Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Free on Origin [On the House]

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By liquiddragon

Doesn't say for how long but EA is giving away the standard edition of ME2. Standard edition doesn't include Shadow Broker :( but I guess it does come with the soundtrack which is neat.

how to get it:

• go to "Free Games -> On the House" tab
    Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Hayt

Thanks for the tip off. I don't think I'd ever play the Origin version over my steam one but I feel a compulsion to add free games to my Origin account whenever they appear.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

@hayt: hmm, I thought this would be one of the few games to play on Origin sense ME3 is not on Steam.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

And now I have two digital copies of Mass Effect 2 on Origin because fuck it I'll take free shit even if I have it already.

@hayt said:

Thanks for the tip off. I don't think I'd ever play the Origin version over my steam one but I feel a compulsion to add free games to my Origin account whenever they appear.

Aside from picking your DRM poison and the Origin version making it easier to give EA more money, is there much of a difference between the two versions?

spiketail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Thanks for the info!

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@facelessvixen: They're exactly the same game. I simply mean that Steam is where I keep 95% of my games so it'd be where I'd launch ME2 from.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Ooh, nice. I own it and 3 on PS3, but those aren't exactly great versions, performancefully speaking.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NeoCalypso

Can't believe all the dlc for this game is still full price. 45 bucks total for 6 year old dlc seems.... a little crazy. Especially when you consider the PS3 version of the game comes with all the dlc(except for The Arrival and some items) and you can get that for like 5 bucks these days.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Does this game still not have controller support? I always want to replay me 2 bit on controller :(

sadsadsad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does this game still not have controller support? I always want to replay me 2 bit on controller :(

Controller support was restored by modders.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

@hayt: It's a lot easier to get DLC for ME2 on Origin, since it's all built into the client. Pretty sure you have do it the old-fashioned way and go to Bioware's site to download it for the Steam version, which is a hassle.

@liquiddragon: ME2 predates the Origin client by about a year and a half, so that's why.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

Its a shame that all the DLC has not fallen in price AND you have to through some bullshit Bioware points system to pay for it.

On a related note remember how you had to buy points in order to buy games? God that was the worst thing about buying XBLA games back in the day. Glad we have moved past that.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Strange, does not show for me. Dungeon Keeper is still at the top of the Deals, on My Home and On The House. Going to ME2 manually says it is free with Access, otherwise 9.99€.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Strange, does not show for me. Dungeon Keeper is still at the top of the Deals, on My Home and On The House. Going to ME2 manually says it is free with Access, otherwise 9.99€.

Same thing for me. Wonder if it's a US thing? I'm in Canada.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@vasta_narada: It seems it was up only for few hours (night time in Europe) and is now over.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coolarman: Yeah. It's a huge bummer that Bioware does that. A few weeks ago, I thought to myself that with our holiday break coming up and 2 weeks off work, I'd play through Inquisition and ME3. So, despite owning both games, I went on EA's store looking to buy a version with all the DLC packaged in. A "Game of the Year" version. Nope.

I start downloading both and then start looking at the DLC. You have to buy it piecemeal. None of it is on sale and it's all done through Bioware Points. I priced out the DLC I thought I'd want, and either I couldn't get it without having extra points left over, or got turned off by having $40+ in piecemeal DLC for a game I paid $60 for that I just said screw it and uninstalled everything. The strange thing is, if there was a GOTY version with all the DLC built in, I was ready to spend $40 for it.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this may not be dead, it might have just started too early.

Bioware is doing a five days of freebies, which is supposed to have started today and I can't imagine that ME2 wasn't supposed to be part of that so considering it was slightly hidden and they didn't announce it or anything I'll bet it's coming back today but officially this time.

yeahimjordan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yesiamaduck: ive read about modded controller support but not sure how great it is.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

O well, it reminded me that I still have some trials of Star Wars Battlefront (not a very good game) and Plants vs Zombies 2 (kinda alright!) left.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre said:

@coolarman: Yeah. It's a huge bummer that Bioware does that. A few weeks ago, I thought to myself that with our holiday break coming up and 2 weeks off work, I'd play through Inquisition and ME3. So, despite owning both games, I went on EA's store looking to buy a version with all the DLC packaged in. A "Game of the Year" version. Nope.

I start downloading both and then start looking at the DLC. You have to buy it piecemeal. None of it is on sale and it's all done through Bioware Points. I priced out the DLC I thought I'd want, and either I couldn't get it without having extra points left over, or got turned off by having $40+ in piecemeal DLC for a game I paid $60 for that I just said screw it and uninstalled everything. The strange thing is, if there was a GOTY version with all the DLC built in, I was ready to spend $40 for it.

Inquisition has a GOTY Edition, and it's pretty easy to find it significantly cheaper than buying the DLC individually. I got for it like $25 earlier this year.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@oursin_360 said:

@yesiamaduck: ive read about modded controller support but not sure how great it is.

It's great. Full functionality, full UI, power wheel, etc. in all three games. It's exactly like playing the 360 version in terms of controls.

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like the game was put out for free to early because it is back on the house again since Jan. 5,. In other words, you can get Mass Effect 2 again for free if you go to the "On the House" on the Oirigin store page.

https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/free-games/on-the-house

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.