Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Franchise »

Mass Effect is a science fiction franchise created by BioWare. The main games follow the adventures of Commander Shepard, the first human Spectre, as he/she tries to protect the galaxy from an ancient and malevolent alien race.

Is the rumored "HD" remake coming?

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Quipido

Couple of weeks/months ago some rumors came up that the 3 games are going to be re-released for the current gen consoles. I was just about to replay all the games from the beginning that very week so I put that on hold and waited for some more info. It's after E3 and still nothing as far as I can tell, anyone has any idea if it's coming? I have no problem playing the games I already have, but if a better version is on its way (hopefully with all the DLC as I missed that, some of those were not sold in my region at all) I'd rather wait.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Honestly, I expected the announcement at E3 myself. Only thing I can think of is that they are going to announce it at Gamescom? I would totally buy it just for the ability to play through 2 and 3 again and get some new trophies while I am at it. I recently tried to play through the first ME on PS3 and boy...its hard to go through. Still, great story.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

Yeah, I remember that rumor too. Since nothing was announced, I have to guess it's either far enough off that you shouldn't worry about it or it's not coming. EA is in a drought, and if they had anything like that to push out in the meantime they'd have happily shoved it out in some manner much like how Microsoft is pushing the Halo collection to hold over fans until Halo 5.

ryanmgraef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ryanmgraef

I hope so! One of my favorite series of last gen. I would love to play them all again, remasterd.

Hopefully they do it right, with every piece of dlc included!

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By natetodamax

One can hope! I would love to see that.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think if it's happening sometime soon EA would've announced it in their press conference seeing as they had shit all games to reveal other than "conceptual prototypes". They could've easily snuck it in by saying "Here's your chance to revisit the Mass Effect universe before you get your hands on the next generation of Mass Effect in the near future". I'd say it's unlikely at this point but then again, stranger things have happened.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Turambar

I think it's more likely that the series will just become available via the digital stores.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Given's EA's lack of actual content at E3, I'd think that if it was coming this year, they would have mentioned it.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah like others have said i'd be surprised if it happens this year if at all.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10 chaser324  Moderator

I'm guessing we won't see the new Mass Effect game until 2016 at the earliest, so there's still plenty of time between then and now to announce and release an HD collection.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I hope they come out with it. Even though I've played each game 3-4 times each I would gladly play them again in HD on my PS4.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its called the PC version. 1080p 60fps.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, looks like it's not coming in a forseeable future.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By EthanielRain

It's about as close to a guaranteed thing as you can get...just not soon, apparently.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I think it'll come out around the actual reveal for the next Mass Effect game. Maybe a year before it. Something to get people hyped up for the Mass Effect universe again. Releasing it now doesn't make much sense other than EA isn't really launching anything else.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#16 gamer_152  Moderator

I'm about 50/50 on whether we'll see it in the near future. It seems like an easy and potentially popular thing to release for the new consoles, but if it was just around the corner E3 would have been the place for EA to show it.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It'd be really nice if it did. I'm on the pro side of all these remakes. I understand the prospect of paying money for games you already have is a little strange, but in my case (The Last of Us for instance) I'll just wait until it comes down in price, pick it up and have it on a system I have plugged in. Also, they'll look better.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AlexGBRO

i think the hd pack will be at next year e3 for a fall date in 2015 because the mass effect game that they are developing it still 2 years off i fell that game will be a spring 2016 (if they were farther along they would given us a real inengine trailer at e3 2014)

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two and a half year later and still it looks like this won't happen - now that the new game is around the corner, what are the chances of the original trilogy getting a release? Probably really low, sadly. If they put out the trilogy with all the dlc for 60 bucks I would buy it right now (on PS4 - don't have a gaming PC) and I don't buy new games at full price anymore, or really rarely.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

@quipido: I think the Xbox One compatibility announcement put a nail in the remake's coffin. Though it works out for me (XB1 owner, own trilogy + DLC on 360), it does suck for those that don't have the same setup. You definitely have my sympathy here.

Avatar image for deactivated-587b6acd5d124
    deactivated-587b6acd5d124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are these substantiated rumors or just people saying what they want on a message board?

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Quipido

@darth_navster: That's a good point, I gave my 360 away years ago but I do have the games physically and I do own some of the DLC as well, so at some point in the future I could see myself getting XBOne and getting back to it. The problem there is in my country some of the DLC never came out so I'll never be able to play all of it anyway. The convinience of the remester would do so much for me for all those reasons.

EDIT: I see I mentioned some of that in my original post 2+ years ago, sorry about that.

@jackiechansfoot said:

Are these substantiated rumors or just people saying what they want on a message board?

At the time it was more than that - there was some leaked retailer advertisement or something along those lines, which sometimes actually does point in the direction of what is going to happen. Not this time though.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

It's interesting EA of all companies hasn't done any HD collections. I actually went back to Mass Effect 1 & 2 in Nov and Dec and found that they weren't very good, just ok. Everybody knows M1's stacks of issues but M2 has it's own major problems. How can a universe this big give you so little to explore? Every world is a lazily designed tiny corridor in the name of streamlining. EA probably knows this dirty little not-so-secret secret and with Andromeda coming out, it's not wise to come out with this, especially considering how much they fumbled M3.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: Sure, games have moved on, but there is much love for these games still. I played all of them about two years ago, when I realised this remaster probably would not be happening, and absoluteley loved them all. My favourite is still the first one, but I haven't had any major issues with ME3 either (I did play it with Leviathan and some other DLC for the first time, same as Brad), ME2 is brilliant and the trilogy as a whole is still one of my all time favourites (which is why I would buy a remake, obviously). I really don't know if it would or would not be beneficial to release a complete remaster, my guess is they would make a lot of money and remind people why they loved it in the first place, before releasing a new game.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

@quipido: Right, and I'm saying that they're going to use that love to try and sell as much Andromeda as possible. I still have no doubt that you'll get your Mass Effect HD collection. It will happen, it's a no brainer and it doesn't matter when they do it. In fact, I'd bet they'd sell more the longer they wait. As for the remaster reminding people about why they love the series, that's where our opinions differ.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: Cool, glad to see a different opinion anytime! For me it's the trend of making everything open world these days - I think it actively makes some established franchises worse. Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy come to mind. And I love open world games, just don't need to all games be that. Give me a couple of awesome vistas in Mass Effect and I'm happy (speaking about the old games), as long as the universe/lore is fleshed out, it does not feel shallow to me. When they announced Andromeda to be Dragon Age Inquisition-ish in structure, I instantly went from a pre-order mode to wait for quicklook/reviews mode. And as mentioned before, I learned not to pre-order or even buy new games at all lately, because of another cool trend: games coming out unfinished these days (Dave Langs email on the last Bombcast about this is interesting, I have ton of respect for him as a developer, but I can not agree with him that this new situation is NOT affecting developement).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.