Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mac

Platform »

The Macintosh (Mac) line of personal computers is designed and developed by Apple, Inc. - formerly Apple Computer, Inc. It runs macOS, a Unix operating system. Its current version, macOS 13.4 "Ventura" was released on May 18, 2023.

MacBook Pro (but not for games)

entmoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By entmoot

It's a real shame that when I want to play a game on my MacBook Pro I am met at every turn with a new obstacle. These machines have decent power, but maybe they belie their true gaming prowess. All I know is that I am disappointed, especially with the lack of support from third party developers. 

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mikemcn

If you want to play PC games, don't get a mac.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Dany

@Mikemcn said:

Yeah, it is kinda the unspoken compromise when you buy a mac but they have been getting better in the past few years, more games support mac but don't compare to PC.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mikemcn

And doesn't steam work with Mac? Try that, you could at least play some Valve games.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By iam3green

what mikemcn said, check out steam see if those games work. you have to look around to find a game that works on macs, i guess.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Sooty

OS X is garbage for games even with Steam support. You need to run Windows really, the framerates compared to the OS X versions of games is always much better in Windows pretty much. There's very few exceptions to this.

Of course it's fine for simple 2D and low level 3D games (older games) but when you're playing a newer title you'll want every bit of FPS you can get, especially on laptop graphics, for that reason you should boot camp Windows.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Dany

Well, truth be told, I played Portal 2 in my macbook pro 13" and it was fine. some jitters here and there but overall it was fine.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By ShadowSkill11

@Entmoot said:

It's a real shame that when I want to play a game on my MacBook Pro I am met at every turn with a new obstacle. These machines have decent power, but maybe they belie their true gaming prowess. All I know is that I am disappointed, especially with the lack of support from third party developers.

Why are you crying about not being able to play games? You bought a Mac. What did you expect?

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TotalEklypse
    @Mikemcn said:

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

That's why giving apple money is a very terrible thing to do.  

Xsheps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Xsheps

They don't have the game library of PCs but do have Blizzard games, the Civilization series, and a good library of (very) casual games and iOS ports on the Mac App store.  Just don't expect to play the most recent shooters and adventure games without some type of windows installation.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By subject2change

It's not the laptops fault it's OSX's fault. Bootcamp windows XP or 7 on it and you should get a noticable increase in performance. I need to upgrade my 160gig hard drive out of my MBP before I do this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.