Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 21, 2017

Set in a galaxy far from the Milky Way, Mass Effect: Andromeda puts players in the role of a Pathfinder tasked with exploring new habitable worlds and investigating mysterious technology.

Worth It For 30 Bucks?

OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OceanEve

So this is on sale this week on psn for 30 dollars. I really like the nass effect series and was kind of curious to check it out, but was a bit turned off by some of the negative things said about it. With all that being said, do you think it's worth playing at that price? I'm playing DA: Inquisition at the moment for the first time and so I probably wouldn't play it soon, but I would hate to pass up on a good sale.

So what do you all think? ^_^

GuitarGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

looks like a decent game tbh

but i wouldn't spend more than 20 on it, thats just me

i'm pretty fatigued of open world games

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$30 is better than $60

But there are also way better games you could spend that $30 on

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@giantlennonx_x: If you're not going to play soon, then I'd just wait. Andromeda is the kind of game that's likely to get really cheap really quickly. It's only been three months; I'd be surprised if it doesn't go sub-$20 before end of the year.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Id have to say no. That game is terrible, facial animations or not. It's extremely boring and extremely skipable.

Johnny_Sailor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nah, wait for some kind of super sale, and don't pay more than $10 if you're just dying to play it. Otherwise don't buy it and reward EA for making garbage.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How much do you value your time?

Nixamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. Just don't expect it to be the second coming of a BioWare that never existed.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Not worth it. Maybe $15, but if you value your time there is too many better games to play.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I bought, for the same reasons as you, it on Origin this week on sale and I'd have to say no.

My god, that game is dull. The more obvious jank has been patched out but animations are frankly laughable. Combat's probably the most enjoyable part so far (I'm 15 hours in and wondering if I'll make it to 16) but it's still Bioware's idea of combat.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Deathstriker

I don't regret buying the game, it's probably the second best RPG I've played this gen. Witcher 3 beats it by miles, but I'd put MEA over Fallout 4 and Dragon Age Inquisition. I regretted buying Destiny and Evolve since they weren't worth $60, but not MEA, so $30 is even more bang for the buck. If you're liking DAI you'll probably like MEA way more - it definitely has better gameplay, story, and graphics - the characters are about even IMO.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it will go lower but I dont think thats a bad price. The game isnt as awful as some people make it out to be. It's just a very dissapointing Mass Effect/Bioware game.

Also the multiplayer seems alright if you've got people to play it with.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For 30, sure. Kinda depends on what that 30 bucks is worth to you .

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it would be more worth it if you took that money and bought a pile of fat burritos instead.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a once big fan of the series I decided to try this game last week as the storm of rage seemed to be mostly over. Turns out the game is really mediocre and it's a waste of time and money.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you like the multiplayer in 3? If not i would wait for a further discount honestly, it's not "bad" just horribly mediocre.

OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocckob: I'm not a fan of burritos, unfortunately :( but thank you! ^_^

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NTM

The game is totally fine to me. I bought it the first day on the PS4 and thought it was good overall. I'm not trying to defend the game with dishonesty, but I really didn't run into the myriad of bugs and glitches some others had; there were a few here and there, one of which made it so the door to a location that held a character wouldn't load so a door wouldn't open, or the door opened and I walked off a cliff into the black abyss since her room didn't even load. The game isn't quite as good as what's in the original trilogy, and it does an open world gaming sin by giving too many inconsequential side quest that feels fetch quest-y and doesn't really do much to develop the world or story. They're more a way to get you to upgrade, and it's kind of crappy. Also, some of the music is good, but again, by comparison to the original trilogy the music is generic sounding and for it, forgettable.

The story has issues and is a bit cliche, but that, as well as characters, are good enough. I just felt that the cast of characters each fit the archetype role that you've seen before with minor tweaks. They're pretty predictable but still likable. I like that Ryder has a little more personality than Shepard. The shooting is, in my opinion, marginally better than what was in the trilogy, so it's pretty good. I didn't feel a need to fiddle too much with a different assortment of weaponry though since at some point down the line (long before the adventure is over mind you) you get weapons powerful enough to stick with throughout its entirety. Eh... I may update this if I have something else to say. I say it's worth getting, just know it's not exceptional. Thirty bucks is a good price.

I will say that Dragon Age: Inquisition also has the offense of making the same mistake with side quests, but everything surrounding it made that aspect negligible; I loved Inquisition despite that. I should also mention, doing everything in Inquisition (minus DLC) is around 110 hours. Mass Effect Andromeda is the same; I did everything I can minus a handful of minor tasks and completed it right at 100 hours. I should mention that I have not gone back to the game since they've put out the few updates that seem to have made it even better. As I played it, and as it still is I'm sure, it stands a good game, but not superb. It's just unfortunate we may not see a sequel, either ever or soon because I think it could become a great trilogy overall.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giantlennonx_x: That may be making his point! Ha ha. I don't agree, but still.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you know it's not amazing going in, I say why not? I had a few yuks and thirty bucks is reasonable.

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently bought Mafia 3 from best buy for $25 dollars.

I also Bought Mass Effect 4 day one for $60 dollars.

Mass Effect 4 was the better time investment.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

No.

ME:A is not a very good game. Unfortunately it can't even manage to be a memorable failure. It's a game that took no risks, tried to play it safe, and then failed anyway. While its undisputed you will get many "hours" out of it, those hours aren't worth much when they are filled with vapid characters, high-school fan-fiction level writing, a forgettable villain, bad UI, and character models which, even after all the patches, still look and move like geminoids.

My point is there are better games out there for your money. If you are willing to spend just a bit more, Horizon and Nioh are both showing at $40 on PSN right now. Both of those are vastly superior games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.