Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mercenaries 2: World in Flames

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Aug 31, 2008

The sequel to the critically acclaimed Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction. Now set in war-torn Venezuela, the player again takes on contracts for various warring factions on a quest for payback.

GameSpot Review Score = 5.0

• 69 results
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#51  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    Hamz said:
    "Honestly i've heard a lot of bad press about Mercs 2 lately so i sort of expected some reviews like this. But that being said i'm not sure why Aaron Thomas was picked to review the game since he is mainly a Sports gamer. It's like getting Jeff to review a sports game, it just doesn't seem right?

Also a 5.0/10 isn't a bad score. Its means the game is probably worth renting or borrowing from a friend instead of paying full price for it."
    Your forgetting how corrupt a 10 point rating scale is. Generally, 5 means its a terrible game and no-one should buy it. Its an equivalent to a 1 on GB's rating scale. The only reason reviewers give games less than 5 is either for comic effect, or he has something personal against the game. Unless gamespot are starting to try and rectify that by actually making 5 average, and if they are, I applaud them, but unless they come out and publicly say that, they are going to get allot of flack for it, and even if they do allot of people are still not going to be happy.
    Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By Dizzyhippos

Not to be a Dick but how stupid are you guys going to feel if whoever reviews it for giantbomb gives it a 2 or 1

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

GameSpot reviewers suck you can't trust them any more the game could be amazing for God's sake!

Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Shocker

I think that's a little harsh. But I have never been that interested in this game. I just like the commercial.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By RHCPfan24

I bought it the day it came out and I really enjoy it.  It has its problems but it is better than Just Cause.  A 7.5-maybe even 8.0 for me.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By BiggerBomb
    TwoOneFive said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "Aaron Thomas is a joke. He once started talking trash to me on the forums because I stood up to some mod-wannabe tool. Whatta jackass."
    i think i remember that, the dude writes a lame ass blog right defending GS right?"

Nah, that must have been another time that Aaron decided to be a douche bag.

I made a topic in the Gamespot Crew forum requesting that mods attatch a link to the thread where you "violated the Terms of Service." Then some stupid cunt who bent over backwards for the mods goes off telling me how my post was made in the wrong forum and blah blah blah. So I tell him something along the lines of "if you want to get noticed, think outside the box. I get ToS violations daily and I have no clue what I did wrong." Then Aaron bursts in and starts calling me a pain the ass, or an ass, or whatever. He then started ripping apart my idea (with no logic in his argument) and then disappeared without responding to any of my messages.

That's when I said "fuck you" to Gamespot and left.
    mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By mrfluke

aww damm i agree its wierd having a old schooler aaron t that normally does the sports games do this but yeh 5/10 could basically equal a 3/5  and im betting thats what giantbomb is gonna give mercs 2 if they review it  would you guys start complaining then? for us gamers it hurts more seeing a 5/10 than a 3/5 i believe thats why i like giant bombs 5 star system now it leads to less fighting :)

i am no way backing up gamespot as a site because the crap that happened to jeff is shady as fuck to say the least but i still got respect for the other less know members of the old crew ( ryan mc, brian,aaron,justin,thor etc) i have ZERO respect for the "replacements" that they hired those guys seems real stuck-up ( i still listen to the hotspot once in a while as the bombcast) theres a new guy named tom mc shea who just pisses me the hell off

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By mrfluke

nah man he actually did play it over the weekend a lot  i have him on my friends list

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#59  Edited By Branthog

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By TheFreeMan

Gamespot lost it's reviewing credibility with me a long time ago, so this doesn't hold much weight with me. I got Mercs 2 a day ago and so far, I'm enjoying the heck out of it, and all of the bugs they've been ranting about I haven't encountered. Just some weird collision detecting, for me.

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Major
    Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "So, they think it's on par with Too Human

I mean . . . that seems a little harsh. "
    I've seen quite a few reviews that have TH rated higher than Mercs 2.
    I loved playing TH but I doubt it's actually better than Mercs
    DragonEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#63  Edited By DragonEye
    Rain_Dog said:
    "Dayum

I didn't see that one coming."
    Maybe the sponsors didn't pay them enough.... If you want the point you gotta have the cash...
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#64  Edited By oldschool

Here's the thing, reviewers are just stating a personal view.  Why do we care?  If you look at many games on Metacritic, you will see a gulf that is as big as the Grand Canyon when looking at the best and the worst.  You can be left wondering, "did they play the same game?"  I have played Halo & Halo 2, and I wouldn't give either of them a score above 60,  So what!  Surely no-one gives a large rodent's behind what I think?  Reviews are a guide and you just take out of them what you need, with the emphasis on YOU.

Just for the record, here are the 2 best and the 2 worst reviews - see what I mean:

GamingTrend
    Mercenaries 2 is absolutely fun in spite of its quirks and should be at the top of everyone’s must buy list.

NZGamer
    The ability to approach missions as you want to or just cruise around town in a tank, blowing stuff up is something you can't get anywhere else and simply must be experienced.

GameSpot
    Mercenaries 2 is filled with bugs and glitches that are unacceptable in a retail release. Even if it were possible to overlook the broken elements, you're still left with abysmal AI, repetitive mission structure, unsatisfying weapons, and a huge world without much to do.

EuroGamer
    The usually reliable Pandemic has produced a game that not only fails to compete with any current-generation openworld, but somehow takes a backward step from the original. With uninspiring combat contributing to a succession of desperately poor missions, the only remaining question is whether the developer will get a third chance to rectify matters.

The Gamespot specific bashing seems a little trite and unnecessary.  This from someone who lasted 3 months on the site and was given a lifetime ban.  I have every reason to hate them, but come on, this is ridiculous.

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65  Edited By xxNBxx
    ZombieHunter said:
    "i didnt say i could play it Nb where did i say that ??? hmm ^.^ "

no but
    Meresin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Meresin

A review is just one man's opinion.

calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By calf_exercises

man, that is truely under rate, when you see a 5.0 on G$ you think of a game that plays but is terrable and you would rather wipe your ass with sand paper than play it. this game doesnt seem that bad to me.

i think gamespot needs to stand back and rethink theyre reviews

TonicBH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#68  Edited By TonicBH

Man. What the hell's with the Aaron Thomas hate? As much as I disagree with him sometimes, there's no reason to say he's an idiot and somesuch.

Unless he really did something you severely hated him for, besides giving your favorite game not a 10.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#69  Edited By xplodedd

I don't know, the bugs do seem kind of severe.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.