do, super advanced scouting is really useful on the combat platform and you really only need to take out the guys on the upper layers, but it does make the render distance glaringly obvious. Smoke can work through the ground and around a pretty huge radius which makes it pretty gamebreaking on the medical main platform especially. Shotguns make your guards see from shorter ranges and Sniper Rifles make them see from a much longer distance, it also impacts their positioning on the platform.

Retaliation missions give you way more volunteers than normal missions even against poorly defended platforms, however even getting 100ish volunteers from FOBs over the course of yesterday I didn't get a single S+ or S++; I did however get an S+ from a successful defense when I woke up this morning.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: I still don't understand why my guys are carrying around SMG's when they should be carrying shotguns.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mike: I quite like taking out helicopters with the silenced semi-automatic Serval. With the extended mag it holds 10 rounds, so you can put a out a decent amount of damage when you go into Reflex Mode.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This guy should have realized Grenade Launcher always wins, even 100 meters away:

Loading Video...

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Early game spoilers ahead, but this one's just too good not to embed (no cutscenes so not as big of a deal), also answered quite a few questions I had about the fight (there really isn't anything more interesting you can do with her). Also her positioning options seem to have changed since the last time I did the fight so that's cool. Thank God D-Walker's aim is so terrible that this was possible:

Loading Video...

Also a rather lucky moment I had that seemed amusing enough:

Loading Video...

iDJOE142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's a vid of me taking on various fob invaders.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O1GfXSPt2zo

Frybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#87  Edited By Frybird

Man, there's a bunch of Moments i recorded but need to upload.

But let's start with the most recent one:

As you know, you can get an S Rank by completing a mission very quickly. But after i've done Mission/Episode 41 by sprinting into tanks that try to shoot me and tear up Africa with my mediocre D-Walker piloting skills, i don't think i deserved an S-Ranking for it.

(No real spoilers, Mission 41 doesn't seem to be story relevant)

Loading Video...

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I had the game idling while I was making dinner and got an alert somebody was invading my FOB. I was worried about my dinner burning, but I'm glad I decided to defend myself because it was the greatest FOB Defense ever.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for vindictivepotato
    VindictivePotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well. mine is nothing special, its just a review of the game.

I do have a clip in there that I made that references Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon in association to MGS' gameplay. I'll have the video start from there .

Loading Video...

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently Bampeve has like 5 more guys after the patch (Note despite the S+ being in the wild it doesn't seem like it actually gave him to me):

Loading Video...

And immediately thereafter:

Loading Video...

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An MGO highlight (Hour long match):

Loading Video...

LtTibbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By LtTibbles

@fredchuckdave: Maaaan I almost feel like buying a PS4 copy just to skip the wait...

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Fredchuckdave

More MGO Stuff, had my first occasion of running completely out of ammo, which is always a good sign in shooters (I've lived for like 10 minutes before but usually I pick up more Macht ammo or I use it sparingly enough):

Loading Video...

And here's a heroic effort on my part but not much I could do:

Loading Video...

SS from the end of that round:

No Caption Provided

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Fredchuckdave

MGO, yep.

Here's why you don't fuck with Troy Baker:

Loading Video...

And some surprisingly effective usage of the ol' Kabarga (funny name amirite?):

Loading Video...

Every map in this game is good but Grey Rampart is amazing.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can run but you can't hide.

Loading Video...

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@l1ghtn1n@hassun@mikelemmer; here's the first life I had once that game got started (Ocelot has ricocheting bullets for marked enemies) in lieu of watching Street Fighter:

Loading Video...

Later that same game:

Loading Video...

Sometimes Walkers can be your friends, too:

Loading Video...

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty silly round start (only my side of party chat):

Loading Video...

And I'm invisible, apparently:

Loading Video...

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@TechnoSyndrome: That FOB defense made me laugh out loud pretty hard; thank you for that!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.